crash when loading game

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hundane
General

Re: crash when loading game

Post by Hundane »

What setting are ppl using for the "Random Events" option?
The current game Im playing, its on Very High.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Playing on very high as usual, my crashes have been fixed since I used 1 day autosave, although it will crash once in a while for no reason (I mean I might see it once a real fortnight and I play a lot of SRCW).
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Okay, we got a new tip but it still could be a red herring...

Could those who are getting crashes on autosaves please disable their Windows Update and report back. Thanks.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Heres a guide on how to do it on W7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -on-or-off

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

FYI, if this DOES turn out to be Microsoft's fault I'm going to wander into the woods behind here and curse loudly and extensively...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:Okay, we got a new tip but it still could be a red herring...

Could those who are getting crashes on autosaves please disable their Windows Update and report back. Thanks.
I get this issue but its extremely rare. Never had autoupdates on. :wink:
Could be were dealing with 2 separate issues with similar symptoms though. Note I'm running XP as well so.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
icemanistheking
Lieutenant

Post by icemanistheking »

Balthagor wrote:Okay, we got a new tip but it still could be a red herring...

Update: My brother is playing CW on a different computer, and he could barely get a game started (a few months in-game, I believe) as East Germany before his game corrupted, attempted multiple times - and turning off Windows Update fixed his as well. I am running Vista and he is running Windows 7.

Note, we have both experienced crashes since then, but *not* game-ending crashes. We just load the uncorrupted autosave and the game plays past the crash point. A slight nuisance at worst, and definitely not a game-breaker.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I noticed I kept crashing every other time we tried to start the game via gameranger. I will turn my windows update off this weekend and see if it solves it (normally I don't have any trouble with it).

jks_AsPac
Warrant Officer

Post by jks_AsPac »

Hey guys, any updates to this? I just had a sudden crash galore today while playing SRCW. My game crashes suddenly then when I try to load the autosave file it crashes too. Some of my observations and experiences:

1. Yes it happens sometimes after an autosave but the strange thing is that I was able to unpause and play the game I don't know if during or right after the autosave but once I do, after a few seconds it crashes.

EXAMPLE: Autosave set to every month, April 1 arrives so it autosaves. I unpause then play til late April 1 or early April 2 then it crashes. I will load it using the autosave but it still crashes.

2. Manual saves also cause a crash even if it is paused or not. The annoying thing about this is that it also corrupts the savefile that I won't be able to play even that savefile which means if I don't have any other savefile of that game then I have to start over.

Aside from these the crashes appear to occur quite randomly. Any solutions or workarounds?

On a side note, I've tried the re-caching solution on the paradox forum http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... ng-loading. But once I remove the file stated then load a new sandbox game as instructed, it loads then freezes but the music is still playing. (I know it freezes cause when I open task manager it says not responding...) Any way around this cause I think it worked for some people.

EDIT: I have the latest version 7.2.2
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

No one has reported this with the testing for update 3 so it may be fixed. Feel free to join the testing;

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 63&t=20352
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
jks_AsPac
Warrant Officer

Post by jks_AsPac »

Okay. Thanks Balthagor! Curious though, would I be able to reload any of my save games that got affected by that crash? Although I know the chances of recovering them are slim, it would really be a relief to me to know that all my RL hours were not wasted and, I think I may have just also corrupted the savefile I kept for my AAR here, so I would be ecstatic if that update would recover it. http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 64&t=20353
number47
General

Post by number47 »

@ jks_AsPac
Use the autosave option "1 day" and you should have no problems with crashing anymore. Sure, it will crash here and there but you'll always have at least two autosaves so the worst case scenario is you'll have to replay last two days. :wink:

Personaly, I'm experiencing a lot of crashing with this beta release but it was expected as I noticed this before with update 2.2..
I have Impulse (gamestop or gamestore, I can't remember now :oops: ) digital version of the game and when I use manual update, the game is very unstable but as soon as the proper update is released and Impulse apply's it on the game I should again have no problems with crashing (at least that is how it worked for me in update 2.2 :lol: )
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
jks_AsPac
Warrant Officer

Post by jks_AsPac »

Okay, thanks for the tip number47! I was just testing it out and yes the crashes were still there. I'm afraid I will not be able to continue the AAR into 1950 unless this is fixed since I feel like I'm wasting valuable time, to just have it crash suddenly in the middle of the game. Thanks for the help though!

@Balthagor: Hello! I think the update DID NOT fix the crashes. I hope you will be able to pinpoint the problem soon. It's really a turn off when you can't even play a proper game without crashing every now and then. I don't want to be such a critic or a complain-a-lot type of person since I really like your games as in it's a one in a billion game but I don't think we could enjoy the wonderful creation of your company if one of the crucial parts of it (like saving and loading a save game) doesn't work properly. I hope you were not offended by my words but I just really hope you can fix this problem. I have faith in you guys :) Good luck!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

@jks_AsPac - we're not seeing any crashing (other than the spy thing) in all our testing here. If we don't know what's causing the crash we don't know what to fix. We'll keep reviewing all the code as we work but it's a needle in a hay stack. Try again when the official update is out, hopefully we'll find it. And until then, using the 1 day autosave should reduce some of the frustration.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
jks_AsPac
Warrant Officer

Post by jks_AsPac »

Okay, I'm sorry I had to speak in that language. I think the frustration really got into me. Although I think number47 is also experiencing the same problem as myself. I will wait for the official patch hopefully curing that problem one way or another. For now, I guess the 1 day autosave will have to do. But really good job with the game, I really appreciate it. :)

Also, is there a way to have multiple autosaves for one game? So just in case it crashes, at the least 1 or 2 autosave files will not be corrupted.

Return to “Issues & Support”