Creating a Cache File

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

GenPatton43
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Creating a Cache File

Post by GenPatton43 »

OK, so, I've been following the walk through found on http://www.supremewiki.com/node/48 for editing units in SRCW. I wanted to change some unit values for aircraft like the F-86 & MiG-15. As a shortcut, I made a copy of the DEFAULT.UNIT file & saved it elsewhere on my PC and than edited the file in the Maps/Data folder. I've removed the original "Cold War".SAV file and kept it elsewhere.
I then relaunch SRCW and load "Cold War". Here's where I am stumped. This process is said to take anywhere from 30-120 minutes. Well, my PC compiles it in about 3 seconds.
OK, so I close SRCW and go to my save game file and locate the new cache file. Here's where the problem lies. The size of the new cache file is approx 4000kb, while the original game file is 8,000kb. Regardless, I restart the game and launch a new Sandbox campaign. Now, when I look at all of my unit info that I edited, its there, edited. So that's a win right? Problem is, NOTHING else is on the map. No cities, no units, no roads. Nothing. So, what did I miss?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Creating a Cache File

Post by Balthagor »

The default.unit file clearly got damaged somewhere. It contains the information for facilities on the map also. You'll have to find where you broke the file.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GenPatton43
Warrant Officer

Post by GenPatton43 »

See, I saw a similar issue mentioned by another member, so to try and avoid that, I changed one numeric unit value and nothing else. I'm just using notepad and no other program so for the life of me, I can't see what could possibly be damaged.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Try rebuilding a cache with an unmodified default.unit file and see if you encounter problems.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GenPatton43
Warrant Officer

Post by GenPatton43 »

Balthagor wrote:Try rebuilding a cache with an unmodified default.unit file and see if you encounter problems.
Found the issue. Thanks. The
&&Units had quotes around them. Not sure why since it was my understanding that occurred only if you used a spreadsheet program to organize the columns, which I'm not. Just using notepad.

Return to “Modding SRCW”