Question Regarding Mods and Creating them

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

GenPatton43
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Question Regarding Mods and Creating them

Post by GenPatton43 »

I was just curious what, if any, specific software is needed for creating Mods and if BG or Paradox is like other creators and makes any said software available for the user? I'm not looking to do anything drastic by any sense of the imagination but would consider going through the unit types and re-evaluating their skill sets. For example, for both Superpowers with aircraft like the MiG-15 & F-86 are undervalued. They were top aircraft of their era, so other units like the Yak-23 and F2H Banshee shouldn't outrank them in ability.
Other, yet smaller issues such as cruise missiles. I tend to invest early in this technology, even for missiles of that time I'll build thousands of AGM-12 & AGM-28's, but I kinda chuckle everytime I can deploy AGM-28 Hound Dog missiles on an F-4. (The AGM-28 was almost longer than the F4 itself. It was only originally intended for B-52's)
So, that along with creating a template of sorts that combined with my only real MOD that I use, that being Balthagor's Battle Group group MOD, I'd make an attempt to organize the military's of major powers into certain Brigade or Division sized units according to their respective TO&E's of that time. At least within reason. As I mentioned on another page, I'm kind of a stickler for authenticity. There's just something that speaks to me when I have a crisis and have to send the 82nd Airborne Division somewhere. Call me crazy. :lol:
One other area that I'd like to look into at least is creating or modifying the Mutual Defense Treaty so that a ceiling or cap is placed on allies and the number of units they can deploy to another nation UNLESS they specifically ask for help. For example, when I play the US, Canada has more of their military on my soil than they do their own. They sit on my bases and use up space. That aspect for the US isn't that bad, but it sucks when I go to send say, aircraft to help South Vietnam and because South Vietnam, for whatever reason, signed an MD Treaty with Indonesia, I become restricted with the number that I can send w/o having a swarm of jets flying around an already full airbase or field. So, my thoughts are to create something like an "Activate Mutual Defense Treaty" option so that unless an allie like South Korea is attacked, they don't become flooded with units from other allies. When attacked, THAN they put a call out to their allies asking for help. It also provides a little bit of a handicap for the player since generally you know when certain events are going to occur like the Korean War.
So, there ya have it. Any help is greatly appreciated and any suggestions are obviously welcomed as well. I'm not making any promises yet but if the hardest part is researching the units further, then it might be something I would take the time to go ahead and at least try.
Legend
General

Re: Question Regarding Mods and Creating them

Post by Legend »

Some of your points can be addressed by modding while other ideas could be pointed out to our studio, allowing us to make changes to the game. See threads relating to "unit errata" where we can review specific cases and update our databases. Some other forum members might be active in helping to point you around.

Other items could be added to the wishlist sections for us to consider for SR1936 - as a few of your ideas seem out of the scope of modding - but could make it into our release later this year.

One suggestion for you for our forums... try posting separate threads for separate ideas. One thread like this one, could be for general "getting into modding" discussions... while new threads linked from here could be used for creating and expanding on individual ideas.

While I haven't directly answered your questions I hope this helps a bit.

- Daxon
GenPatton43
Warrant Officer

Post by GenPatton43 »

Legend wrote:Some of your points can be addressed by modding while other ideas could be pointed out to our studio, allowing us to make changes to the game. See threads relating to "unit errata" where we can review specific cases and update our databases. Some other forum members might be active in helping to point you around.

Other items could be added to the wishlist sections for us to consider for SR1936 - as a few of your ideas seem out of the scope of modding - but could make it into our release later this year.

One suggestion for you for our forums... try posting separate threads for separate ideas. One thread like this one, could be for general "getting into modding" discussions... while new threads linked from here could be used for creating and expanding on individual ideas.

- Daxon
Thanks for the reply Dax. I will jot down these and some other thoughts and before going over to the game development area.
Are you able to answer the question regarding software? Is there any specific software one needs in general for modding or does it depend on what you're trying to do? I ask b/c I play the Arma Series which is made by Bohemia Interactive. I don't do a lot of mod or add on work for that game. Mostly missions or campaigns which is no big deal and I've done a few small maps also. But for maps for example, one needs Photoshop as well as some freeware that BI makes available for its fans/customers. I think there's around 10 different individual pieces of software that one needs to create an addon. Now, we're talking two entirely different types of games and I haven't played around with any files yet, but figured i'd ask before I do.
Thanks again!
-Chris
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

GenPatton43 wrote:
Legend wrote:Some of your points can be addressed by modding while other ideas could be pointed out to our studio, allowing us to make changes to the game. See threads relating to "unit errata" where we can review specific cases and update our databases. Some other forum members might be active in helping to point you around.

- Daxon
Thanks for the reply Dax. I will jot down these and some other thoughts and before going over to the game development area.
Are you able to answer the question regarding software? Is there any specific software one needs in general for modding or does it depend on what you're trying to do? I ask b/c I play the Arma Series which is made by Bohemia Interactive. I don't do a lot of mod or add on work for that game. Mostly missions or campaigns which is no big deal and I've done a few small maps also. But for maps for example, one needs Photoshop as well as some freeware that BI makes available for its fans/customers. I think there's around 10 different individual pieces of software that one needs to create an addon. Now, we're talking two entirely different types of games and I haven't played around with any files yet, but figured i'd ask before I do.
Thanks again!
-Chris
Required software:
Updated version of SRCW for building cache.
Notepad for editing files.

Potentially helpful software:
An office program that can open .CSV file
Blender or another 3D modelling program if you're going to do any meshs
A paint program that can open/save .DDS if you're going to change any textures.
A web browser to access the supreme wiki.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace

Return to “Modding SRCW”