Alternate WWII ending Mod (Work in Progress)

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Aragos
General

Alternate WWII ending Mod (Work in Progress)

Post by Aragos »

Here it is folks. Any comments/ideas would be appreciated. It has not been fully playtested for all countries; all should work properly.

Alternate Cold War (Alternate World War II) Version 1.2 (1/25/12):

1.21 (1/25/12) Changelog:

--Massively increased volitlity. Not for the peaceful game. This is global war from the start.

1.20 Changelog:

--Reverted Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Israel, South Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia to independent status. Should fix the transit issue with Suez.
--Raised CB between Japan and China, North Vietnam and its neighbors, Germany/Poland, Germany/France and Germany/UK to very high. Expect more fighting.
--Increased number of neutral (white) countries. If you play as Blue or Red and set the diplomatic status to Hard or VH, expect difficulty in winning a sphere victory.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5s8VNI ... REM3M/edit
Install Instructions: Unzip the package to any created folder (Alternate Cold War, etc).

Move the following files to the listed locations--

Cold War Alt. SAV to Cache folder (thanks Number47!)
Cold War Alt.Scenario to Campaign folder
Cold Waralt.csv to Campaign folder

Folder ORBATAlt to Maps folder
ColdWaralt.CVP to Maps folder
ColdWaralt.REGIONINCL to Maps folder
ColdWaralt.OOF to Maps folder

DEFAULTalt.UNIT to Maps\DATA folder

Changes to 1.1:
Added new Japanese ships (Yamato Class, etc.) to Order of Battle
Added new Japanese aircraft to OOB
Added 2 new Japanese Air Fab plants in Japan
Removed Australian P-51 from Japan
All US and USSR forces start in Reserve Pool

All basic files for further modding are included, so feel free to mod as you see fit!

Basic Scenario: Many of the WWII-era countries are still intact and own their pre-1939 colonies:

Netherlands--all standard 1949 scenario colonies plus Indonesia
UK--annexation of Gibraltar, Malta, Singapore, colonial status of Egypt, Suez Canal, Jordan, Israel and Palestine
France--colonial status for Morocco, SE Asia (minus North Vietnam), Syria, Lebanon
Italy--colonial status for Libya, Somaliland, Eritrea, Ethopia
US--annex Guam and Puerto Rico, colonial status for Panama Canal Zone
USSR--colonial status of Baltic States, annexation of all Soviet colonies within USSR
Japan--annex Taiwan, both Koreas, Yap/Marianas
Germany--annex Austria, East & West Germany, Saarland

At Start Alliances:
*UK-France
*UK w/Commonwealth (Australia, Canada, NZ, South Africa)

USA
*Philippines

USSR
*Poland
*China

Germany
*Italy

Scenario Storyline:
World War II begins on 1 September 1939 with the German invasion of Poland, soon followed by declarations of war by the British Empire and France. The fall of Poland a month later is followed by a "Phony War" period until May 1940. Unlike the actual events, the outcome is somewhat different. Historically, two German officers crashlanded in the Netherlands in the winter of 1939 with a copy of the German operational orders, which were quickly changed by the German General Staff to the "Manstein Plan," focused on the Ardennes. In this scenario, the crash did not take place, and the German invasion of 1940 the Low Countries was met by the cream of the British and French Armies. During the May-July 1940 fighting, which soon turned into a stalemate, a lucky air strike by the RAF caught Hitler and his closest advisors during a visit to the Western Front Armee HQ, killing him. A power struggle within Germany soon led to a virtual cessation of hostilties, while a Soviet-sponsored uprising in Poland during the same period led to the withdrawal of German troops. A Communist Poland emerged, supported by the Soviets, who were still smarting after their defeat in the Winter War.

In September 1940, the remaining Nazi leadership were executed by a German military junta, led by Field Marshal von Rundstedt. Realizing the continued instability in his country, Rundstedt allowed for British and French occupation troops to move into Germany, and for a peace treaty. The cost to the Germans was high; they were limited in armaments to some degree (but allowed to conduct R&D and stockpile arms) and had to surrender their occupied territory in Poland and Czechoslovakia. In exchange, British and French support prevented a Communist takeover of Germany, and Germans were allowed to continue their own government, foreign affairs and other basic rights of an independent nation. The Nazi (and Communist) parties were outlawed and a dictatorship by the German General Staff was implemented. By 1949, the last of the British and French occupation troops are departing, leaving Germany on its own for defense.

The 1940 defeat of Nazi Germany created a power gulf in Europe. The USSR was still reeling from its defeat in the 1940 Winter War, and the 1937-38 purges and was only concerned with propping up its proxy government in Poland and heavy support to the Chinese communists. Isolationism reigned supreme in the USA throughout the decade, but with a strong anti-communist outlook and a massive "two ocean navy" building program. The invention of the atomic bomb in 1948 was soon followed by a crash building program; the Americans have the only nuclear arsenal. The power of these weapons, and the US aloofness from European affairs since 1918, have combined to isolate the US diplomatically. All Western nations are neutral in the coming US/Soviet Cold War. By 1949, the Americans realized that the world was going to be a battleground between the two great "Superpowers"--them and what they saw as monolitic communism. The Europeans were focused on rebuilding after the 1939-40 war, and the long occupation of Germany. An independent Germany's first act was rebuilding its treaty with the Italian Empire, which had prospered by staying out of the UK/France vs. Germany war. In the Far East, Japan was driven to a few footholds in China by 1948, and withdrew its forces under a peace treaty with China that year. Japan still retains Formosa and the Korean peninsula, both of which cause diplomatic problems with the new Chinese communist government. The British Empire emerged intact from its European war, and the 1947 Act of Independence marked the first reduction in its power in over 200 years, with the release of Pakistan and India as independent states. Egypt, Palestine and Transjordan are all still British controlled, to include the new Jewish colony of Israel. France still possesses its foothold in the Levant in Syria and Lebanon.

The game begins with a world split into many different parts. The USA's anti-communism has reached its highest peak since the fall of Nationalist China in 1945, and US military and political leaders have started to focus outside of the US for bases, and potential buffer areas to protect themselves from what they see as a Communist-dominated world. Some have even suggested that widespread communist infiltration in Mexico may be occuring, and that American forces may be needed to "restore order and liberty to our Sister Republic to the South" in the near future. The US Congress granted Statehood to Guam and Puerto Rico, under pressure from the new Department of Defense to secure long term bases on US soil in the Pacific and the Atlantic. The sole US alliance is with its former colony of the Philippines, which continues to provide a solid base for US power projection in the Far East.

In Europe, the UK-France Alliance is still strong, and firmly neutral in the US-Communist issue. Germany is rebuilding, and has a substantial military in reserve. Italy has a strong military and economy, and a solid foothold in Africa. Eastern Europe is much like it was in the 1930s; monarchists, dictators and others vie for power and try to resist communist takeover. Poland is solidly in the Soviet camp, having been overrun by Soviet forces when Germany collapsed in 1940-41. Soviet dominance in the Baltic is unchallenged. Recent saber-rattling in the Black Sea has both Greece and Turkey concerned over possible Soviet invasion and their governments are looking toward potential US arms shipments and diplomatic support to stop the Red Army.

In Asia, the US granted independence to the Phillipines on schedule in 1946, but much of the region still is under colonial rule. The Communist goverment in northern French Indochina, The People's Republic of (North) Vietnam is the sole exception; French leaders decided after a decade of guerrilla war to grant a portion of the region independence in exchange for an end of hostilities. Japan is weakened, but still has a substantial navy and her island chains allows the nation to control the flow of shipping into the central and northern Pacific. Much like Europe, Japan is neutral toward the US-USSR conflict. However, pragmatic Japanese leaders have been quick to note the growth of Chinese and Soviet power in the region and that an understanding with the Americans may be the only way to hold what remains of the Empire.

What to expect from this mod: It is more of a sandbox game between to diametrically opposed powers (the US and the USSR/China) than the traditional game. While the main countries, if they are willing to spend the money and time, can build up their Spheres, the majority of the world is somewhere in the middle. Consequently, expect to see clashes between an expansionist USA and the UK/France alliance, between the USSR and its neighbors and between Japan and China. Fun options to play would be a new Roman Empire by Italy, a new expansionist Germany vs. France/UK or the USSR, or an expansionist USA in the Western Hemisphere. For the UK or France, the challenge would be to quickly gain a nuclear arsenal to use against either the US or USSR and to maintain their empires. China could look toward India or to finishing off Japan, while Japan could re-invade China (but at the cost of Soviet intervention) or expanding in the South toward the resource rich Dutch, French and British colonies.
Last edited by Aragos on Jan 25 2013, edited 9 times in total.
Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Re: Alternate WWII ending Mod (Work in Progress)

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote: Quick question: How do you create a separate campaign/scenario? I've just backed up, then modded my original files, but I'd like to have both options.
to put it simply its as simple as
copy the scenario file.
rename it.
Copying all the base data files,
Renaming them.
Place the new data files wherever you want.
Edit the scenario file so it loads your new data files.

You can check out any of my mods scenario files to get a good idea.
Once I figure out which files are needed to upload,
the basics required to run a mod are Scenario file, CVP, CSV, Region include, Cache

If you want people to be able to mod it on its own you'll need to include all custom data files.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

All,
I meant to add that any suggestions/additions to this mod would be welcomed. It currently has no events (I'm not planning on any given the difference between the core campaign and this one), but anything other is open game.

Thanks!
Vish_Virtus
Sergeant

Post by Vish_Virtus »

When I click Cold War Alt and pick any country or just leave it at the Default, it just kicks me out to the main screen

I copied and move the files below to the right folders. Did I need to copy more files. Can you make a RAR or Zip files with all the files and folders already created so I can copy and paste, It will remove the Human error and make it easier for us simple folk hehehe

Can't wait to try and test this mod

Cold War Alt. SAV to Campaign folder

number47
General

Post by number47 »

Vish_Virtus wrote:When I click Cold War Alt and pick any country or just leave it at the Default, it just kicks me out to the main screen

I copied and move the files below to the right folders. Did I need to copy more files. Can you make a RAR or Zip files with all the files and folders already created so I can copy and paste, It will remove the Human error and make it easier for us simple folk hehehe

Can't wait to try and test this mod

Cold War Alt. SAV to Campaign folder

.SAV file should go to Cache folder
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Vish_Virtus
Sergeant

Post by Vish_Virtus »

Yep that was the ticket, Owner of the Mod should make a Zip package with all the files in the right folder to make it easy please for us computer weak people hehehe

On the game side it is a nice Mod, haven't found anything note worthy yet to post.

Other than Japan could have more Infantry but I can make them myself
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

thanks guys. My bad on the error in the install instructions (thanks 47).

When it came to Germany/Japan, I pretty much guessed on OOB given the scenario.

There are new/additional units in this campaign as well, all Japanese:

Naval-
Yamato Class BB
Nagato Class BB
Shokuko Class CV
Hiyo Class CVL
Tone Class CA
Katori Class CL

Air--
D44 Suisei
B7A Ryusei
C6N Saiun
notus
Lieutenant

Post by notus »

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4849/63404950.png

as you can see there is a a problem

its the CL Katori

also, dont know if its the game or the mod, when i got transit treaties whit a countrie, i cant pass trough their colonies, (going through the suez canal its impossible)
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

This looks/sounds like a weird install problem (some files maybe didnt copy, etc.).

I've run this on mine and not found the giant ship problem. Are you running any other mods?

Newest version allows for transit (I reverted Egypt and others back to core status; if the Canal was UK colony, the UK would not allow transit)
notus
Lieutenant

Post by notus »

well, i have the "Modern World" mod installed.

I will install the latest version and see if the problem is fixed

EDIT:: After the new version the ship problem is solved, thanks
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

cool, thanks for the feedback Notus. The newest version of the mod, IMHO, makes it a bit more interesting to play. A few more wars, etc.
Vish_Virtus
Sergeant

Post by Vish_Virtus »

I find there isn't enough wars breaking out, can you make so there is an Excluded mod.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Let me ping Fistalis to see what he thinks (his mods have an Excluded mode).

I've seen the same thing, and have attempted to tweak settings to get more wars to break out, but it isn't seeming to do the trick.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Update: New Scenario file added to the Google Drive.

MASSIVELY increased wars. Expect invasions and DoW's within the first month...everywhere.

Good luck surviving folks.
C.S.A
Lieutenant

Post by C.S.A »

This is my first post and i have been looking for a mod like this but when i found it, the problem was i put everything were it was supposed to go then i chose Germany i clicked start game and it stopped it wasnt frozen i could still move my cursor around but it would not load. please help. |O
It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done. It's a far, far better rest I go to then I have ever known. - A Tale of Two Cities

Return to “Modding SRCW”