Cold War 1970 mod (canceled)

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

number47
General
Human: Yes

Cold War 1970 mod (canceled)

Post by number47 »

Well, I embarked on a journey that I expect will take me a looooong time to finish but never the less, I'm sure it will be fun. :lol:

Don't expect much info any time soon as I have little free time for modding but I wanted to share the "news" with anyone that might be interested.

So, the general idea is creating a world in 1970 with alternative "future" to follow :wink:

I'll start with updating the "world map" to represent the 1970 probably in the following manner:
adjust: independent status for colonies; I'm also considering merging USSR colonies with USSR.
adjust: population, gdp/c, tech known, designs known
adjust: countries names and flags
adjust: existing .oof and .oob files (wishfull thinking this one, I know :lol: )

Also, depending on whether BattleGoat will do or not do the balancing of the unit stats in .UNIT file, I might need to do extensive work there ( :-? still hoping BG will eventually correct huge amount of discrepancies between the unit stats within the same unit class and between unit classes as well) but I can say for sure that some amount of new units will be added to the existing list and most of the "future fictional" units will be removed from the mod (laser weapons, robotic weapons and all other not widely used equipment by year 2010 or 2012). I'll also remove most of the "fictional worldwide" units from the list as in the 1970 there will be quite the solid number of researched designs to choose from. :wink:

The mod will feature a "background/foreground" story which will be partialy driven by events system but as this is still faaaar away in the "development" process of this mod (probably counting in tens of months :lol: ) no need to go into the details. :wink:

This is it for now. See you in couple of months :lol:
Last edited by number47 on Aug 14 2013, edited 2 times in total.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
sparky282
Colonel

Re: Cold War 1970 mod (work in progres)

Post by sparky282 »

looking forward to this :-)
Chauncey
Warrant Officer

Post by Chauncey »

This sounds pretty cool. Thumbs up on the merging USSR colonies w/USSR.
suaske666
Major

Post by suaske666 »

How's this coming along? I'd love to play Yugoslavia in 1970 :O
C.S.A
Lieutenant

Post by C.S.A »

i'm ready for this boy oh boy :D
It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done. It's a far, far better rest I go to then I have ever known. - A Tale of Two Cities
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Yeah, I said it will take me many months to finish this and I wasn't wrong...

Since there are some of you interested in this, you deserve little status update :wink: (finally)

I'm having huge problems with recreating the world map. I tried both ways, "updating" the SRCW map and "degrading" the SR2020 screnario pack map (scenario port that Fistalis made) and neither worked the way I desired. SR2020 map was easier to start "reverting" to 1970 (to a point) but it seemed too unstable (probably something to do with being the SR2020 port). On the other hand, BG made things difficult in updating the SRCW map becuse some of the independant countries are not correctly grouped (african colonies) so it has been a real pain to check/change/re-group/check/update country data/establish you are missing part of the country |O /research/confirm/fix...
After I hit a wall in map department, I shifted to adding new units. Adding units made me realise that current disbalance is so problematic that if I don't wan't to make it even worst by adding new units, I'll have to do balancing of the units database which I truly hoped BG will do instead of me in Update 4 (this was all before SR1936 was announced). Hearing SRCW development is being put down due to their new project, I was kind of discouraged to continue this endeavour...at the same time real life started to get in the way (company I work for got sold, incertitude will the new owner continue the production or close it down, familly waiting to see am I keeping the job or not and so on... :roll: ) so even though I managed to collect all the data needed to recreate tha 1970 world map, population, GDP/c, correct names, units, general ideas about the fictional story, last few months where quite hectic and I actually haven't worked on this since late February/March :-(

I still hope to actually finish this though my statement from the first post " "development" process of this mod probably counting in tens of months" was more realistic than I ever though it will be |O

So, final words...eventually, I will get back to this! 8)

In the meantime, all of you, stay well (and be good :wink: )!
daxterhxc
Sergeant

Post by daxterhxc »

Could you give us a release date?
number47
General

Post by number47 »

daxterhxc wrote:Could you give us a release date?
Not quite...SR1936 will be out before this.

...but if you insist on some kind of release date, I would have to say "don't expect it before 2014..." :-?
SaudiSerb
Warrant Officer

Post by SaudiSerb »

Did it will be separated whit cold war when we came on '70s ? i mean im never cross '60 [_]B
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Good Job and Good luck
number47
General

Re: Cold War 1970 mod (canceled) :(

Post by number47 »

Due to some personal circumstances happening in my life, I will not be able to continue my work on this...sorry to disappoint anybody that was looking forward to play this but no one is more sad than me :cry:
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: Cold War 1970 mod (canceled)

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

**** happens, it's okay :wink:
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods

Return to “Modding SRCW”