Modern World Art modifications

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Re: Modern World Art modifications

Post by Fistalis »

farrellmeister wrote:this all looks awesome great job! only problem is us brits dont use DPM any more, we use MTP :P
MTP is currently being issued to combat troops in afghanistan. I did DPM mainly because its widely used around the world so I can use it for a wider variety of countries. (I may do MTP later but for now they are stuck with DPM) WHen I say british DPM thats because I literally took the pattern from a british uniform.. its not a knockoff from portugal :wink:

Interesting note.. MTP is a mix of Multicam and DPM. So I may try to cheat and super impose the Muticam I did for the US over teh DPM and see what happens :wink:

But yes not every country is going to have the exact camo type made to specifications.. if I did that I would end up with probably 100 or more different textures. Which I would actually do.. if i could implement them without having to create a new unit for each texture. Adding over 100 Units just to add varation isn't something I want to do. (IE if I could specify the texture file by nation rather than being called by the unit itself.)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

*Sigh

So I was working on implementing it so I can put out the next "test" version of the the mod with All these new art assets/unit variation.
And about the 3rd or 4th african nation that primarily uses a "choclate chip" design I concluded I need to make it.. bleh. Sadly I had one made but pitched it cause I didn't like the look. Back to texturing I guess.

Edit: and here's chocolate chip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Imo your mountain infantry`s texture needs a bit of red and/or yellow in the hue because it looks too bleached as it is now.

What happened to the texture of the M16 in your latest renders?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

MK4 wrote:Imo your mountain infantry`s texture needs a bit of red and/or yellow in the hue because it looks too bleached as it is now.

What happened to the texture of the M16 in your latest renders?
Too lazy to mess with the render settings for it when I'm trying to showcase the uniforms so its rendering without the texture and with shadows hence the pure black lol.

As to the mountain infantry ya I'll come back to it.. im knee deep in assigning Marine and or infantry models to every nation. I'm up to the middle east.. only Asia,Europe, Oceania and the entire western hemisphere left. |O

Gotta create a unit for every variation then assign the nations the correct one... so its slow going. Been at it for idk a few hours probably lol.
Good news is every nation will start with either infantry or marines researched.. which I've needed to do I just never felt like going over 250 nations known units lists.. lol
farrellmeister
Lieutenant

Post by farrellmeister »

Fistalis wrote:
farrellmeister wrote:this all looks awesome great job! only problem is us brits dont use DPM any more, we use MTP :P
MTP is currently being issued to combat troops in afghanistan. I did DPM mainly because its widely used around the world so I can use it for a wider variety of countries. (I may do MTP later but for now they are stuck with DPM) WHen I say british DPM thats because I literally took the pattern from a british uniform.. its not a knockoff from portugal :wink:

Interesting note.. MTP is a mix of Multicam and DPM. So I may try to cheat and super impose the Muticam I did for the US over teh DPM and see what happens :wink:

But yes not every country is going to have the exact camo type made to specifications.. if I did that I would end up with probably 100 or more different textures. Which I would actually do.. if i could implement them without having to create a new unit for each texture. Adding over 100 Units just to add varation isn't something I want to do. (IE if I could specify the texture file by nation rather than being called by the unit itself.)
At the battery I'm at we have some REME guys assigned to us and they all have MTP camo, I guess it depends on availability and demand as its being introduced across the board. Ah well i guess we can live with DPM for now :wink:
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

farrellmeister wrote:
Fistalis wrote:

At the battery I'm at we have some REME guys assigned to us and they all have MTP camo, I guess it depends on availability and demand as its being introduced across the board. Ah well i guess we can live with DPM for now :wink:
Ya I'm implementing all the designs now and looking for "holes". Unfortunatley I haven't seen any countries I could use MTP for..(other than the U.K of course) So its being pushed down on the "wishlist". DPM is being phased out by the U.K. your not wrong about that. But DPM is widely used by many nations so it was higher on my priorities than MTP. (Make a texture for one country.. or make one that 10 can use?)

I'm already acquiring quite a list of holes in my list.. and most of them are countries that wanna be all special and have some crazy arse camo design as their standard. (India.. GD palm frond Camo)
Point is once I get the ones I have done implemented I can work on plugging the holes one by one.
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the list of nations and this is what my list of holes looks like.

edit : Removed list of holes..the finished list is far longer. 8_

I just don't have a pattern similar enough to those to give them one at this point so I've given them placeholders til I get around to making a style thats closer to what they have. (other than the multicam.. but Im gonna just gonna make them a copy of the U.S. multicam with out the tac glasses)

I Might just stick the brits with the multicam variation since most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. :wink:

HOPEFULLY I can finish implementing the textures I have done today and have a test version out for people to play around with sometime tonight.

P.S. northern europe is gonna be a pain in my arse.. they all have their own special camos.. :roll:
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Filling some holes:
Needed a Primary Green Digital camo style with a small amount of black and tan. Chose CADPAT To fill this hole because of how widely available samples of it are. Was going to use the croation camo for this hole but it has too much tan.
CadPAT.jpg
Needed A digital with too much brown. I chose MARPAT because in most cases that was the Camo I needed. :lol:
MARPAT.jpg
Needed a clownsuit... er I mean Jigsaw. So went with the most prominent.. the belgian.. samples of these are rare, I imagine because they aren't exactly at the top of most collectors lists.. so I went with the default vest.
Jigsaw.jpg
Sorry jigsaw fans.. I got lazy with this one because I'm not sure it would look good regardless of how much work I put into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Few more holes plugged.. again I'm being lazy when it comes to plugging holes. But also the reason I hadn't made versions of these prior is samples weren't easy to find or the ones that I could find were bad quality.

Leaf Pattern. Based of the Czech Republics design. (I coulda probably used veitnam era U.S. camo for it but bleh whatever)
leaf Pattern.jpg
Brush stroke pattern.. this is one loosely based on the old Rhodesian design.. thing about brush stroke patterns is unlike other camo they are very distinct from each other (even to an untrained eye) so I tried to make as generic of one as possible.
brushstroke.jpg
And we have A design based on Norways.. I don't know the name for the style (other than its designation) but its used by a few nations other than norway so it was worth doing. (in a half arsed way lol)
Norway.jpg
This fills the majority of my holes.. there are still a few nations that have distinct patterns which deserve their own But I really wanna finish implementing then I can take my time on doing more.
Last edited by Fistalis on Apr 21 2012, edited 1 time in total.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

I like that retexturing monster :evil: is out again :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:I like that retexturing monster :evil: is out again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lol well I literally spent all day yesterday Implementing the models I had.. only to discover that there were large holes. IE nations that had camos that didn't event remotely resemble ones I had. Today I'm plugging holes.. and hopefully If I don't have to make TOO many texture to fill the holes I'll be able to finish basic implementation today. There are going to be multiple stages of implmentation.

Stage 1- (where I'm at now) Get all the textures tied to models in game.
Get each nation assigned an infantry and or marine with this design.
To finish this stage I need all textures in.. they don't have to be complete they can be placeholder textures.
I also have to make little ICON pictures for the pop up menus.. but that doesn't take much.

Stage 2- Pretty much the same as stage one.. only with engineer/airborne. Difference here Is I should have all the textures I need I just have to make the unit variations.

Stage 3- Same as 2 with spec ops.

Stage 4- Go back over and make sure there is variation in nations that have mutiple units that use the same model.. this is a long process that I'll kinda do as I notice nations need variation. I'm trying to make sure I get variation between the unit types in each stage but with 250ish nations I'm liable to make some mistakes here or there.
farrellmeister
Lieutenant

Post by farrellmeister »

are you going to re texture weapons aswell? such as the SA80 for the UK, FAMAS for France ect?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

farrellmeister wrote:are you going to re texture weapons aswell? such as the SA80 for the UK, FAMAS for France ect?
If you have a low poly weapon model you wanna share I'll use it. But i don't plan on modeling any myself. Making an AK green won't make it look like a SA80. :wink:
My major objective was to get away from the every infantry unit wears drab olive. I only included the M-16 because JOPO supplied it ages ago and no one had utilized it. (No one uses the M-16 anymore but its better than an AK on every unit)
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Newest test version of the modern world mod includes the art assets for those of you who wanna poke at them. (note the test version isn't On my site.. you can get it from the forum thread here or my forums.)
farrellmeister
Lieutenant

Post by farrellmeister »

Have you got anywhere with the MTP camo? By the way that DPM looks sweet :-)
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

farrellmeister wrote:Have you got anywhere with the MTP camo? By the way that DPM looks sweet :-)
Nope. But I need to go back over all the designs prior to the the next release so it may still be added.

Return to “Modding SRCW”