DEFAULT.PICNUMS tutorial?

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

DEFAULT.PICNUMS tutorial?

Post by MK4 »

Is there a guide somewhere that explains what the values from the various columns of DEFAULT.PICNUMS stand for? I know which is the ID and which is the model number, but I`d like to know what the rest of the numbers do.
trebor
Captain

Re: DEFAULT.PICNUMS tutorial?

Post by trebor »

Been a while since i've looked in that file but the last number changes the scale of the 3d model assigned to that unit in game. Then there are a load of commas to the left and then another number that assigns which mesh is used for the unit.

That's all I could figure out when I was experimenting.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thanks! That`s about as much as I`ve figured out myself. The main reason I`m trying to figure out what the rest of the values do is because I was trying to use the mesh of the AH-1 Cobra helicopter on a different entry without adjusting anything else but the mesh number of the new line. The result was that in game the Cobra was missing its rotor blades and showing only its main body. Adjusting for the new line all the values to match those of the original Cobra entry from DEFAULT.PICNUMS resulted in the entire helicopter showing properly in game. So obviously, some of the settings from DEFAULT.PICNUMS are pretty important. They probably tell the engine how many parts a model has and other such things.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I haven`t tested it yet, but I`ve been looking at the wiki article on DEFAULT.PICNUMS:
http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Mod_Unit_3D_Meshes
and it says:
#31 is defined as using mesh #31 with two elements.
I`m not sure what the "elements" means, but looking at that entry I can only guess that it refers to this column:
31, 0, 1, , , -1, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 13, , , 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 31, , , , , , 0.7,
and that that value might determine whether the model has more than one part.

EDIT: actually, that`s probably not it. I`d really appreciate some input on this. I have to wonder why each game file can`t have a comment at the beginning naming what each column does. It would make things so much easier modding wise.

Btw, the SR2020 files had tags like FALSE and TRUE which in SRCW seem to have been replaced with -1 for TRUE and 0 for FALSE if I read this correctly.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

@Balthagor could you please confirm that the only difference(aside from new units) between the DEFAULT.PICNUMS of SR2020 and the one from SRCW is the translation of the FALSE and TRUE tags into 0 and -1? As far as I can see the two files(from SRCW and SR2020) are interchangeable and recognized by either of the two`s engine, but I want to make sure I`m not missing something important.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I can't confirm it, I don't work directly in either file. I'd have to sit down and to a bunch of checking. It sounds right, I don't remember us discussing changes to the file. I can confirm that 0/-1 is the same as true/false for the code, they are interchangeable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you for the reply!
I can't confirm it, I don't work directly in either file. I'd have to sit down and to a bunch of checking.
I didn`t mean to make you lose time checking the files to figure things out. I just presumed you`re encyclopedic. :D
I can confirm that 0/-1 is the same as true/false for the code, they are interchangeable.
Thank you! That`s important to know.

Return to “Modding SRCW”