Improve unit values on mass

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

domcoppinger
Colonel
Human: Yes

Improve unit values on mass

Post by domcoppinger »

Once again the title says it all, simple put I am looking for a way to improve a large number of units in particular areas, for example making all air units have longer ranges, or all tanks having higher armour values.

And I was wondering what the best way to do this was.

I know that I can just individually edit them, however there is probably an easier and quicker way to do this that you, the community, know of and that I am either to tierd, stupid, unimaginative or unskilled as a modder to think of!
Or is there really no other way and I am just stuck manually editing them?
Or could I use a custom technology to do this for me?
Is there a faster/different method?

Any and all help is, as always, more than welcome!
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
Draken
General

Re: Improve unit values on mass

Post by Draken »

Load the CSV unit file in Excel (or any other spreadsheet software of your preference that load and save CSV files)... Then use Excel features (formulas, drag and drop, etc) to do your changes and save the file back as a CSV ....
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Draken wrote:Load the CSV unit file in Excel (or any other spreadsheet software of your preference that load and save CSV files)... Then use Excel features (formulas, drag and drop, etc) to do your changes and save the file back as a CSV ....
So if I place formula into the relevant fields, say a +10% formula in hard attack, then save the file back as a CSV it will only take the final value and not the whole formula into the file? I wont end up with an attack value of "=60*(1+10%)" but with a value of 66 in the CSV!?

If so that would be great as I have always shy'd (that word just doesn't look right!) away from using formula for this very reason, but no more it seems!

You are a good man Draken!
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

well... There are several ways to do it in Excel....Most likely you will have to add a column, do the formula, copy the the column and "paste special:values" into the original column, the remove the column you added and save as a csv....

Keep a backup of your original unit files....
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

This is somthing I have done for RM4.0 for 2020. For instance all tanks had there hard attack and defenses increased. And I wanted them all increased by 25 percent. So what I did was went into the units file via a spreed sheet. I copied the whole column for tanks for hard attack. Then I pasted it in a new spreed sheet. In the next column over I then created a formula that copied the cell next to it and multiplied it by 1.25. I then copied this formula and pasted it all the way down the column for the rest of the units. I then copied the numbers (and it acualy copies the formula too). Then I go back to the UNITS file and paste special, with only values. And boom all tanks now have there hard attack increased by 25 percent.

Its acualy pretty simple and should only take around a minute to do.
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Ruges wrote:This is somthing I have done for RM4.0 for 2020. For instance all tanks had there hard attack and defenses increased. And I wanted them all increased by 25 percent. So what I did was went into the units file via a spreed sheet. I copied the whole column for tanks for hard attack. Then I pasted it in a new spreed sheet. In the next column over I then created a formula that copied the cell next to it and multiplied it by 1.25. I then copied this formula and pasted it all the way down the column for the rest of the units. I then copied the numbers (and it acualy copies the formula too). Then I go back to the UNITS file and paste special, with only values. And boom all tanks now have there hard attack increased by 25 percent.

Its acualy pretty simple and should only take around a minute to do.
If only you had been around a couple of days ago :D

Yeah I am actually more proficient with excel than I am with modding, so I have created a whole series of sheets in the equip list file I download. I have added in a series of ways of modifying values on mass, including linking entire sections back to a single multiplier for mass changes. Once you get a decent setup in excel it is incredibly easy to take data out of the .unit modify it and put it back!
Much Thanks

Number 46-48
Iceciro
Corporal

Post by Iceciro »

Draken, thank you. This will help me immensely when it comes to modding SR:CW for my purposes, and is one of those things I can't believe I didn't think of before.
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

You can also apply it directly to the data, no need to copy/paste columns etc. Go to an empty cell and enter the value/modifier you wish to apply, eg 1.1, then right click cell and copy. Now select all cells you wish to modify, right click and select paste special, select the operation to use in the lower right (multiply, divide). Delete the cell you had the value in (1.1 in this case), save and you're done.

Return to “Modding SRCW”