A complete introduction to modding?

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Cepheus
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

A complete introduction to modding?

Post by Cepheus »

Hi, I'm going to come across as clueless as I have no modding experience, but I'd love to attempt it. So here it goes!

I'd like to try and develop a mod that will unify nations under one power and rename it, and create a world full of large nations built up of smaller ones. For example I'd like a nation to comprise of Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Egypt with several small island nations to form a Union of Islamic Theocratic Republics. I'd need a step by step tutorial on how to edit it and the naming. How would I change the government type, flag, leader, military power and social relations?

If you can refer me to a tutorial (simplified and detailed), or help me that'd be great!
Fistalis
General

Re: A complete introduction to modding?

Post by Fistalis »

Balt did a step by step for someone for 2020 heres the link.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... +a+country It goes step by step for creating a scenario very similar to yours.. its not exactly simplified though. (only difference is some region codes which you can find on the wiki)

this should give you a basic understanding of how to mod. Then you can move on to some of your other changes. The wiki has the majority of file information its just a matter of you learning the basics of how the files are setup and how to create/use a cache, after that you can pretty much rely on the wiki for most things.

As for the rest of the changes you talk about Those are all in the .cvp file as well. the wiki has listings for each thing in the file.

One thing to remember when combining nations or creating new ones is your limited by the pre existing puzzle pieces.

That plus other useful links can be found in the modding FAQ thread . http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 65&t=18602

If you run into any specific problems feel free to post a question.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Cepheus
Warrant Officer

Post by Cepheus »

Thanks alot! Do you know where I can get access to the govtype numbers, religions, etc? And what would happen to all the units if I changed the military personnel amount, would it of developed more units or..?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Cepheus wrote:Thanks alot! Do you know where I can get access to the govtype numbers, religions, etc?
.CVP file. in the wiki like I said. http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Regional_Data_CW
You'll have to use some of the preexisting data to figure out religions though since no ones taken the time to figure it out and post it on the wiki.(probably because it has minimal impact on the game)
And what would happen to all the units if I changed the military personnel amount, would it of developed more units or..?
Depends on what you mean. Starting units are based on the OOB. So starting units wouldn't change.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace

Return to “Modding SRCW”