Data files

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Jopo
Captain
Human: Yes

Data files

Post by Jopo »

Ok, in the \maps\data folder there are the following files:

* Default.newsitems Exel file containing newsitems

* Default.pplx Exel file containing info about people in the game

* Default.terx Exel file containing info about terrain types

* Default.ttrx Exel file containing info about technologies

* Default.unit Exel file containing info about units and facilities

* Default.wmdata Exel file containing info about something

Could someone tell me what the .wmdata file is and could we have the explanations to different rows in these files? It is impossible to do anything with these files without knowing what the different rows of information stand for and that info has not been included in the files as it should have been.
trebor
Captain

Re: Data files

Post by trebor »

Default.wmdata is for world commodity data, you can also edit those files using notepad, be careful using Excel as it can mess up the formatting of the files.

check out the modding section of the wiki for more modding help(sr2020 + SRCW sections both relevent)http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Jopo wrote:
Could someone tell me what the .wmdata file is and could we have the explanations to different rows in these files? It is impossible to do anything with these files without knowing what the different rows of information stand for and that info has not been included in the files as it should have been.
As trebor said I have already posted this files info into the wiki http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Wo ... arket_Data
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Jopo
Captain

Post by Jopo »

So, is it advisable to use notepad or Word to edit these files or will Exel do?
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

use excel to view it properly, and use notepad when editing. You can use excel to edit it. And it saves you some work doing it. However you can mess the file up. So if you dont understand how the file works and you mess it up, you will need a new one. (although you should be backing up all your files before you edit them).

Basicaly its easier to mod in excel, But its safer to mod in notepad.
trebor
Captain

Post by trebor »

Ruges is right about using notepad if you are not familiar with the layout of the files, I find Excel adds loads of extra commas, so I have to go around tidying them up after editing using Excel.

I'd suggest getting on the Supreme Ruler wiki and downloading the default.unit file that has all the column headings added and using this as a reference to make changes in notepad until you are more experienced with the data files.
Jopo
Captain

Post by Jopo »

I have downloaded the Ruges default.unit file, but when I open up the same file of the game, the data is all unorganized. Ruges had the data well organized into cells, one number per cell, but for me all the numbers are stacked in cell A in Exel, it´s painstaking to try to locate the number you are looking for in the line. Any help to this?
trebor
Captain

Post by trebor »

Change the .unit part to .csv and the cells will be how you want them, then change back to .unit when you are done.
Jopo
Captain

Post by Jopo »

I´m making my own new files using Exel, I created a spreadsheet with explanations to all rows and saved is as an exel document, I will rename it into the proper format once I´m done. I want to be sure that the game reads the file correctly so will the program recognise an exel document renamed for example into MyUnits.units?

The Exel would not agree to saving it in .CSV format so I saved it in .XLS format instead, will this do?
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

Any information about Default.terx files??
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

What's the difference between lines with the same name?

Return to “Modding SRCW”