Mod Request - World War II

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Re: Mod Request - World War II

Post by Fistalis »

LordCrusader8 wrote:Hearts of iron III sucks though i flipping hate that series
Thats rather random. Never played HOI myself. TBH even though I'm a seriously data driven game player the paradox produced games seemed lacking IMO. To be fair though had it not been for securom sucking I would have never discovered the supreme ruler series. The only series I can honestly say now i've spent more time modding than playing. :lol:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Pioneer199@aol.com
Lieutenant

Post by Pioneer199@aol.com »

Hey fistalis, I'd be more than happy to help with the research as I am a history major, I think a ww2 mod would be awesome as I hate the hoi series as well. But when it comes to building caches a fail everytime lol
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Pioneer199@aol.com wrote:Hey fistalis, I'd be more than happy to help with the research as I am a history major, I think a ww2 mod would be awesome as I hate the hoi series as well. But when it comes to building caches a fail everytime lol
Okay first think I would need is a list of regions.

You can use puzzle peices from the wiki site. 2020 and coldwar region codes both work.

For example Germany = westgermanies code, east germaniescode, etc etc
That info will fill out the map.. then we can move on to other things like

Government types for each region?
population for each region? How many complexes on the default map do we need to remove?
Where do we need to add complexes on the map?
Techs.. what older techs do we need to add?
What are the starting techs for each region?
Then we can move on the fun things like assigning stats to early WW2 units.

You give me the data points and i'll plug them in tweak and cache them and make sure it functions.
Pioneer199@aol.com
Lieutenant

Cool! I'll start compiling some data for us and get back to you when I get each step done, thanks fistalis
Pioneer199@aol.com
Lieutenant

What year would you like to start out at though? I was thinking 1937, its when the great depression had started to subside, so we wouldn't have to worry about making that a part of things, and that gives a little bit of time build things up, any thoughts everyone?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Pioneer199@aol.com wrote:What year would you like to start out at though? I was thinking 1937, its when the great depression had started to subside, so we wouldn't have to worry about making that a part of things, and that gives a little bit of time build things up, any thoughts everyone?
I'm partial to jan 25 1938.. but If you wanna go with 1937 I gotta go with july 18th :wink:

37 would probably be best, otherwise the Sino-japanese war will already be active at game start.
Pioneer199@aol.com
Lieutenant

July 18th 1937 it is! 8O I'll start looking through it at the univerisity on monday and bring home some of my atlases....I'm pretty sure one of them gives all of the government types and ruling parties from that time so should be pretty easy!
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Guys--is work still being done on this? Sounded like a fun idea.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:Guys--is work still being done on this? Sounded like a fun idea.
No i never received any "boiled down" research to start actually scripting the mod.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Fistalis wrote:
No i never received any "boiled down" research to start actually scripting the mod.

Hmmm. What do you need?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:
Fistalis wrote:

Hmmm. What do you need?
Fistalis wrote: Hardest part would be research. Assigning stats to units, where the borders were, what techs/unit designs were possessed by what countries on the starting date, the dates each country joined the war etc. You get that out the way the modding is pretty much just data entry. :wink:

For instance on my modern world mod i probably spend a 40 40 10 10 ratio .. 40% doing the actual modding, 40% researching 10% figuring out ways to implement things that weren't intended and 10% fixing mistakes. :D

To be honest I think the WW2 scenario is played out so couldn't stomach doing the research for it.. but if someone wants to provide me with the info i'll mod it in. :lol: (of course if you take the time to come up with the data points you may as well mod it yourself at that point)
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

That's not too terribly difficult. Let me dig through my library and see what I can find.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:That's not too terribly difficult. Let me dig through my library and see what I can find.
I've heard that before. :wink:
Fistalis wrote:
Pioneer199@aol.com wrote:Hey fistalis, I'd be more than happy to help with the research as I am a history major, I think a ww2 mod would be awesome as I hate the hoi series as well. But when it comes to building caches a fail everytime lol
Okay first think I would need is a list of regions.

You can use puzzle peices from the wiki site. 2020 and coldwar region codes both work.

For example Germany = westgermanies code, east germaniescode, etc etc
That info will fill out the map.. then we can move on to other things like

Government types for each region?
population for each region? How many complexes on the default map do we need to remove?
Where do we need to add complexes on the map?
Techs.. what older techs do we need to add?
What are the starting techs for each region?
Then we can move on the fun things like assigning stats to early WW2 units.

You give me the data points and i'll plug them in tweak and cache them and make sure it functions.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Good one. :D
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Hit return too soon lol.

Ok, the problem, I think, is the data for non-WWII major powers. Japan, USSR, UK, etc. are easy compared to Bolivia, Siam, and so on.

Second issue--WWII, unlike later periods, was pretty much an infantry war (meaning foot infantry). However, SR basically goes all out for tech (air, ships, tanks) but only has a couple of infantry types. Big difference, effectiveness-wise, between a German or US infantryman in 1944-45 and a Paraguayan rifleman in the same period (weapons, doctrine, training, etc.). So, how would we reflect that? And given that most players would want to start in 1939 (or 1936 or whatever) and keep on going after the war leads to other issues--such as how the WWII specific units/techs/etc impact the overall play of the campaign game.

I can easily do the major powers (within reason). The best way to do this, sort of like when I was working mods for Victoria I, is to get a gang of folks together and spread the wealth...

Return to “Modding SRCW”