Supreme Ruler 2120

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Supreme Ruler 2120

Post by Xbwalker »

2040 - The first manned expedition to Mars reveals abundant water as well as strong signs of alien bacteria living deep under the crust.

2050 - The first "Gravity Drive" is developed. This will shorten the time it takes to get to mars from 6 months to 6 weeks.

2060 - The population of Mars is now over 3000 consisting solely of scientists from over 50 different nations. The UN has been meeting over the past year to discuss the possibility of opening Mars up to the private sector and eventually civilian migration. Rising religious and social tensions at home, particularly in Europe, Russia, and the USA have spurred on these talks.

2070 - The UN officially approves 70 different corporations' requests for charters to allow them passage to Mars. Over 3 trillion private Euros are invested in the creation of planet to planet space vehicles. The entire world economy sees a boom and the next golden age of mankind begins.

2080 - The newly formed "Martian Control", the unofficial government headquarters for Mars, approves the creation of 75 different sectors or as the Martians call them "States" which are each governed by a government loyal to its parent nation.

2100 - The population of Mars is now 25 million. Domes have sprung up all over Mars with nearly 300 settlements already dotting the globe. Back on Earth, tensions are rising between religious groups and governments. Terrorism has seen a major spike in the last decade. Now more than ever, people are ******* to Mars to escape the rising overpopulation and hatred at home.

2115 - Mars has become almost completely self dependent. Oxygen, water, and other important elements can be easily extracted from the planet its self. Earth's economy is near the breaking point. Without the need for large amounts of exports from Earth, Mars is flourishing. Earth is near a breaking point.

2118 - The stock markets of Earth crash in a 2 day sell-off that sees a near 65% reduction in monetary assets.

2119 - War erupts on Earth. A true world war in its form. The 2 sides fight for power over the dwindling food resources of Earth. On December 25th, Christmas morning, one last transmission arrives from Earth. The video lasts only 30 seconds. In it, a man whose face is hidden simply says to the camera, "Our inventions have outgrown us as a species. We are not ready for the challenges we have set for ourselves. Mankind must still crawl before it learns to walk. Today is the beginning." This was the last transmission ever received from Earth. The ships are no longer coming. Nobody knows where they have gone or what has happened back home.

2120 - Images from "Hubble 2" orbiting Mars have confirmed it. There has been a cataclysmic event on Earth. From what we can tell, there has been a massive chain of nuclear explosions on the surface. We are no longer Terrans. We are Martians and...we are alone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Supreme Ruler 2120

Post by Xbwalker »

Q&A

Q - What will this mod be about?
A - SR2120 is set on Mars in the year 2120. Earth has been devastated by a set of major nuclear blasts. Mars must now survive on its own.

Q - Will there be conflict?
A - Of course. This is Supreme Ruler, not Supreme Cuddle Time.

Q -
Who are the major powers?
A - SRCW is based off of the Soviet Union vs NATO/The West. SR2120 will be based in a conflict between "Mars First" or "MF" and "Reverto ut Terra" or "RUT". The Mars First states believe that Mars should remain as is and should not be terraformed. Mankind should adapt to live on Mars. The Reverto ut Terra states (which means Return to Earth in Latin) believe that we should terraform Mars and make it a new Earth. Although these idea do not justify military conflict, the RUT crowd has decided to begin terrafoming Mars even without approval. This has set off a major military buildup between the 2 sides. Now they struggle for power, dragging many neutral states into the fight. It is only a matter of time before open war erupts.

Q - When will this mod be finished?
A - Hopefully before mankind actually sends a manned mission to mars so somewhere within the next 40 years.

Q - Do you need help?
A - Yes I never turn down help. I need lots of it.
Last edited by Xbwalker on Aug 13 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Reserved for updates.
Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Post by Fistalis »

looks like a good plan.. but won't the fact that mars looks exactly like earth be strange :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Fistalis wrote:looks like a good plan.. but won't the fact that mars looks exactly like earth be strange :wink:
It won't. Changing out the image files for pics of Mars is quite easy to do. I have already replaced the main map and am working on some sort of "grid" that shows which images go where. Once I do that, It is just the job of placing each image in its place and of course cutting the larger images into many....many pieces.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Xbwalker wrote:
Fistalis wrote:looks like a good plan.. but won't the fact that mars looks exactly like earth be strange :wink:
It won't. Changing out the image files for pics of Mars is quite easy to do. I have already replaced the main map and am working on some sort of "grid" that shows which images go where. Once I do that, It is just the job of placing each image in its place and of course cutting the larger images into many....many pieces.
Yes you can change the images.. but water hexes will still be considered water hexes.. land hexes will be considered land hexes, Resources will still be the same places, region codes will still match the original map etc. You find ways around these issues let me know :D

Edit: I'm not trying to be an arse. Just listing the things that to my knowledge we have no way of modifying that would need to be modified for a scenario of this type. IF you find ways to modify these things i wanna know so i can post them to the wiki for everyone :wink:

Although given the particular scenario you've chosen there are probably a few creative work arounds you could get away with. (such as changing the water type terrain entries in the TERX file to match that of land to allow troops to "walk on water".Don't know if that would actually work but it might lol. Or making all "ground" units low air like helis etc)
Last edited by Fistalis on Aug 13 2011, edited 6 times in total.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

I will :)
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

I think I found the file that controls hex terrain types. However, it is encoded. I also noticed a graphic in the game images folder hinting at a map maker. Did this ever come to fruition or is it a remnant of some older SR series?

Some answers from the BG staff would be appreciated on this :)
LeonTrotsky
Colonel

Post by LeonTrotsky »

Sounds epic! I can't wait!
"If we had more time for discussion we should probably have made a great many more mistakes."
-Leon Trotsky
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Just a quick update. The BG staff has helped me with some info on how to divide up map images and exact measurements which is great. I'll update the wiki with the info when I get home. I am still trying to get information from them on changing terrain and resource info :)

If they will allow me to do this, I can move forward with this mod wooo.
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

if you do find out how you edit the map I would love to get in on that! (Want to add a few island nations!)
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

I have confirmed which file is the terrain file. Now comes the part where I try to decipher it lol
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

After some lengthy discussion with Chris and Dax, I have discovered that this mod will be impossible without a map editor. The game does have one..or at least the start of one but the BG team is focusing on game improvements at the moment so the map editor may be a while.

However, Chris was kind enough to send me a treasure trove of information about the .terx file and other files previously not understood. I will be posting them to the wiki today and tomorrow when I'm not working. Thanks for your interest in the mod guys. It's a bummer I can't go forward with it right now but as soon as that map editor comes out, it will be reborn.
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Damn so my mission to add some of the strangest micronations to the world as islands just aint going to work for now?!? :(
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
comrade.seawolf
Lt. Colonel

Post by comrade.seawolf »

I'm loving this Idea, I've never seen a mod like it, so I assume it will be hard. I have a question or two, if you have the time:

---Starting out with a big one, will you attempt in the future to add actual terraforming? I'd figure the RUT would already have some basic experimental tech for this. The main issue I'd think would be making it only available to the RUT, and not the Mars First. On the other hand, Mars First could have alternatives to terraforming, perhaps techs based on bio-domes, and better suited vehicles for the surface of the planet?
My thoughts on how to simulate these effects would simply be tech, with in-game bonuses, like many techs are already.
Another Idea, just to throw out there, would be a sort of "green race scenario?". Where the RUT wins by terraforming the world against the MF's will. the MF would win by crushing the RUT before they can do this, plain and simple.

---Will there be any "Space" units? If I remember correctly, ether Ruge's or Hullu's mods for SR 2020 had pseudo-space units by making a high air unit that was incredibly difficult to hit from the ground. Seeing how the storyline is, I'd expect the mars colonies to have some form of military units in orbit eventually.

---You mention Neutral powers, will those be playable just like in regular CW?

I'll be freaking impressed if you can simply change the map even, so good luck, and looking forward to it!

Return to “Modding SRCW”