Modding Q/A thread

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

dbraaker
Lieutenant

Re: Modding Q/A thread

Post by dbraaker »

has anyone so far found a way to give merchant marine units sea attack capabilities?
Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Post by Fistalis »

dbraaker wrote:has anyone so far found a way to give merchant marine units sea attack capabilities?
Unit # 20301 in the default.unit Although i'm not sure why you would want to.. lol
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Fogsight
Warrant Officer

Post by Fogsight »

Fistalis wrote:Unit # 20301 in the default.unit Although i'm not sure why you would want to.. lol
Actually I'm going to add this in my next "proper" mod version. They should have minimal sea attack otherwise they create traffic jams when meeting any rival Merchant fleet and just stand there till the end of time.

Would be better if they were truly neutral and didn't react to anything at all. And if there's a possibility to mod this that would be a much better solution.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Fogsight wrote:
Fistalis wrote:Unit # 20301 in the default.unit Although i'm not sure why you would want to.. lol
Actually I'm going to add this in my next "proper" mod version. They should have minimal sea attack otherwise they create traffic jams when meeting any rival Merchant fleet and just stand there till the end of time.

Would be better if they were truly neutral and didn't react to anything at all. And if there's a possibility to mod this that would be a much better solution.
Actually I've never seen this issue.. is it only under certain circumstances?.. in my testing they just pass through each other with out so much as a hiccup. Max stack size + few stacks in a row or something?

Might wanna report it in the support issues forum.. prob shouldn't work like that. :wink:

Btw I would personally just bump up their stealth values. Since merchant marines have terrible spotting if you bump it up to say 95 or so they'll never see each other unless other units are around.
Last edited by Fistalis on Aug 16 2011, edited 1 time in total.
dbraaker
Lieutenant

Post by dbraaker »

Merchant marine traffic jams appear all the time. just check the suez channel, gibraltar, southern asia. as soon as china or russia are at war with european countries it starts. especially france and china are problematic.
Fogsight
Warrant Officer

Post by Fogsight »

Overloaded stacks seems to me is a symptom not a problem. Every time when I've seen this happen both countries in those stacks were at war, and then probably some other countries that were caught by super stacks.

Also adding attack capabilities seems like not a very good idea in the end. They would have to be added actual tonnage to carry ammo, in excess of any possible cargo weight, they have 0 now. And with it they would eat up a lot of military goods. I'll use it if all else fails. Those bottlenecks are really annoying.

So masking with stealth above 80 should work, barring freak occurrences when allied third party would relay their position having superior radar.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

dbraaker wrote:Merchant marine traffic jams appear all the time. just check the suez channel, gibraltar, southern asia. as soon as china or russia are at war with european countries it starts. especially france and china are problematic.
perfect i set france to war with china and I see it now. So i can easily test if stealth with fix it
Fogsight wrote:Overloaded stacks seems to me is a symptom not a problem. Every time when I've seen this happen both countries in those stacks were at war, and then probably some other countries that were caught by super stacks.

Also adding attack capabilities seems like not a very good idea in the end. They would have to be added actual tonnage to carry ammo, in excess of any possible cargo weight, they have 0 now. And with it they would eat up a lot of military goods. I'll use it if all else fails. Those bottlenecks are really annoying.

So masking with stealth above 80 should work, barring freak occurrences when allied third party would relay their position having superior radar.
Ya getting ready to test the stealth fix right now, since i know the conditions to easily reproduce it.. again though.. has anyone reported this to the devs lol. I didn't see a thread in the support forums on it.
Edit: nevermind I made one :wink:
Edit again: 85 stealth wasnt enough gonna try 95 now
Fogsight
Warrant Officer

Post by Fogsight »

Fistalis wrote:Edit again: 85 stealth wasnt enough gonna try 95 now
If it fails again to know for sure if it will work at all I suppose is to set radar ID to 2 (5km spot 60) and max stealth 255.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Fogsight wrote:
Fistalis wrote:Edit again: 85 stealth wasnt enough gonna try 95 now
If it fails again to know for sure if it will work at all I suppose is to set radar ID to 2 (5km spot 60) and max stealth 255.
Well to be fair i was turning FOW on and off with the cheat menu last test so i might have buggered it that way.. this time im leaving it on lol

EDIT: 95 worked like a charm.. i might have buggered the test at 85. But the concept works :wink:
v0.65[*]Merchant marines now have a stealth value of 95 in order to prevent merchant marine traffic jams :D
see answering questions helps me mod (who's teaching who?) :lol:
To be fair though i'm saving all my playtime for when my modern world mod is good enough for me to play it without me noticing something i need to fix.
Fogsight
Warrant Officer

Post by Fogsight »

That's great, adding this to my mod.

Btw, don't know if you're noticed this, AI can add appropriate military fabrications to military complexes only when Air Base/Barracks/Sea Port present. Otherwise all lone MC present on the map right now are totally useless to AI.
MacDglas
Sergeant

Post by MacDglas »

I have a few questions.

1) How do you edit the political colour of the countries on the map?

Japan's political colour is purple, so how do I change that to red or yellow for example?

2) Do cities still evolve and change appearance just like in SR2020?

For example, do skyscrapers appear in New York or in other well developed cities? Reason why I'm asking is because I found a file within the SRCW Graphics folder called UGBITS4. When I opened it, I saw what looked like pictures of cities with skyscrapers and this is why I am wondering if cities still evolve on this game, since have seen no skyscrapers in the US during game play which is a surprise since New York for example should have these.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

ok, so I'm trying unit modding for the first time, but all I've found is a file with a ton of gibberish and numbers. Is there any spreadsheet similar to the SR2020 spreadshit with units on the Wiki for CW? Right now this is a bit over my head and I have no clue what each number means.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

If you're trying to edit units, open the default.unit file in notepad or rename it to .csv and open it as a spreadsheet. Same instructions as for SR2020, info on the Supremewiki.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Chesehead wrote:ok, so I'm trying unit modding for the first time, but all I've found is a file with a ton of gibberish and numbers. Is there any spreadsheet similar to the SR2020 spreadshit with units on the Wiki for CW? Right now this is a bit over my head and I have no clue what each number means.
Balths method above might work i haven't tried it. Personally i open it in notepad for editing. and open it in Catatonics unit viewer (in viewer mode, browser mode crashes in CW) as well and match up numbers to figure out the columns.

For example If i want to edit hard and soft attack for a unit I open up the viewer and see that a unit has a 25 hard attack and a 24 soft attack, I then find those numbers in the units line and edit them in note pad. (the column order in the viewer are pretty much the exact same order as those in the file)

Region availability is the easiest column to find. Its the only one with letters or a * :wink:
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Fistalis wrote:
Chesehead wrote:ok, so I'm trying unit modding for the first time, but all I've found is a file with a ton of gibberish and numbers. Is there any spreadsheet similar to the SR2020 spreadshit with units on the Wiki for CW? Right now this is a bit over my head and I have no clue what each number means.
Balths method above might work i haven't tried it. Personally i open it in notepad for editing. and open it in Catatonics unit viewer (in viewer mode, browser mode crashes in CW) as well and match up numbers to figure out the columns.

For example If i want to edit hard and soft attack for a unit I open up the viewer and see that a unit has a 25 hard attack and a 24 soft attack, I then find those numbers in the units line and edit them in note pad. (the column order in the viewer are pretty much the exact same order as those in the file)

Region availability is the easiest column to find. Its the only one with letters or a * :wink:
I'm slowly getting this. How do I open it in viewer mode instead of browser mode? It keeps crashing for me lol.

Return to “Modding SRCW”