Afghanistan...a Hopeless Cause? {Finished}

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Afghanistan...a Hopeless Cause? {Finished}

Post by Xbwalker »

I am going to play and attempt to win the game as Afghanistan. Me and my cocky attitude figured it would be no problem....until I started. I quickly realized that Afghanistan literally has no production buildings. Yes literally none. Anyhow, here goes.

As you can see, this country has a small budget. My military mainly consists of infantry/Militia/Cavalry in true Afghan fashion. The only real source of income available to me is taxes so time to get to taxing. By the way, I was hoping my minister would take out bonds but apparently my economy is too fragile for anyone to want to invest in me.
Last edited by Xbwalker on Aug 28 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Afghanistan...a Hopeless Cause?

Post by Xbwalker »

First order of business has been the creation of an industrial base. With no Indy Goods being made at home, I will be completely reliant on imports and I find that unacceptable. Once I have an industrial base, I will begin to tap into Afghanistan's vast resources including oil, coal, timber, agriculture, hydro power, and water.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

"From the same mind that made the Comoros a world power... Afghanistan the Epic Adventure is here!"

Meh too much sugar...

Good Luck it looks like you'll need it :)
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

CptBritish wrote:"From the same mind that made the Comoros a world power... Afghanistan the Epic Adventure is here!"

Meh too much sugar...

Hahaha! You actually remember that eh? Yes leave it to me to throw myself into hopeless situations. I will get that first indy goods done within another year and once that is done, I suspect 1-2 years to build my economy to greatness.

Hey is there a way I can see my unemployment because thus far I can't seem to find it.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Ha I just realized that my cabinet and treasury ministers are women. Last I checked, that would be quite impossible in Afghanistan of the 1950s and today for that matter.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Xbwalker wrote:
CptBritish wrote:"From the same mind that made the Comoros a world power... Afghanistan the Epic Adventure is here!"

Meh too much sugar...

Hahaha! You actually remember that eh? Yes leave it to me to throw myself into hopeless situations. I will get that first indy goods done within another year and once that is done, I suspect 1-2 years to build my economy to greatness.

Hey is there a way I can see my unemployment because thus far I can't seem to find it.
Yea it was a really good read and inspired me to try my hand at smaller nations... I didn't quite do as well as you though.
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Xbwalker wrote:Ha I just realized that my cabinet and treasury ministers are women. Last I checked, that would be quite impossible in Afghanistan of the 1950s and today for that matter.
Actually, I believe the afghan constitution mandates a certain percentage (10%?) of government positions must be held by women.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Well I am coming up on 1.5 years and have built 2 industrial goods plants. The 3rd is nearly complete. I had begun construction on a hydro dam but realized that it was an enormous economic undertaking so I put it on pause. Once the last industrial plant is done, I will start on some power plants.
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Xbwalker wrote:Well I am coming up on 1.5 years and have built 2 industrial goods plants. The 3rd is nearly complete. I had begun construction on a hydro dam but realized that it was an enormous economic undertaking so I put it on pause. Once the last industrial plant is done, I will start on some power plants.
Coal power is really the way to go. The investment/return on hydro plants is horrible, even when you factor in fuel costs.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

I might take that advice since I only have a few hexes for oil. I have LOTS of coal hexes :). Looks like Afghanistan will choke in the mighty pollution of progress!!
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Finally after 2 years of careful handling, my economy is growing. I have a huge oil surplus and am importing coal to fund my growing coal power base. I decided against building my own coal mines since the market price is only 1 dollar above production price. Instead I am focusing on building up my other resources in order to become a major exporter of goods. Next on the agenda is consumer goods for my patient and underfed people.

Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

After 4 years of economic recovery and advancement, Afghanistan is now the leading economic power in the region. With a GDP of nearly 600, we have passed even the USSR. Also, public support is at a world record breaking high of 62%.

With a solid income of around 20mil per day, I decided it was time to start up my military ambitions.

Thanks to my peaceful 4 years of money building, I have been offered units by quite a few nations looking to make a quick buck. After scrapping my older infantry and replacing them with new Russian inspired Motorized Infantry (USSR is at perfect relations with me) I have around 50 units consisting of 75% motorized infantry, 5% mountain infantry, and 20% artillery with cavalry spotters (6 Arty with 1 recon per stack).

There are 2 operations. The operation in the north is codenamed "Operation Firewall". The primary goal of Operation Firewall is to move a line of Motorized Infantry slowly into the northern sector of Pakistan. The "Firewall" will be the heavy assortment of artillery following directly behind them. I expect many enemy casualties both military and civilian. The first segment of this operation will end with the siege of the capital of Pakistan.

Operation "Falling Rain" will focus on the resource rich southern region. Our primary goal is to capture Quetta, the primary military quarters of Pakistan's southern defense force and the hub of most traffic heading north and south west of the Indus River.

We are heavily outmatched as far as economic and population resources go but we have no choice. We have reached our maximum potential with our small population of 8.7 million souls.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Conquering Pakistan was much easier than anticipated. The worst part was the length of time it took to conquer SOOOOOO many cities.
Here is my army poised on the other side of the Indus river.

As you can see here, I have finished the Pakistanis and now suddenly Iran feels it is a good time to take a shot at me. Bad idea for them. Their DOW on me means a free war in which I get no blame. In this pic, you can see I had to rush what few troops I had to the frontline and unfortunately give up some ground in the south.

Iran/Persia put up a much better fight. I attribute this to their super modern biplanes. Their pilots were expertly dropping rocks from their superior biplane bombers and I am told we even suffered one casualty. One of our soldiers tripped and fell on his own knife because he was distracted by the antiquated bomber overhead.

Although I could have conquered Tehran on my way through the great nation of Persia, I decided to teach the Persians a lesson. I will squeeze their capital with the bulk of my force and none will survive.
Samer
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Post by Samer »

Awesome. You should bombard the capital to kill all the evil civilians there :)
Liustares
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Post by Liustares »

Awesome. As the Mighty Afghan army approaches Tehran, the remaining Persian forces prepare a last stand. I wonder what's gonna happend next.
NEW AAR!
MEXICO: ASCENT OF THE EAGLE'S COVENANT

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 54&t=19004
Follow this epic series with captivating storyline!!!
CHAPTER 2 RELEASED!!!

Return to “After Action Reports”