Increasing Trade Surplus

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

John Hancock
Corporal
Human: Yes

Increasing Trade Surplus

Post by John Hancock »

Hello, everyone.

I was wondering how I would increase my trade surplus? Right now, my country has a deficit. We have $25,000,000,000 ($25 bln) in the treasury and the year is coming to a close, so it's roughly 1955. I'm Argentina, if it matters.

I am trying to maintain maximum social spending while keeping the taxes low enough that my approval rating plateaus or increases. It worked originally, but then as the quality rating increased so did the cost, and now our trade isn't enough to override the deficit and the treasury is slowly depleting.

Should I just build as many profitable facilities as possible and put my minister on 'Maximize Profit Opportunities'?

TL;DR - I want to increase my trade surplus in order to balance out our deficit without decreasing social spending or increasing taxes. What's the way to do that?
barkhauer
Colonel

Re: Increasing Trade Surplus

Post by barkhauer »

John Hancock wrote:Hello, everyone.

I was wondering how I would increase my trade surplus? Right now, my country has a deficit. We have $25,000,000,000 ($25 bln) in the treasury and the year is coming to a close, so it's roughly 1955. I'm Argentina, if it matters.

I am trying to maintain maximum social spending while keeping the taxes low enough that my approval rating plateaus or increases. It worked originally, but then as the quality rating increased so did the cost, and now our trade isn't enough to override the deficit and the treasury is slowly depleting.

Should I just build as many profitable facilities as possible and put my minister on 'Maximize Profit Opportunities'?

TL;DR - I want to increase my trade surplus in order to balance out our deficit without decreasing social spending or increasing taxes. What's the way to do that?
Your social spending has driven your GDP/c and inflation so high that your costs are overwhelming your incomes. Trying to increase production will just result in paying more salaries and exacerbate the problem. What you're seeing is a normal, and expected, correction. Pull your social spending back to middling levels, bring your taxes up to the same, and things should stabilize. Also, look into whether you are producing commodities that you could import more cheaply. For example, are you mining metal at $9 that you could buy from the market at $7? If that is the case, shut down domestic production and import instead. This frees up workers to produce more profitable stuff (in SRCW as Argentina, likely petroleum, but check your prices first).
John Hancock
Corporal
Human: Yes

Re: Increasing Trade Surplus

Post by John Hancock »

That seems to be working, thanks!

I had decreased social spending to a bit lower than what my taxes paid for. We're still running a deficit, but the profits from trade helps to make up for that.

Our inflation was in the high 30's and is slowly dropping. Unemployment is rising slowly but is still under 2%. GDP dropped a bit, but we're still one of the richest per capita and that's going up, albeit slower than before.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”