Unemployment at 1.1%!!!!

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

irfanahmed1979
Major
Human: Yes

Re: Unemployment at 1.1%!!!!

Post by irfanahmed1979 »

Unemployment at 1.7% and its April 1953
irfanahmed1979
Major

Post by irfanahmed1979 »

I think I've found out the problem for the low unemployment, my GDP is too high. It is currently above 3800 (and increasing). I have researched heavily and maybe that's what's causing the high GDP. I did scrap some old military units but it didn't make any difference.

I also have 37 research centers. Does the GDP increase only when I research something or also if these research centers are active but some are idle?
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

irfanahmed1979 wrote:I think I've found out the problem for the low unemployment, my GDP is too high. It is currently above 3800 (and increasing). I have researched heavily and maybe that's what's causing the high GDP. I did scrap some old military units but it didn't make any difference.

I also have 37 research centers. Does the GDP increase only when I research something or also if these research centers are active but some are idle?
Low unemployment -> upward wage pressures -> high GDP/c. Your GDP/c is the effect, not the cause. 37 research centers means you have WAY too many people working in R&D, scrap down to 5-10 facilities. Also, you control the number of workers in your military via the WAGE slider under the defense minister. Keeping this high is a double-whammy: it both increases employment, and causes GDP/c to increase, driving wage costs even higher in a feedback loop. Lower that wages slider to encourage people to muster out of the reserves, which will raise unemployment, moderate GDP/c growth, and combat inflation.

Also, check your defense fabrications. After I go on conquering sprees, I have to regularly close these to keep the defense:maintenance budget under control (not to mention they suck up a lot of reserves.) I find that, no matter who I play as, I never need more than 40 land fabs, 3 air, 20 naval. I can often world conquest with quite a bit less.
irfanahmed1979
Major

Post by irfanahmed1979 »

barkhauer wrote:
irfanahmed1979 wrote:I think I've found out the problem for the low unemployment, my GDP is too high. It is currently above 3800 (and increasing). I have researched heavily and maybe that's what's causing the high GDP. I did scrap some old military units but it didn't make any difference.

Low unemployment -> upward wage pressures -> high GDP/c. Your GDP/c is the effect, not the cause. 37 research centers means you have WAY too many people working in R&D, scrap down to 5-10 facilities. Also, you control the number of workers in your military via the WAGE slider under the defense minister. Keeping this high is a double-whammy: it both increases employment, and causes GDP/c to increase, driving wage costs even higher in a feedback loop. Lower that wages slider to encourage people to muster out of the reserves, which will raise unemployment, moderate GDP/c growth, and combat inflation.

Also, check your defense fabrications. After I go on conquering sprees, I have to regularly close these to keep the defense:maintenance budget under control (not to mention they suck up a lot of reserves.) I find that, no matter who I play as, I never need more than 40 land fabs, 3 air, 20 naval. I can often world conquest with quite a bit less.
Alright, I'll try.
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

My apologies to everyone. I'm clearly an idiot. I guess i let my frustration (not all of which is related to SR1936) out at the wrong place/time.

Thanks for all the feedback - i'll see what i can do with it.
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

tax small businnes and company
Con forza ed ardimento
forumname
Major

Post by forumname »

I ignore these numbers early in games...as I know eventually I will conquer China, India, or both...after which all unemployment 'problems' cease to exist.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Tad bit of thread necro but . . . this seems to be one of the best, most cogent threads on some of the intricacies of SR economy on the boards so I wanted to get it into my list.

Didn't realize the benefit from colonizing versus annexing was quite that large. Question: is there any way to insure that your colonies ALWAYS give you their excess resources?

Reason I ask is . . . playing as Germany in SRU, I went ahead and annexed Czech (well Bohemia and Moravia) and Poland. I wanted the oil mainly.

I'm guessing the way the engine works in SRU is the same as in SRCW. Do colonies automatically send you any excess production beyond what they need? Or do you have to manually get it from them?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

They give you most of their excess goods, yes. Same in SRU
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Anthropoid
Colonel