Trident Missiles

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

adz106
Corporal
Human: Yes

Trident Missiles

Post by adz106 »

Playing as the US the Trident I SLBM is the only nuclear launched Trident missile. Why are the Trident II and III non-nuclear missiles?? This has to be an error in the game?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Trident Missiles

Post by Balthagor »

Trident II and Trident III are in the game. ID 8779 and 8933.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
adz106
Corporal

Post by adz106 »

You are correct they are in the game, and for some reason they aren't nuclear missiles in my game. I just bought this game about 2 months ago and am playing the stock 7.3.1 latest update.

Why are the II and III non-nuclear missiles? Is something wrong with my game or do I need another technology or something? They are just standard missiles.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Huh, you are correct. It's an error, those should be nuclear or there should be nuclear versions of them. It's been like that for years, you're the first one who noticed it.

I will see about having it fixed for our data used in Supreme Ruler 1936 however development has ended for Supreme Ruler Cold War, we won't have a chance to fix it in that version. The modding community will probably make some corrections available for their mods.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

small update to this, the Trident III is a fictional unit that they proposed as a non-nuclear version so those aren't wrong per say, but I'm working to add the nuclear versions as well.

They are being added to the SR1936 data but I'll push them back for modding at some point.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

This has been brought up before. And you even answered it:
Balthagor wrote:IIRC there are both nuclear and conventional versions of the Trident in the equipment file. I think it's the same model but the nuclear one has red lines, the conventional has blue lines.
You could also go back to the time when BG was adding in the TridentII to the equipments file. In real life around this period there was talk about conventional Trident II's. Pulled this from the wiki:
Conventional Trident[edit]

The Pentagon proposed the Conventional Trident Modification program in 2006 to diversify its strategic options,[12] as part of a broader long-term strategy to develop worldwide rapid strike capabilities, dubbed "Prompt Global Strike".

The US$503 million program would have converted existing Trident II missiles (presumably two missiles per submarine) into conventional weapons, by fitting them with modified Mk4 reentry vehicles equipped with GPS for navigation update and a reentry guidance and control (trajectory correction) segment to perform 10 m class impact accuracy. No explosive is said to be used since the reentry vehicle's mass and hypersonic impact velocity provide sufficient mechanical energy and "effect". The second conventional warhead version is a fragmentation version that would disperse thousands of tungsten rods which could obliterate an area of 3000 square feet. (approximately 280 square meters).[13] It offered the promise of accurate conventional strikes with little warning and flight time.

The primary drawback of using conventionally tipped ballistic missiles is that they are virtually impossible for radar warning systems to distinguish from nuclear-tipped missiles. This leaves open the likelihood that other nuclear-armed countries might mistake it for a nuclear launch which could provoke a counterattack. For that reason among others, this project raised a substantial debate before US Congress for the FY07 Defense budget, but also internationally.[14] Then Russian President Vladimir Putin, among others, warned that the project would increase the danger of accidental nuclear war. "The launch of such a missile could ... provoke a full-scale counterattack using strategic nuclear forces," Putin said in May 2006.[15]

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”