Damaged facilities can be used? So what's the point...

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

vorius
Lt. Colonel

Damaged facilities can be used? So what's the point...

Post by vorius »

I wanted to help China in their proxy war against USA and I identified two main problems the Chinese need to overcome: a) is to neutralize the insane bombardment ships that are constantly patrolling the coast there and b) is to stop the allies from reinforcing the area with troops.

For b) I thought I found their achilles heel which was that they only had one sea port on hong kong, and I watched them ferry units in and out using merchant marine ships (no special traits so must use ports to load/unload). So I flood Hong Kong with spies set to sabotage and eventually damage the sea port. Great, that should stop them for a while, right? Nope. They continue to use the port to send units out as well as receive units as if nothing changed. So damaged facility still works, I fail to see the point in damaging facilities now.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Damaged facilities can be used? So what's the point...

Post by Balthagor »

Facilities that have production produce at a reduced rate when damaged. All facilities cost a player money and finished goods (IG and MG for military) to repair so you are slowing their production in other places.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
vorius
Lt. Colonel

Post by vorius »

Oh, that's too bad :-(

Did you guys decide it would be too easy if damaged military facilities were penalized? Just curious...

It kind of makes strategic bombing become, well, not so strategic

And I assume the only way to actually destroy a facility remains to be by capturing the hex and using demolish?
provolone
Warrant Officer

Post by provolone »

You need to go all in. Declare war and deploy naval assets. Consider recapturing a small area of China for use as a base.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I don't recall the conversations around what effect(s) should be applied to a damaged military facility though George reminded me that facilities like piers generate less supply when they are damaged.

Facilities are destroyed when they health is <2% IIRC. How you get it there is up to you; sabotage, artillery, air strikes or missiles can be used. Damage applied has diminishing returns (doing damage from 100% to 95% is easier than 95% to 90%)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
vorius
Lt. Colonel

Post by vorius »

Oh wow, that is news to me - that the facility can actually be destroyed without having to capture the hex... can't wait to try that! Should be a lot easier in my case - the country who holds Hong Kong (I think it's actually France not UK) is having serious lack of materials - I have not seen these facilities get repaired at all and they look like the bar is empty maybe just a slight sliver of red in them... I'll keep spamming sabotage to see if it eventually gets destroyed

But even then I am afraid the AI has been using a bridge to drop off units! Is that... legal? I saw a merchant marine ship approach and I thought it was going to Hong Kong but it instead passed the city went up the bay and to a bridge, and a Greyhound recon unit appeared on the bridge and the merchant marine ship disappeared. Suspicious... :wink:
vorius
Lt. Colonel

Post by vorius »

provolone wrote:You need to go all in. Declare war and deploy naval assets. Consider recapturing a small area of China for use as a base.
Hmm, I suppose I may have to not only because of this... but in the last 15 minutes of my session last night the Chinese AI made a questionable move... despite their difficulty in holding back the allies at Hong Kong, they decided to declare war on India and South Korea within a game day! They dont share a border with India so I dont see much trouble there but S. Korea squashed N. Korea so they have a shared border and has already made big gains towards Beijing by the time I had to call it quits for the night 15 minutes later....
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

vorius wrote:...city went up the bay and to a bridge, and a Greyhound recon unit appeared on the bridge and the merchant marine ship disappeared. Suspicious... :wink:
If you have a savegame of just before this happens, please send it over. It was reported previously but I can't remember if I had a reproducible case for us to test with.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

I see Facilities in-game as part of a certain goods production in a certain Hex and region. This meaning that if you Have a consumergoods factory in-game in say New York, That dosen't mean that there's only one CG factory in NY, instead the in-game CG Factory represents the total production of all CG related facilities in 'real-life' NY. Since NY is a big place, you can't simply bomb every single facility from the face of NY at once. Thus I think the current system is the most realistic
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
vorius
Lt. Colonel

Post by vorius »

Balthagor wrote:
vorius wrote:...city went up the bay and to a bridge, and a Greyhound recon unit appeared on the bridge and the merchant marine ship disappeared. Suspicious... :wink:
If you have a savegame of just before this happens, please send it over. It was reported previously but I can't remember if I had a reproducible case for us to test with.
ok I will try to catch one

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”