Playing as USSR

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Anthropoid
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Playing as USSR

Post by Anthropoid »

Thanks 47. So it is just a 'passive' capacity to fight the enemies of my allies, not the ability to provoke wars via my allies that are not already happening.

While that is reasonably limited, it rather changes my strategy for playing as USSR! :o

I would imagine that fighting against either Laos or S. Korea in either of those two wars will spoil my relations with the West and if I combine that with the proper amount of espionage in the right places, maybe I can provoke them to declare war on me.

*sigh* looks like yet another restart is called for.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

I think I've finally figured out a system to get my starting USSR infrastructure set up the way I want. The main issue is: lots of fabs, lots of low supply hexes = unnecessary hit on finances and relations.

1. Turn off all fabs
2. Lock all commodities and set domestic tax to 200%
3. Turn off purchasing for all except electricity (even that can be left off really) and turn off all commodity sales.
4. Get the finance and research ministers setup and locked out.
5. Build an airbase in Moscow
6. Send all units to reserves
7. Deactivate all: airstrips; coal and petrol power plants; industrial, and military goods; oil fields (Russia has no starting farms, waterworks, timber mills or uranium mines).
8. Use the cities list to identify towns or cities that have IG or MG and power plants and turn those back on.
9. Start the timer and turn on oil fields as needed to keep a static surplus.

The problem is, there are a ton of facilities built all over Siberia that have starting supply levels well below 30% and those are doing nothing but drive up inflation and use manpower. By this system, all of those extremely low-yield facilities get turned off and then the ones in a town or city with ~40% supply get turned back on.

Then the project over the next year or two is to spread the supply network so I get ~80% or so everywhere!
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

I've found as the USSR the best bet is to gradually start resevering units and getting rid of most of their current units. One thing I do as a house rule as them is to get rid of all my "lend-lease" equipment ASAP. I've found motorcycle recon useless, yet a good tool for gifting out to countries that are neutral as they have a high worth yet I find them useless. I also concentrait on advancing west instead of holding ground, which is why I favor primarily motorized infantry at the start.

I usually start building TU-4's at the begining since they are the only nuclear delivery system begining, since I use the strat pool and they usually give those aircraft 100% extra fuel for some reason. (maybe simulate tankers?) Eventually, the next best bomber is the TU-22 to research and deploy.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Now that I know how the Proxy system works, I've got troops in NV and have received the "Taking neutral fire" from France message. Will see if I actually get some cassus belli from it and if so, maybe take the plunge and get into an early war with the West!? I'm guessing that that will not turn out the way I would want but it could be entertaining.

Not having fought any wars as USSR yet, I don't really know how effective the buildup paths I've followed in playthroughs so far would be but, so far I have done the following:

Within a year or two you can be building Tu-95 and the Blinder tanker as well as the 100kt bombs. With a large enough fleet of those (say 50 or 60 of each air squadron and each bomber with one 100kt bomb and two 10kt bombs) I am betting that I can launch a pretty devastating first strike on the U.S. and wipe out ALL of its missile building capacity and most of its military fabs. The retaliatory strike I would hope to have plenty of air defense sites as well as plenty of interceptors pre-set on patrol as I know that if I don't have that they will vaporize most of my bases.

For land units, I've built tons of the Light Infantry. I think the stats on that unit are a bit off and it seems a bit to generic to be the best early motorized infantry for USSR.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Anthropoid wrote:For land units, I've built tons of the Light Infantry. I think the stats on that unit are a bit off and it seems a bit to generic to be the best early motorized infantry for USSR.
Both, US and USSR Light Infantry are a bit overpowered...and don't forget to build gazillion of T-10M tanks :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

number47 wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:For land units, I've built tons of the Light Infantry. I think the stats on that unit are a bit off and it seems a bit to generic to be the best early motorized infantry for USSR.
Both, US and USSR Light Infantry are a bit overpowered...and don't forget to build gazillion of T-10M tanks :D
Yep, does seem to be a good one as far as the stats. IS-6 Shashmurin is actually a good defender tank though. Might be the best close-combat defense unit the Soviets have up through the early 1950s.

I did not know very much about the specifics of the Cold War conventional military techs, and only vaguely had the sense that USSR was economically/industrially ineffecient and undiversified (minerals, oil and heavy industry and not enough electronics and consumer in game terms). But it seems to me the devs have done a good job of representing the challenges for the Soviet Union. Blue-sphere sway aside, which only makes it a bit -more- challenging, not less.
Decimvs
Sergeant

Post by Decimvs »

Anthropoid wrote:I think I've finally figured out a system to get my starting USSR infrastructure set up the way I want. The main issue is: lots of fabs, lots of low supply hexes = unnecessary hit on finances and relations.

1. Turn off all fabs
2. Lock all commodities and set domestic tax to 200%
3. Turn off purchasing for all except electricity (even that can be left off really) and turn off all commodity sales.
4. Get the finance and research ministers setup and locked out.
5. Build an airbase in Moscow
6. Send all units to reserves
7. Deactivate all: airstrips; coal and petrol power plants; industrial, and military goods; oil fields (Russia has no starting farms, waterworks, timber mills or uranium mines).
8. Use the cities list to identify towns or cities that have IG or MG and power plants and turn those back on.
9. Start the timer and turn on oil fields as needed to keep a static surplus.

The problem is, there are a ton of facilities built all over Siberia that have starting supply levels well below 30% and those are doing nothing but drive up inflation and use manpower. By this system, all of those extremely low-yield facilities get turned off and then the ones in a town or city with ~40% supply get turned back on.

Then the project over the next year or two is to spread the supply network so I get ~80% or so everywhere!

I have no idea where the cities list is.. It's driving me insane. I love Russia, but the way they have this country setup by default really sucks.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Where you see the hex name or hex x,y coordinates, click on that to access the cities list.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

This is what I used

Also, I think the country setup is actually good. It represents the highly inefficient, and relatively primitive national economic structure that Stalin created and also reflects the transformation of Soviet infrastructure as a result of the war, i.e., shifting of lots of industry to the farther east to keep it out of possibility of harm from Nazi invasion and to allow them to fight on interminably if necessary.

It is a lot of micro-managing to get the Russian infrastructure and economy improving, but I think that is exactly how it should be. Not to mention that, in the 'hands' of the AI, the starting setup needs to insure that Russia can (a) grow massive; but (b) tend toward ineffeciency and sluggishness.

ADDIT: my Russian / Soviet area geography was pretty deficient. I've been playing for many hours VERY slowly because I've been trying to learn the geography and I find I spend as much time on Google Earth studying the actual map, the pics that people have posted, and then going on Wiki and reading up about stuff. Was suprised to learn that Novosobirsk seems to be a thriving economic city now, and is as in game still the third largest city in Russia, despite being east of the Urals.

ADDIT*2: Hey Balth would it be very hard to change my code so that the name boxes for cities and towns show up as the same size as the capital?

One thing I find challenging with USSR is, it can be difficult to scroll-zoom in on the right settlement in Central Asia cause they all kind've blend together.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Anthropoid wrote:ADDIT*2: Hey Balth would it be very hard to change my code so that the name boxes for cities and towns show up as the same size as the capital?
Don't think that's possible.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Awrighty. Thanks Balth.

ADDIT: some suggestions I'd have for future games that I've come up with from playing USSR:

1. In forested areas, if you have hexes on and travel lines shown, the amount of detail if you have a lot of units in a small area can get overwhelming. Some filters similar to what they introduced in Civ4 (e.g., hide unit; hide air units; hide land units; hide terrain detail; hide infrastructure) would help with this a lot.

2. More options for selecting and displaying units by restricted type: e.g., hide active units; hide idle units; etc.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: thought's on.....Playing as USSR

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Anthropoid wrote:Until the possible "Blue Always Win" bug gets pinned down and/or fixed for sure, I'm holding off on playing as U.S. and minor powers. If I play USSR, and act friendly enough, on Normal diplo I know I can even grow my red sphere, even if there is some sort of 'bug' causing blue sphere to grow disproportionately.

I've started and restarted as USSR a few times now and find their strengths and weaknesses very intriguing and would really like to play all the way to 'end game.' I feel like I now have a sufficient handle on their OOB, economic and industrial situation, techs and diplomacy to play and have developed some general strategic principles (which I'll list below).

Last night I started up a new game with the settings that I've come to realize are most suited for my interests: Hard Milit; Normal econ and diplo; High random events; enhanced spotting and range off; Sphere victory (this seems to me to be the most realistic in that, it should hypothetically be feasible to 'win' without ever actually declaring war on anyone and simply growing your sphere through 'philanthropy' and diplomacy; pretty much everything else default.

COMMENT: Am currently playing USSR as well and would like to comment on several of your observations, as below.
I too have started and re-started both Single and Multi-player games as USSR, partly the result of BG release of Update 1 & 2 -
and now awaiting Update 3, as I understand ground forces in USSR Far East regions have been somewhat rebalanced, as have China ground force numbers.

Player Settings: alway play Hard Econ, Military - Very High Random Events - No End Game Length; as for military setting - ALWAYS play with No 'Enhanced Artillery Range' [because this allows extended arty ranges as if they already had RAP rounds, etc., and is quite unrealistic given the first couple decades of game play.]

My question to anyone who has also played as USSR is:

What do you do with all those UNITS!?

My God what a tangle of crappy obsolete aircraft, and units the Soviets have strewn across Eastern Europe . . . In previous games, I simply did the rubber-band select on _everything_ and told it to go to Reserve. This was before I realized that there are Russia hexes INSIDE Ukraine, Lithuania, etc. and later wound up moving nearly all those units back inside or Russia to garrison hubs or go to reserve inside Russia.

COMMENT. The Orbat for both Land, Air and Naval units was provided BG at the beginning of development.
Ref your "crappy obsolete aircraft"....yes, but the Russian kept these in service because pilots were familiar with them, others had medium- and high-altitude performances (Spitfires) not available with Russian fighters, lots of Lend-Lease aircraft (late-model P-40s, P-39, P-63 and B-25s to mention a few) were still in active service in late-1949. This was partly the result of wartime Soviet losses and the quality of Western aircraft - they simply lasted longer than most Russian aircraft.

So what do you guys do? Garrison on the border with the West? Garrison in a strong defensive line in your WP allies, else farther back inside your colonies? Send everything to reserve?

What to do with "old" combat aircraft? I put them in reserve and over coming year, sell them to my allies (North Korea, Bulgaria, etc.) and neutral regions. Same applies to older Armored Cars and Cavalry.

Historically, Soviets kept a high level of ground units in Eastern Europe - especially East Germany - out of distrust of the West and this was part of Group of Soviet Forces there in 1949.

Generally, out of respect for the historical fears of the West and distrust of the occupied nationalities of Eastern Europe, I keep much of the East German-based garrison there, knowing the AI or US-player is going to shove great numbers of units into Western Germany. France appears to deplete its forces due to the demand to fight North Vietnam. But, once tried to see how
far USSR could get if they "jumped off" against Western garrison in West Berlin and into W. Germany - got into Netherland's
and then things slowed up, as American and British units began arriving to European ports.

A few observations/strategic principles I've developed:

1. USSR starting OOB is strangely lacking in infantry, though I suppose with a close combat defense of 12 their SU-100 anti-tank is just as good for garrisoning in close combat hexes?

COMMENT. This is the direct result of BG cutting out large blocks of Infantry and artillery from the original OOB given them - there view that the number of units had to be reduced. Unfortunately, it appears that this reduction got more-and-more aggressive as they "moved" from Eastern Europe to Soviet Asia....one effect I have noticed when playing Single games, its that Soviet allies (which rapidly become China, North Korea, and usually the Czech & Poles, re-deploy their units to Soviet areas -

....this is a case where the AI is "taking-over" the game from the Player....where it perceives that there are insufficient Land or Air units to defend its own allies, in this case the USSR. This needs to be changed! :-(
In one game, the USSR had scads of Saudi Arabian (an ally in mid-50), North Korean, and others all over the USSR!

2. USSR has an overabundance of artillery, motorcycle recon, unmounted Engineers & old Lavochkin squadrons. In the past I have gifted these en masse to warm relations with N Viet, N Korea, Eritrea, etc., but to be honest I'm not sure that I was really helping them by soaking up their manpower with these seemingly antiquated units? I'm now tending toward just plain scrapping any interceptor that has less than 10 or 11 mid air strength, any arty with less than 15 or 20 attack, and the moto recons and engineers I'm not sure about.

COMMENT. While the strategy fits the game needs, I tend to (wrongly of course!) also sell them off - the only concern for not doing this is when you are playing a High Volatility game, USSR can find itself at war with the UK (in particular, plus a couple of its European smaller allies) and fighting to get enough units to defend the Baltic and Arctic regions! In that case, the Brit's came half-way down the Karelian Peninsula and were fighting just west of Leningrad, very quickly.[see your comment below...]

3. Having played through a couple times now and tried different things, I'm not sure what real use keeping such a large and overall antiquated army on active duty serves me as USSR. I have yet to see any Blue aggression up through about 1952, and by then I can have produced a couple hundred Light Infantry which are apparently better than the standard leg infantry in every respect and quick to build. Mountain Infantry are substantially better at attack and defense though slow, and Combat Engineers are also much better but take considerably longer than the Light Infantry. But in any event, it seems that pretty quickly 'replacing' most of the existing Soviet Infantry, Engineers, Tanks and artillery is the smart way to go? I wouldn't imagine that those older designs would do much more than act as 'meat-shields' in actual combat.

COMMENT. I sell-off most of the lower-end Infantry and Pioneer Engineers. I build quantities of Heavy Supply Vehicles (or a alternative design bought from a Western country) early-on, to move Leg infantry and engineers around where I want them.

Combat Engineers are indeed fine to built - but naturally take more time to build. If one gets into a war early, Motorized Infantry are essential to provide numbers before one can build greater numbers of Half-Track Infantry and Combat Engineers that are necessary for assaulting city garrisons.

4. USSR has paratroops, but aparently no air transport designs that are capable of carrying them. Should I split those para battalions or forge toward better transport aircraft designs? Related to this, I noticed the U.S. is not the least bit hesitant to trade any and all of its designs for the right price, which I was honestly a bit disappointed to see. U.S. should just NOT trade its designs to anyone that it doesn't have truly awesome relations with _and_ is in its sphere if not also allied. I will follow a house rule not to exploit that, but I did find it slightly immersion breaking.

COMMENT. Unfortunately, when BG designed the "Soviet" track infantry, even a first-split Paratroop unit is too large for a C-47 (or Li-2....both of which were in the Soviet air force in 1949) Dakota.

Part of the "problem" is that BG uses one 'standard' for all aircraft squadrons....some countries used aircraft numbers in a "squadron" significantly higher - in order to accommodate either a half-battalion or full-battalion of Para's, and para battalion's varied greatly in size between armies - therefore, the "one size fits all" of BG does not work well in game terms.

I tend to go after a early twin-engine transport design from Tech options, in the fist 7 Tech design options available.
Historically, the Soviets in the early-post war years replaced C-47/Li-2s in the military airborne / strategic reserve foreces
with the IL-12 (Crate)...but not in game, so you have to go further down the Tech level to get another, longer to develop design!

5. The Yak-23 Flora versus the Mig-15 Fagot. Based on the in-game stats, the Flora is a better aircraft, though only a bit. In contrast, based on my wiki studying, it seems the Fagot was the main Soviet plane used in the Korean War and the Flora only had a few models built?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-23
the Yak-23 was quickly replaced in the Soviet service with the more complicated swept-wing MiG-15, which offered superior performance. In all, only 310 Yak-23 aircraft were built before production ended in 1950.
Just an error in the stats?

COMMENT. It is a bit over-rated, especially in its Mid-Air rating. On my work copy mdb, this has been adjusted downward [ATM, forgot the numbers but will Edit here later and insert them in...]. Stat's are based on Russian State trials.

6. As far as economy/production the pattern I've tended to follow so far is:

a. turn off as much of all facilities as possible. Given the low level of supply throughout most of the country (even Moscow only has about 60% at start!) I think leaving all those facilities putting out a trickle of production is a waste of manpower and serves to do little other than drive up inflation and employment.

b. spread a high supply network from Moscow to the nearby regions to boost productivity

c. focus on social/medical/science techs

d. try to get coal and uranium production up a bit, build more petrol and coal power plants while upping petrol production to keep up, then as the supply network gets spread a bit, bring more consumer, military and industrial facilities back online.

COMMENT. Strategy here depends on what I want to do in terms of national strategy: a] do I want to support North Korea early-on? b] do we want to take advantage of our overwhelming Land forces in GDR and invade W.Germany - or even just Berlin?; or, other?

In Current single game, the Turk's twice shot down PBY Catalina's flying Black Sea patrol....the third time, I declared war. The objective was to only take "European Turkey", using forces in W. Pact and Ukrainian based units. We succeeded...but the Turk's would not surrender! Despite repeated Diplomatic offers. So, we moved across the Istanbul border and in eastern Turkey via Georgian Republic. In the end, we subdued Turkey and Colonized it! With extension of the war, it became necessary to draw units from as far as Moscow and Ulyanovsk, as well as GDR. Good example of how "best laid plans don't work out" as desired.

7. Military: I have mainly built Light Infantry, which seem to be in most respects as good as Mt. Infantry except mobile, quick to build and rather cheap. Almost seems kind of overpowered for such a generic unit though. None of the Soviet bombers I've noticed so far seem to have the range to hit targets inside the continental U.S. so I'm at a bit of a loss for how to pose a credible nuclear threat.

COMMENT. I try and avoid building infantry-type units until I perceive a war coming. The focus is to replace "lost artillery"...that taken from game by BG, early-on. Try to get a Self-Propelled Gun or Howitzer (SPG/SPH) soonest, including buy outside USSR if need be. The Russian fought WW2 mostly with towed artillery, and that is what you see in the SR-CW game in 1949.

Very quickly, the Military Goods and Industrial Goods can come up short when one begins having to build out max number of units (IIRC, 46 units). So, it is a good idea to get this capacity up, early-on.

Naval Units - the game screwed-up getting all the proper available naval units that the Soviet could historically build in 1949 -
even some of the units in the ground ORBAT are not available for production (look at IS-3 and IS-4's), along with several naval units designs. [Some of this might have been corrected in Update 3 - but don't think all are corrected].

Oh yeah, the IS-6 Shashmurin seems to be a pretty decent tank, but with all of that forest and villages in Eastern Europe I don't see those as being that useful in early game? Even in Turkey there is an lot of close combat hexes and I have yet to see a really potent soviet mobile infantry design as far as I've gone in the Tech tree, which is admittedly not far.
IS-6 was a prototyped heavy tank design the Soviets developed to counter the increasingly heavy German tanks and AT vehicles like 'Ferdinand'. It pre-dated the T-10 series, but is directly linked to their origins. My preference is to built 3-4xT-54 Mod 1949 and one IS-6, and combine them into a small brigade with Half-Track Infantry and a light tank battalion (T-70 or T-80).

FURTHER....the issue of Strategy becomes paramount, even at the very beginning.

I have found support North Vietnam (SRV) not worth the effort, though it can do a great deal to drain U.S. forces if the war goes on for a year....this can have a secondary benefit of making it easier for North Korea to invade South Korea in June 50 and find significantly less support from the U.S. (that is the case with the current game), but this also required heavily supporting North Korea with Land and Air units (much of it can be older stuff - T-34-76s, Yak-7, Yak-9, a couple IL-10 and a few Yak-17 jets.
One need not equal U.S. quality across the board - mostly the air units are F-82 Twin Mustang and mix of F-80A & C jets.
[The AI has no idea what to do with A-26 Invader and B-29s in Japan and Okinawa... :-( ]

In this particular game, when North Korea invaded the South, the war proceeded slowly, as the North absorbed a mix of ROK and U.S. units attempting to take Koksan and Wonson....but the U.S. numbers were small, having been greatly worn down / lost due to early commitment against North Vietnam! We let the North fight for Seoul and adjacent cities - a month on so into the fighting, Soviet Union declared war against South and streamed Asiatic units across the Eastern side of the peninsula - heading south toward Taegu and Pohang, and a spearhead moving westward with the objective of taking Pyong-taek. Our objective then became to conquer South Korea...letting the North have Seoul and immediate area around it.

Thus, early choices can have a great impact on one's near-term course of events and capabilities.
Last edited by geminif4ucorsair on Feb 05 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Ah, thanks for all your detailed replies Gemini!

Have passed out of my excessive playing stage (start of a new semester and various other RL stuff), but I have my latest USSR game up to just after start of Korean War.

This most recent time I have played _very_ slowly. Probably 20 or 30 hours of play just for that first year or so of game time. But I'm happy with how I've got the USSR off and running: a nice balance between teching at a decent pace; military buildup; infrastructure buildup; foreign aid. I've managed to swing Yugo; Iraq, Syria all firmly into Red sphere and alliance, but it hasn't been cheap.

I've been watching the "The Cold War Series" on Youtube which I had never seen before. Really quite remarkable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aIRMcyS ... 3E7FE6342C

The number of famous figures they interview during this series is quite remarkable.

I almost get the impression that, with nearly a whole generation having passed since the breakup of the Soviet Union, and many Cold War documents becoming declassified we are entering a sort of early Gold Era of Cold War historiography.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: comments on...Playing as USSR

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Anthropoid wrote:
I would imagine that fighting against either Laos or S. Korea in either of those two wars will spoil my relations with the West and if I combine that with the proper amount of espionage in the right places, maybe I can provoke them to declare war on me.
More COMMENT. In SR-CW, South Korea early in the post-June 50 period does not have an alliance with the U.S., and if the war is ready on between North (DPRK) and South (ROK), one can become involved for benefit of the USSR. In the long-term, it is useful.

ROK if it survives can become VERY powerful - when run by the AI - where it gets a lot of U.S. help. An older game played under Update 2 changes, found the ROK actually invading the USSR, en-route to Vladivostok and then north upward toward Nakhodka
(and beyond). They had M4E8 Sherman, M24 light and some M26 heavy tanks, plenty of Motorized and Half-Track Infantry. Scary.

Fighting in Laos or elsewhere in SE Asia is a waste of treasure and units. The rewards are just not there. Spend the money on improving your domestic communications (build railroads), tech Super Highways, expand domestic fabrication in Industry, Military and Power Plants, with lesser emphasis on Commercial Goods factories.

MILITARY. Close down half the Naval Fabrication facilities - there are too few of the correct, modern naval units in the game -
to build too much naval stuff this early-on. Recommend Tech research of LST-type (Russian "Tapir Alligator" is just fine) and expand number of smaller combatant craft (Shershen torpedo boat and some ASW Patrol Craft, will suffice). BattleGoat dumped most of the historical craft and you need some to replace what the Western navies will build in terms of corvettes and submarines - if only to protect your coastal waters from a seaborne invasion).

DIPLOMATIC. Focus on regions that are on YOUR borders....or that may be used by Western countries as stepping stones to invade.
In addition, put an effort into regions that can be "thorns" in the side of key Western countries (US, UK, France in particular).

Translated: Mexico and Cuba, lesser emphasis on a couple South American countries (personally, I like Argentina and Venezuela - both of which under a High Volatility setting - are likely to end up in war with Brazil...therefore, good outlet for selling them resources, military designs, Tech's, and units in the long-run - and they both have money!).

Also, Ireland (lacks money but can make a mess of UK plans if made a sufficient threat to force UK to keep extensive forces in Northern Ireland and Scotland, or generally "at Home".

Middle East: consider heavy trade and aid to at least one region in this area...all will be tough to "convert" to USSR allegiance but worth the effort. Historically, Israel should attack one or more of them not later than '56 but not seen it happen. Usually I try and win ally status of Saudi Arabia (which does not have the Petrol or monies of modern day Saudi's...) and Egypt. Syria seems unusually hard to get as ally (maybe its just my not supporting enough)....if Israel does attack anyone, give the other guys all the support you can...like South Korea (ROK), they can become powerful and the 800-lb Gorilla in the region (and uncooperative with USSR in coming decades).

Other "target" areas are mostly those nearest USSR - Yugoslavia, Austria, Finland, China (PRC).

China starts out allied, keep it that way, by constant trade in Petroleum and other goods USSR already has surplus of, but limit the amount of Petrol trade and keep Military Design trade to older designs (BA-20, BA-11 A/C, T-34/76 Mod 1943, and if he reaches a point of having aircraft fabrication, older prop designs). Its useful to court Beijing, but it can turn on you in later years.

Austria was neutral but you can gain the upper hand if you trade with them extensively, as U.S. forces have withdrawn from Austria - historically, some U.S. units were in the western area and some Soviet units in the far eastern section still in '49 - but ignored by BG.

Yugoslavia...Marshal Tito's purges of his own liberation forces in post-WW 2 leaves him the one-person ruler. Yugo's can but and trade and generally welcome some older military equipment, though it will not derive more than 50% of cost benefit because Yugo's are not an ally early-on. They want Western support and it was given...so you need to counter with daily trading and hope eventually to turn them into a Warsaw Pact ally.

Finland, this should be obvious. Even with High Volatility setting, not likely Finland will grant Transit rights to West even if latter is at war with USSR, but you don't want a war with them. So, sell them the Petrol they need and buy the Consumer Goods and Agriculture you are likely to need well into the game.

My two-cents and how I play the game.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”