Playing as USSR

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: methodical pace...Playing as USSR

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Anthropoid wrote:Ah, thanks for all your detailed replies Gemini!
Have passed out of my excessive playing stage (start of a new semester and various other RL stuff), but I have my latest USSR game up to just after start of Korean War.

This most recent time I have played _very_ slowly. Probably 20 or 30 hours of play just for that first year or so of game time. But I'm happy with how I've got the USSR off and running: a nice balance between teching at a decent pace; military buildup; infrastructure buildup; foreign aid. I've managed to swing Yugo; Iraq, Syria all firmly into Red sphere and alliance, but it hasn't been cheap.

I've been watching the "The Cold War Series" on Youtube which I had never seen before. Really quite remarkable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aIRMcyS ... 3E7FE6342C
The number of famous figures they interview during this series is quite remarkable.

I almost get the impression that, with nearly a whole generation having passed since the breakup of the Soviet Union, and many Cold War documents becoming declassified we are entering a sort of early Gold Era of Cold War historiography.
Playing the USSR requires time and some long-term strategies, as well as short-term objectives.
Getting Yugoslavia and a couple Mid-East counties political influence in the Red sphere is the right approach...some comments on this follow an earlier post regard Laos & ROK.

BG did get several CIA declass doc's on the late-40s/early-50s period but unknown how they used their analysis of the situations in these regions to frame SR-CW regional actions. It was a fascinating period, far more than most folks realize. Even in the earliest periods of the post-WW 2 years, until the KW was ended.

Take a look at Update 3 and see how it has changed - if any - with regard to the types of Units you can build....naval and air in particular. In addition, playing under U3 offers some return of previously "eliminated" Soviet ground units (as it does for China).
Might help you keep hold of the Asiatic (Maritime Province) regions if you end up in a war with U.S. or France....they love to load up Merchant Ships and bring the war to your shores! [How they get so many Merchant Ships with units always amazes me |O ]

Good luck and there is a troupe of players here willing to answer questions and offer guidance! :-)
Anthropoid
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Playing as USSR

Post by Anthropoid »

I'm curious why Kaliningrad was decided to be represented as a colony of Russia and not simply an annexed region?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaliningrad_Oblast
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Honestly, most of the Soviet Republics I mod to be absorbed into the USSR. Realistically, they weren't independent. Game-play wise, by doing that the USSR AI is a bit more aggressive to neighbors that they are adjacent to.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Well, for Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine, Belarus, nearly all the rest I can think of which are represented as colonies in game, it does make a certain sense for them to be represented that way. After all, when the Soviet Union collapsed, all of those oblasts or whatever they were considered to be within the USSR _did_ eventually gain their independence.

I had never realized it before this evening, but for whatever reason I was Wiki surfing and came to the realization that Kaliningradskaya is still _to this very day_ an oblast within the Russian Federation! :o

Indeed, based on wiki Kaliningradskaya remains a rather strategically important part of Russia in that it is the home base for their Baltic fleet (ports not subject to hard freeze) and is also one of the most economically prosperous territories.

To me, this is fascinating in and of itself; but with respect to SRCW it suggests to me that, that particular 'colony' really should be represented distinctively from the others. It should be represented as a exclave portion of Russia, not as a colony of the USSR.
GenPatton43
Warrant Officer

Post by GenPatton43 »

Anthropoid wrote:Until the possible "Blue Always Win" bug gets pinned down and/or fixed for sure, I'm holding off on playing as U.S. and minor powers. If I play USSR, and act friendly enough, on Normal diplo I know I can even grow my red sphere, even if there is some sort of 'bug' causing blue sphere to grow disproportionately.

I've started and restarted as USSR a few times now and find their strengths and weaknesses very intriguing and would really like to play all the way to 'end game.' I feel like I now have a sufficient handle on their OOB, economic and industrial situation, techs and diplomacy to play and have developed some general strategic principles (which I'll list below).

Last night I started up a new game with the settings that I've come to realize are most suited for my interests: Hard Milit; Normal econ and diplo; High random events; enhanced spotting and range off; Sphere victory (this seems to me to be the most realistic in that, it should hypothetically be feasible to 'win' without ever actually declaring war on anyone and simply growing your sphere through 'philanthropy' and diplomacy; pretty much everything else default.

My question to anyone who has also played as USSR is:

What do you do with all those UNITS!?
First off, my apologies as "I'm a little late for the party." Having said that, I came across your post after trying to dig up a little info on the IS-6 tank. I haven't played SRCW as the USSR, normally I'm the US. But I can tell you how I'd play them which wouldn't be all that different from how I play the US. First, I'm kind of a stickler for authenticity when it comes to the military. Generally, the first step I do is activate all of my reserve units usually with the exception of straight leg infantry units which I'll either sell or deactivate for no other purpose than to make my next step go quicker. Anything really old, like the base M4 Sherman, I will just sell. Once done, I'll pick 2 barracks, usually Ft. Bragg on the East Coast and Las Vegas or Ft. Irwin on the West. After activation, I will just take the cursor and highlight every unit by branch and divide it roughly in half of the country. All the units to from Camp Bowie to the east I will select and have them all travel to Ft. Bragg and upon arrivial, go back into the reserves. Than I do the same for the West Coast, So now, I have all of my forces at two bases. Again, I'm anal about authenticity, so from there, I will start creating divisional sized units that generally coincide with the US Army & Marines TO&E. So, once I've selected the units I need, I'll starting naming (w/Battle groups addon)them and sending them to their respective bases. e.g. 1st Cavalry Division goes into the reserves at Ft. Hood. 24th Infantry Division goes to Ft. Benning. 2nd Marine Division goes to Camp Lejeune and so on. Usually, the 82nd and 101st are the last to be created since I don't have any decent transports or choppers to carry them in, plus there is no air droppable artillery or armor until later like the 105mm howitzer and T92 & M56 Tank Destroyers. From there, I take stock of everything on a unit by unit basis and start either creating new units to "Round out" the divisions or to replace obsolete eqt. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but its a lot better that with the original SRGC 2020 game as there are a lot less slow moving leg units. By January everyone's back in the reserves at their new bases. I usually gut my navy pretty hard. 60+ aircraft carriers? Yeah, not really a need for that many. But I will do the same and create my own Carrier Battle Groups or Surface Action Groups and send them to their bases. The air force, I don't go into detail by naming air wings or squadrons. But I will gut them pretty hard also, especially carrier wings and start modernizing. No one is going to attack you that early in the game and its long done by the time Korea rolls around. Finally go through and see what bases I don't want to keep and get rid of them to save on costs. (Unless they are the only one in a particular part of the country.) The last step i do is save it all to two folders. One for the campaign I'm playing now and the other will be a "start up" save so that if sometime down the line I decide to restart the game, I don't have to go through creating everything again. Its there.
In SRGC 2020, I have played as Russia and do pretty much the same thing except I'll choose 4-6 bases to initially send my units into the reserves to. (It'll take a year for a T-80 to travel to Moscow.LoL)
I start the same process except I'm usually just making up names for divisions. They're generally close to reality like the "1st Guards Tank Division" so I'm content with that. it would be that much different at all in SRCW. Even units in East Germany would come back to the USSR for a short time. NATO won't attack. Also, for both militarily's, I'll kind of use a blend of new and old TO&E to equip them all. THAN, the game begins in earnest.
As for your mention of the MiG-15 and Yak-23, they have the same issue with being undervalued in stats like the F-86 does for the US. It sucks. (No idea if anyone has created a mod that fixes this issue. If so, point me in the right direction. Please!)
I'm glad I read your post about the West always winning bug. Had no idea one existed. But, I will handicap myself a little as the game goes on. For example, I'll buy the technology for the T-54, BTR-40, MiG-15 and IL-28 and manufacture them myself after which i'll sell them cheap to North Vietnam, Egypt, Syria and China. ( Don't do this too often or they'll actually start becoming "buddy buddy" with you.) I'll build them and than let them sit in my reserves until they reach a decent quantity. Then, i will sell them. Just to add more balance. Plus I just can't accept the French winning in Vietnam. Drives me crazy. :x :lol:
Than, let the fun begin!
So, yeah, I know I prolly sound a little nuts but its really not all that hard and once you've get everything set and than save that 2nd startup file, you don't have to worry about it again.
Sorry for the book I just wrote. Hope it helps!
GenPatton43
Warrant Officer

Post by GenPatton43 »

One important thing to keep in mind before sending your units back into the reserves, make sure you kill their initiative until you have things set as you want them. I usually have 100% control over my military so the initiative is always turned off for me.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

GenPatton43

Boy! You are worse than me! :D

(See Goats you have two confirmed user of the BattleGroup addon mod)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
GenPatton43
Warrant Officer

Post by GenPatton43 »

Draken wrote:GenPatton43

Boy! You are worse than me! :D
You have no idea. @_@ LoL I bring home everyone from Europe also. Reorganize them into the heavy divisions that spent much of the Cold War there. I'll do a few brigade size units also, like the 173rd Airborne, 11th Armored Cav Reg etc.
With no intention of offending any of SRGC or SRCW's creators, the "Hearts of Iron" series kinda instilled a lot of this in me, so I'll lay the blame at their feet. As does being, for lack of another word, being a "Fan" of the "Cold War" era in general.
GenPatton43
Warrant Officer

Post by GenPatton43 »

If I had even the slightest clue as to how and create a mod for this, I would do one just for the units. But I normally play the Arma series if I play at all w/ that little nuisance of a thing called "Real Life" taking up much of my time. I'll play this for a couple of months just for a break of sorts.

Oh yea, almost forgot.

Not quite sure what that means really. Just that I use that mod? If ya's need a link or something for it, i can post it. Same with the "Modern World" mod also although I haven't actually tried it yet.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

GenPatton43 wrote: Oh yea, almost forgot.

Not quite sure what that means really. Just that I use that mod? If ya's need a link or something for it, i can post it. Same with the "Modern World" mod also although I haven't actually tried it yet.
Sometime ago, Balthagor was complaining that nobody was using that mod and I found out about that mod because of that complain...He somehow was expecting me to use it (I've been a supporter of unit hierarchy since sr201 and was very vocal about losing the ability to rename BGs on SRCW....) but I totally missed his post releasing it...

I know that some of us are using it... It was just an attempt to a joke... :D
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
GenPatton43
Warrant Officer

Post by GenPatton43 »

Draken wrote:
GenPatton43 wrote: Oh yea, almost forgot.

Sometime ago, Balthagor was complaining that nobody was using that mod and I found out about that mod because of that complain...He somehow was expecting me to use it (I've been a supporter of unit hierarchy since sr201 and was very vocal about losing the ability to rename BGs on SRCW....) but I totally missed his post releasing it...

I know that some of us are using it... It was just an attempt to a joke... :D
Ah, gotcha. Personally, its almost a must have for me. Simple. Yet important.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”