Facilities expenses

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

mattpilot
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Facilities expenses

Post by mattpilot »

number47 wrote:
mattpilot wrote:hmm....

fistalis -> I'm contemplating modifying the UNIT file to increase the personnel required. What i gather from the WIKI is i need to rebuild the Cache then. I can do that with the files that i have, right? Or is there something special about the cache in your download?
If you are talking about his port of SR2020 scenarios to SRCW, than yes, you have all the files needed to successfully create a new cache file. If you are talking about his Wodern World mod, than no, you don't have all the files needed to successfully create a new cache file. :D

thanks for the info.

Small Problemo ->

I created cache file just fine, but the facility costs are 4x as high as in the cache that fistalis has in his download.

Its so depressing :( ..... What can i do fix this?

Summary:
Playing Fistalis' shattered world mod, BUT i modified the UNIT file and rebuilt a new cache.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

mattpilot wrote:
number47 wrote:
mattpilot wrote:hmm....

fistalis -> I'm contemplating modifying the UNIT file to increase the personnel required. What i gather from the WIKI is i need to rebuild the Cache then. I can do that with the files that i have, right? Or is there something special about the cache in your download?
If you are talking about his port of SR2020 scenarios to SRCW, than yes, you have all the files needed to successfully create a new cache file. If you are talking about his Wodern World mod, than no, you don't have all the files needed to successfully create a new cache file. :D

thanks for the info.

Small Problemo ->

I created cache file just fine, but the facility costs are 4x as high as in the cache that fistalis has in his download.

Its so depressing :( ..... What can i do fix this?

Summary:
Playing Fistalis' shattered world mod, BUT i modified the UNIT file and rebuilt a new cache.
Use the WMdata file thats in the GC folder rather than the one in the SW folder. One is fixed other one isn't
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

You sir, are awesome.

thanks! All's fine and dandy now
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

I dont care much for starting new threads, so i'll just add it here, as its remotely on subject :-)

Let me see if i got this right about the economy:

GDP/c raises IF i meet the consumer goods demand of the people (incl. some of the other goods ppl demand). If i dont meet them, GDP/c goes down.

Tested it, verified it, works as described. Got it.

So... the COST OF PRODUCTION goes up as GDP/c increases. Makes sense, labor costs more. The cost of production of goods is also affected by how much the input goods cost. Logical. As GDP rises, all costs go up. At some point, GDP is so high, because you keep on meeting the demands of your people, that you can no longer produce goods below marketrate.

So i've been thinking how i could reduce the cost of input goods. I tried to improve the efficiency of my facilities by building/relocating them in the highest supply zones i could, and i think that did help a bit with the price, but not much. It seems labor cost is the biggest factor. SO... I can either A) Import or B), if import not available produce just enough that i need to sell to my people/fill demand.

So as long as i dont produce more "expensive" goods than what my people can buy, my economy 'floats'. If i produce more and sell at market rate, i'm taking a 'hit' for no logical reason. So i try not to do that (micromanagement hell).

Ok.. so its a fact of life that GDP/c increases and my people get richer and richer. Yayy for them. But that makes them unviable to produce export goods. So how else can i make money? I tax them to hell and back, of course. Doesn't make me much money, but i guess better than nothing. Infact, i'm not convinced raising taxes gives me 'net' more money, as now they buy less of my overpriced goods. hmm...

Typically, in the real world *yawn*, richer nations move from a production nation to a 'service nation'. But thats not modelled... and thats ok.

But i'm wondering...... what is the best way to make money if your people get filthy rich? I read somewhere on the forum that his strategy was to export consumer goods. Well my question is, how the hell do you produce them at below market rate with such high labor costs??
number47
General

Post by number47 »

mattpilot wrote:I read somewhere on the forum that his strategy was to export consumer goods. Well my question is, how the hell do you produce them at below market rate with such high labor costs??
Keep in mind when reading other threads that most of the things discussed and suggestions given concern vanilla game that has really low gdp/c levels and you are (I presume) still refering to Fistalis's mods. :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

well.. the principles of the game engine should be the same, regardless of which mod or adjsuted gdp. ... assuming the game engine ain't flawed :lol: 8) :roll:

So anyway ... high gdp - how do you make money? Is creating a self contained economy and hermiting the only option?
number47
General

Post by number47 »

mattpilot wrote:well.. the principles of the game engine should be the same, regardless of which mod or adjsuted gdp. ... assuming the game engine ain't flawed :lol: 8) :roll:
I wouldn't say flawed but high gpd/c require more tweeking/adjusting in other departments since formulas originally created were expected to work with low gdp/c.
It was Fistalis's intention that high gdp/c countries "can't profit" (take the term loosely) from consumer goods so he tweeked it that way. :wink:

mattpilot wrote: So anyway ... high gdp - how do you make money? Is creating a self contained economy and hermiting the only option
?
Oil, oil, oil, oil, duh :roll: (where have you been for the last 20 or so years? :D )
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

well i am one of the leading producers of oil.. but my cost is 250 to 220 marketprice.

I make money via diplo trading ... but it just feels so gamey.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

mattpilot wrote:well i am one of the leading producers of oil.. but my cost is 250 to 220 marketprice.

Holy s***! never seen production cost to go over market cost for oil...maybe Fistalis still hasn't tweeked that mod properly? But than again, he never did give much attention to SR2020 port mods since he was quite occupied with his own Modern world mod :lol:
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:
mattpilot wrote:well i am one of the leading producers of oil.. but my cost is 250 to 220 marketprice.

Holy s***! never seen production cost to go over market cost for oil...maybe Fistalis still hasn't tweeked that mod properly? But than again, he never did give much attention to SR2020 port mods since he was quite occupied with his own Modern world mod :lol:
Not hard to do if you're reliant on synth rather than crude.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

but i got only oil wells.. ;-)

anyway.... to summarize - everything is working "as intended" (if not optimal) and i just need to deal with it *(insert guy with sunglasses)*

sound about right?

re: number47 -> now now.. we cant' give fistalis any fault in this. Its not his job to code a proper economic system for a sandbox game :-)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We were aware that changes to the economic model to strengthen the cold war economy had impacts on modern day simulation but cold war is the area in this title and we did work with Fistalis to minimize the impact.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

mattpilot wrote: re: number47 -> now now.. we cant' give fistalis any fault in this. Its not his job to code a proper economic system for a sandbox game :-)
Well, vanilla sandbox (SRCW) plays well as you'll never reach 30.000 or 50.000 gdp/c where you might see some problems...
Anyway, I was refering to Fistalis's own words on SR2020 scenario pack:
Conclusion: This mod is 95% the work of BG.. I simply took the time to convert them. Updates will be minimal, only to maintain compatibility with future updates to SRCW, or fix any major Errors in the conversion.
:wink:

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”