Best nuclear device to make or use

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

scutshake
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Best nuclear device to make or use

Post by scutshake »

Basically what is it and what type i.e land,air,sub etc ? there are alot of nukes but i don't know whats the best

Im playing on modern day mod so i dunno if that increases the amount
game24845
Corporal

Re: Best nuclear device to make or use

Post by game24845 »

One thing i have learned about SupRu is that nukes suck. I mean, they suck hard. I would just advance tech in Tanks and Infantry and go from there. But hey, unless there is a nuke that actually dose what a nuke should do.(i.e Kill things.)
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

Nukes are made to destroy above all and all can destroy an hex so any will do. The only concern is about range.
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
scutshake
Lieutenant

Post by scutshake »

mmm ive been using some scuds and plutons or what ever there called and they just screw up citys but they ruin ure relattionship with people and they get random caus belli's on you
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Well, yeah. If you start tossing nukes, no one likes you. :)

I recommend either ICBMs or stand-off (cruise) missiles. Fly the bombers in, launch out of alert range of fighters.

Only target military construction facilities--once they are gone, your opponent is doomed (the AI doesnt rebuild them).

Follow up with paratroops to seize a port and start landing troops.
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

The best nukes are ICBMs which are high altitude/indirect attack, as they will not be shot down by air defenses. This generally means silo- or truck-launched nukes for the two superpowers, or sub-launched (SLBMs) for most other countries. Most air-launch nukes can be shot down by advanced AA units, which makes using them to destroy single targets chancy, these weapons are best used in saturation attacks.

If you are a new player, it is important to note that, while you can build silos, you can't actually use them without the Big Red Button, which only the US and USSR get.
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

If you set nuke penalties at high, the world will war you after the first nuke launched. At low, you can nuke Moscow or Washington and nobody cares.
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

I believe the best US nuke for power is the Titan ICBM, and the Soviets best one simply on power is the SS-18, though they do have a mobile one that comes in a close second.

For Air launched bombs, the US has a early cruise missile with limited range, but similar power to a ICBM, which makes them an effective combo when loaded onto B-52's. The Soviets don't really have anything outstanding in the air launched catagory untill some of the later techs, and they aren't close to the power of the US weapons.

The problem is that nuke power and damage seems rather odd, as multi megaton weapons and tactical weapons have a similar damage. I was hoping to get around to modding the units and fixing it all while adding more nuke weapons, but I never got around to it. I think I determined something like 10-20 Megatons was in the range to completely wipe a city that would be about the size of a hex, so the damage would have to be enough that 1-3 would be enough to destory the hex. The other issue is that nukes are relagated to their damage in on hex, which makes ultra large bombs like the Tzar bomb useless in game.
scutshake
Lieutenant

Post by scutshake »

It does annoy me that big nukes can't destroy cities properly i launched 5 nukes at a kuwait city and it just made it go really really low and there are different kinds of nukes to weather there personel designed nukes or buildings

If Anyone could list the best nukes for the types i.e

Personnel designed nukes i.e for infantry,tanks etc

and the best for buildings like citys or other items like supplys.

And the best overalll nuke that does similar damage to both
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

scutshake wrote:...i launched 5 nukes at a kuwait city and it just made it go really really low...
I would challenge that destroying all the foundations of all the buildings in a city should be extremely difficult, even with nukes. A hex is 16x16km, that is a lot of area even for a nuke.

http://www.carloslabs.com/node/20
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
scutshake
Lieutenant

Post by scutshake »

Mm ok so what would i need like 100 nukes ?
oaia
Sergeant

Post by oaia »

The main reason is preception. People think of nukes as superweapons when used in a single one. In reality, there is a very good reason that cold war powers had tenth of thousands nukes.

If you deploy nukes in that amout(or at least a few hundreds), they suddenly do not suck, at all.
TheCyab6a
Lt. Colonel

Post by TheCyab6a »

the way i use nukes i think its the best way in my mind anyway if playing as one of the sphere leaders i will build 10kt bombs for the strat pool because they teke up less resources to build and it only takes 1 to take out a base thats all i care about r eleminating the bases but i do build a few 100kt bombs to be used on my direction in the field.then when i research the bigger better ICBMs i will use those because they ave longer range more destructive power and are less likely to be shot down
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I think part of what is the issue is player perception. As noted above, the US and USSR literally had tens of thousands of nukes, from battlefield tac nukes to strategic city-busters.

I think players (to include me) build substantially few nukes than historically; I prefer shifting production to anti-ship missles, air launched bombs, et al, over building thousands of nukes. Not to say I don't have the Wyoming missile complexes and a bunch of SSBNs, but I tend to treat their use as more of the "up yours" response to the USSR for being upset that American tanks have overrun Kiev. :)
IceCold
Lieutenant

Post by IceCold »

They did have 10s of thousands of Nukes yes, but they were also all aimed at different parts of the world. 1 or 2 nukes per city should be more then enough to kill off just about anything there, whether it's the blast it self or the Radiation afterwards.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”