Very disapointed

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

goulash
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Re: Very disapointed

Post by goulash »

Balthagor wrote:We always have demos for our games and we welcome well informed customers.

And we work hard to earn a living and hope we're successful at what we do. I can't imagine anyone thinks we would purposefully do something to hurt our chances or damage our products.
:roll: I dont think you would Purposefully but answer this question so I can maybe better understand = Why such a long wait between update 2 and update 3 when people were reporting issues so long ago ???

In relation to steam users whom can’t seem to try the latest beta patches, I am sure they are pretty gutted |O .

In relation to those of us whom can use the beta patches = well this obviously stems the flow of complaints because we are seeing things being done and can fiddle with the latest versions even though we know they are just beta patches :-) .

I think this game is a little gem but now and again, I just can’t hold in my opinions and frustrations relating to fix timescales :evil: . This last couple of months have been a massive improvement as far as I am concerned due to beta patches and if this was to become precedent then I am sure I would buy the next BG game at release. What I will not do however, is buy a new BG game at released and expect to wait nearly a year between patches. Trying demos is one thing but if I recall correctly, the demo for this game is usually released at same time as full version!

I am sensible :o and can draw the line between game breaking and tolerable exploits/bugs and there always comes a time when we as users have to sit back and say we got our money’s worth and to expect anything more from the devs would be unreasonable ( barring the cheeky consumers :D ).

Combat Mission Battle for Normandy will be charging a small fee for a patch to their game as it will be bring the game up to the level of a new version of the same engine (fortress Italy). You won’t see any ranting from the community relating to paying for a patch because they know it makes an already good game better. If BG can't afford to offer same patch development time due to them being a small company, maybe it would be better to offer a paid patch as the engine is improved. That is of course once you first sorted out the key issues that class the game as broken / bugged to the majority of players.

What I am saying in short is that should 1.3 sort out the major issues, I would personally see nothing wrong with BG suggesting that 1.4 may come at a small fee. I am guessing the majority of players here are somewhat mature and could also see little wrong with this. [_]O

Anyway, enough of this hypothetical pontificating and et on with 1.3 (whip, whoosh whoosh whip) [_]OT
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

goulash wrote:...Why such a long wait between update 2 and update 3...
Now you're getting into discussing Battlegoat business practices which is above my pay grade and not something we discuss on a public forum. But again, if we could have done it sooner, why wouldn't we have done so? If it took this long to make the update there were reasons. Business as well as development reasons.

But this thread with a very negative title is going on and on. I'm done in this thread unless the OP has further questions.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mc_Something
Lieutenant

Post by Mc_Something »

simply let this thread disappear. i think there are many other threads which belongs the same topic, but less negative.
Tremere
Lieutenant

Post by Tremere »

Better we'll thank developers for hard job!

And i hope we will have small patch every month! :-)

And in case of financial problems we can donate some money to BG.
I think there are a lot of fans who wants to support developers.
Third World War will begins soon....
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Balthagor wrote: But again, if we could have done it sooner, why wouldn't we have done so? If it took this long to make the update there were reasons. Business as well as development reasons.
I'm a Steam user who also wishes he could use the pre-update patches on offer, but I cant. So I'm hoping that the time used not working on the patch, was better used on making new engine development for the next game. 8)

Hopefully normal map and real lighting integration with animations would be nice...
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

WuOne wrote:
number47 wrote:
Antiscamp wrote:WuOne: The Modern Day scenario is part of a mod. You should get in contact with the mod creator instead. I also noticed the lack of oil for Norway and I hope he updates the mod to reflect that.
It is currently still impossible to mod the map in the way that he is suggesting (resources and visible roads)...
Exactly :-?
Well the modern world mod uses a Creative work around.. and Norway actually starts with almost exactly the oil production from the north sea they actually have. (actually slightly above considering I was going by estimates for this year and Norway as fallen below the estimates for production this year)

Now if you are referring to Hullus mod for 2020.. oil spots are prebuilt and owned by nations in the north sea.. so i'm not getting what the issue is unless you are talking about in the vanilla game. In which case yes.. as you progress norway will never get access to the north sea oil it has.

As to the OP and various topics.
Steam requires BG to spend more time to get betas to work with it.. seeing as the update itself isn't done I would much prefer that time spent on finishing it rather than trying to make betas work with steam.

As to the length of the update. Personally I would prefer to be forced to wait a month or 2 more rather than get a shoddy update that breaks half the game. One doesn't have to look very far in the industry in which patches are released half arsed, break more stuff than they fix or simply don't address the real issues of a game. Of course not everyone shares this opinion.. which is why companies like Turbine can continue to pump out updates that makes their known issue list GROW rather than shrink. Further more I know that BG will actually deliver the patches/updates. Unlike some companies who stop supporting games rather quickly.. or even go out of business while their game is unpatched.

Anyway thats my 2 cents.. any other questions or commentary on my mods you can post either in the mod section here or my forums in the appropriate section.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Onthebeach
Lieutenant

Post by Onthebeach »

If anyone here is disappointed with BG's approach they had better not buy 2K Games' XCOM Enemy Unknown.

THAT game has had a huge number of people waiting on its publication last week, far more than would be playing SRCW, and the game appears badly broken right from the start if the complaints are anything to go by.
I can't even get it to install, some conflict with Steam that I am waiting to get sorted out. WHY are game companies getting involved with this STEAM thing? I can't see the sense of it.

And the first patch for the game is allegedly going to be two GIGABYTES.

So, yes, I know SRCW has had problems but at least the BG guys are really trying to fix them, and remember this is a seriously complicated game with so much going on under the bonnet which we don't see. AND, when it all works it will be a game to play for a LONG time.

It may not be "the last game you will ever need" (10 points to whoever remembers who said that, and what game they were referring to) but it will be a keeper.
Kim in Australia
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I am also very frustrated by inability to buy military hardware in the game. And they just keep telling me: "not in this update3". Taking into consideration that this update 3 is unreachable and so far away, I'll probably die before it comes out. So knowing that I'm gonna be dead for a long time when update 4 comes out (with new unit trade system) it is obvious that I'm the most frustrated person here.
So show some compassion because there is no hope for me... |O
Please teach AI everything!
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Zuikaku wrote:I am also very frustrated by inability to buy military hardware in the game. And they just keep telling me: "not in this update3". Taking into consideration that this update 3 is unreachable and so far away, I'll probably die before it comes out. So knowing that I'm gonna be dead for a long time when update 4 comes out (with new unit trade system) it is obvious that I'm the most frustrated person here.
So show some compassion because there is no hope for me... |O
I don't remember Balthagor ever saying it will be in Update4...just that they might consider it for a future update. :lol: :P
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
provolone
Warrant Officer

Post by provolone »

I did not find anything wrong with the style or tone of the OP's critique. Several others have said essentially the same thing. Having feedback and patient customers seems like a plus to me. How can that be negative? The vast majority of users just overlook bugs and continue on without complaint. The developer benefits more from the feedback.

The fact is the game is playable, but perpetually broken. We all know the problems are there. From what I have read some of the bugs are unaddressed from the previous SR2020. If addressing bugs means changing strategies or opening up more game logic to modders, maybe that should be discussed. Dismissing critiques as too negative does not resolve anything.

There is no other current title to compare SRCW against. Because this gaming niche is rare, I feel the product was worth what I paid for it. BG can count me as ready for the next expansion or sequel. Despite the shortcomings, I have sourced hours of entertainment from SRCW. The patch process is fine with me and I hope more are released as minor fixes become available.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

May I say one thing?

I'm playing the current beta 2 of update 3.

I've conquered half the world with India, my armed forces are around 12 Million. I've just been attacked by the forces of the US and A and some other nations
committing a united sneak attack against me. 11.000 of my units (4 million troops) are engaged in battles versus (4 million of my enemies)
every single ocean piece is used by my transporters to fight off the attack by the US and A. (I love borat)

the game runs on normal speed on my old Q8400, old graphics and 16gigs of RAM.
I can run the game much faster on my modern i3770k, 580gtx, 64gigs RAM and 48TB HDD with 3 SSD's working in raid for giga performance..
on that system I can even run the game in highest speed where it's impossible to play because it's too fast.

Stacking bug has been taken care of splendidly!
crashes: I had 1, where I had my heater accidentally aimed at my PC and it shut down because of the temp. That's the only issue I had
while playing latest update.

1 big side-note: every time you select a unit, it automatically goes to the "DEFENSE DEPLOYMENT" panel.. once I get in there, the GUI gets very slow..
I think that's because of the ten thousand of land units listed there.. the hundreds ships and airplanes don't lag the GUI that much..

so, that's the only thing that should go in update 3 beta 3.. don't update that screen real-time once more then 1 thousand of units are listed..
or split it up into categories, which are collapsed by default..

apart from that, no need to complain, if you used the illegal company called "steam" who stated many times in correspondence with me they do
not comply with European laws (meaning you have absolutely no rights at all!!).. that's your mistake. I've made that mistake once myself..
so, just stay away from this criminal company!

gamersgate is THE alternative and fully comply with EU laws (=you as customer have all the rights and the company must proof you're wrong) unlike
steam which states you as customer are always wrong and you must lawfully proof you're right. which in the age of digital media is almost impossible.
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

i am not disappointed. If BG did a navour i would be disappointed. Me i am just waiting in the wings for the update 3 to clear beta.i do not enjoy beta testing so i will wait. Not like i will die if it takes a bit longer to release the update.

Of course a ETA would be nice :roll:
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

@mrgenie - could you send me a savegame please? ticket 16869. I've not be able to reproduce it.
provolone wrote:...tone of the OP's critique... How can that be negative?
Did you read the thread title?
provolone wrote:...The fact is the game is playable, but perpetually broken. We all know the problems are there. From what I have read some of the bugs are unaddressed from the previous SR2020...
I could not disagree more with your use of the word broken. Our bug list remains way ahead of the industry curve. The only major problem identified was the game slow down and that is resolved with Update 3. And if it seems like I get a bit defensive at times, it's not like I'm going to apologize for defending our work. I'm on these forums 7 days a week and the rest of the team do just as much work as I do, just not here on the forums. And I dismissed no one, I specifically indicated I'd come back to this thread if the OP had further comments and my current response shows that, as always, I monitor all threads of discussion.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Pantufas
Corporal

Post by Pantufas »

Thank you for your time Balthagor.

I’m sad you feel the post as too negative.

I should reiterate that I do love your games, I do love supreme ruler and its series, and I do respect the fact that you are an indie company.
My post however was aimed at explaining what I feel about the cold war take on SR, and the frustration it generates in someone who really wants to have fun and spend time playing your game.

The post wasn’t about a question or a doubt, was more about the way this game portrays itself to its target, me and others, the consumers.

You will have you die-hard fans, you will have your patient and devoted players, but you will have also a ton of frustrated people, I’m one of them all in due measure.
If I may give you and your company an humble advice, and I do mean “humble”, reformulate the way you deliver patches, make them smaller but addressing the key issues (i.e gamebreaking) first and additional not so critical issues later, but do it regularly and in even spaced periods of time (never bigger than 3 months).
Please do not take the above sentence as trying to meddle in affairs that are Battlegoats business alone, but, as I said above, as a humble opinion from a costumer.

Thank you for your time,
Forgive my English as I’m not a native speaker,
Best regards.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

No need to apologize for your English, it is very good. I would not have realized it was a secondary language if you hadn't mentioned it.

And the thread isn't "too" negative, it's just that if a new player comes to the forum for the first time, seeing a thread with this title isn't a good start.

I hear your advice. I'll pass it along.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”