Update 3 Testing 2(STILL not the actual update)

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Update 3 Testing 2(STILL not the actual update)

Post by Balthagor »

probyte wrote:I can provide you the save, just run into PALMACHIN Military base and Egypt be took over by Israel
I expect they are surrendering because their entire armed forces consists of 6 combat engineer infantry. Looks like this game was started "no units".
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Norsk
Corporal

Post by Norsk »

I don't know if this was caused by update 3 or not but when ever i colonize a country a sizable chunk of their land remains in my possession. and if they had a colony that i had took some land from that colony becomes my colony but i don't return the land i took. so i end up with random chunks of land here and there. and when you colonize they lose all land they conquered and you get it. ( NK lost SK land and i inherited it. )

next, The AI gets confused when the last city of a country is on a island with no ports. (example: wete, tanganyaka) so they send every troop transport, ship, and aircraft to swim circle around the island.

last, i get a game crash that corrupts my save. so i have to go to a previous save to play again. no idea what is causing this. maybe its when it saves?

Overall the game is GREAT good work.

PS. is it just 2 people working on the game now?
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Update #2, USA, Sandbox, Units, No Diplo transport, VH vol, Complete victory

--Micronesia suddenly ceased existing in 1956. No warning, just poof. Belongs to USA now. WAD?

--Elections are now a serious issue, given the re-tweaked economy. Example: In the game (to 1956, when I lost the USA election and quit), no country had greater than 26% popular support. I had 22%, upped to 29.5% before election after putting all my $$ into social, lowering taxes, etc. The now excellent economic structure (love it!) has caused some second and third order effects that need to be tweaked as well. With less $$ and trade in the world from 7.2.2, that means less $$ for social, which means harder elections. Given that democracies tend to have peaceful elections and don't automatically become dictatorships, etc. upon losing, I suggest you either tweak the system to stop that from happening or get rid of elections entirely or make it entirely player driven (e.g., you lose an election, you get a choice of dictatorship, etc. or your bent of national focus (conservative/neutral/liberal) is changed against your will and that will then have effects on how you run your country...but still being a democratic system)

As it is now, it seems to me, that you end with a world by the 1970s that consists of communists and dictators, since democracies cannot generate enough $$ to pay for the social programs that keep them in power.
pzkpfw
Sergeant

Post by pzkpfw »

I've played for 20 years with North Vietnam. So far I noticed some strange issues:

1) Military goods price: I've a very high production price, even 3 or 4 times the market price. It’s very strange because I'm able to produce all other goods with a profit. It seems that production price and market price have been inverted. When there is a global shortage of military goods my production price skyrockets to 8-11K while the market price is around 2K. Increasing infrastructure spending reduces market price for military goods instead of the production one.. I don’t think it’s a supply issue, I've in the same hex my only 2 consumer’s plants and prices are fine.

2) India: The Chinese annexed India in less than one month. Apparently India wasn't able to fight back, when Chinese troops attacked an Indian city their garrisons where just taking casualties (lack of supplies?). After occupying New Delhi India has been annexed.. it’s really strange because I don’t use “fixed capitols” but probably the Indians lost all their battalions defending Delhi..

3) I’m still at war with the French, they offered a truce but I refused. When they liberated a colony in the pacific I’ve annexed it.. I even hadn't a navy!

4) The entire world is Communist, after ten years ¾ of the countries were aligned with the Soviets..
probyte
Lieutenant

Post by probyte »

Balthagor wrote:
probyte wrote:I can provide you the save, just run into PALMACHIN Military base and Egypt be took over by Israel
I expect they are surrendering because their entire armed forces consists of 6 combat engineer infantry. Looks like this game was started "no units".
yes, game was started with no units, however to test this, I gifted some tanks and Infantry units to Egypt, but more or less the same result.
In real Egypt will never surrender to Israel I guess and why Egypt receives no assistance from Jordan or Syria?

I recognized also that a lot of countries do not build military facilities at all. The balancing between AI countries and my is shifting during the years towards invincibility for me. hope this will be different in the final release?
Tremere
Lieutenant

Post by Tremere »

pzkpfw wrote:I've played for 20 years with North Vietnam. So far I noticed some strange issues:

1) Military goods price: I've a very high production price, even 3 or 4 times the market price. It’s very strange because I'm able to produce all other goods with a profit. It seems that production price and market price have been inverted. When there is a global shortage of military goods my production price skyrockets to 8-11K while the market price is around 2K. Increasing infrastructure spending reduces market price for military goods instead of the production one.. I don’t think it’s a supply issue, I've in the same hex my only 2 consumer’s plants and prices are fine.

2) India: The Chinese annexed India in less than one month. Apparently India wasn't able to fight back, when Chinese troops attacked an Indian city their garrisons where just taking casualties (lack of supplies?). After occupying New Delhi India has been annexed.. it’s really strange because I don’t use “fixed capitols” but probably the Indians lost all their battalions defending Delhi..

3) I’m still at war with the French, they offered a truce but I refused. When they liberated a colony in the pacific I’ve annexed it.. I even hadn't a navy!

4) The entire world is Communist, after ten years ¾ of the countries were aligned with the Soviets..
I Think we will not see final update 3 in nearest weeks... much sadly
Third World War will begins soon....
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

probyte wrote:
Balthagor wrote:
yes, game was started with no units, however to test this, I gifted some tanks and Infantry units to Egypt, but more or less the same result.
In real Egypt will never surrender to Israel I guess and why Egypt receives no assistance from Jordan or Syria?

I recognized also that a lot of countries do not build military facilities at all. The balancing between AI countries and my is shifting during the years towards invincibility for me. hope this will be different in the final release?
If you do "No Units" many smaller countries will not have the ability to build anything other than infantry and engineers, even if they have other factories. Example: No Units South Africa. You have no Air Force, but an Air Fab factory. In other words, you have to get the tech first to build airplanes...in the factory you already own that is made for building airplanes. Unless you want to just conquer the world, don't do "no units."

Also, AI countries that are short on cash will sell the arms you give them. I've watched Israel sell US arms to Egypt, who then attacked them. Countries generally unable to to support themselves (Israel, Costa Rica, etc) with a big export market will do that just to have cash.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

pzkpfw wrote:I've played for 20 years with North Vietnam. So far I noticed some strange issues:

1) Noticed the same thing. What is the volitility? When more fighting is going on, the AI needs more MGs to supply, so the demand shoots up. Low volitility means a glut.
2) I haven't seen that yet. In my games (2 so far) India tends to be one of the richest countries around.
3) Saw that too. Once France is run out of Indochina, they keep trying to retake a port city or two. Maybe an event is needed that when Laos, Cambodia and South Vietnam are gone, France makes peace automatically.
4) A lot, I think, has to do with the adjustments needed in Social spending. Democracies are very dependent upon social spending to keep people happy. With a less $$ producing global economy than in 7.2.2, there is less $$ for Social. The result is a slow drop in democracies ability to keep their people happy, so they start collapsing. Less $$ for foreign assistance, etc. means more Communists. Democracies become Dictatorships or go Communist. Sort of a Social-Political death spiral.
warhead
Captain

Post by warhead »

A couple of things Balth- biggest issue I notice now is some countries going poor and then going out of existence. Micronesia was the first one, and I see other countries such as Khazakstan(sp) are dropping and bankrupt.

I'm gonna try a game on easier economy and see how that works. Game speed is great and it will be nice to play with units at start
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

FYI, most of the balance testing we've done has been based on the "default" game settings. We've seen games into the late '80s with relatively stable economies.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Balth--both my USA games, so far, have been on VH or H volitility. Of course, more fighting leads to a different global economy than all peace, plus the DEFCON shoots to 3 pretty quickly and stays there (as soon as the US DoW's North Korea, the party starts).
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We did do some testing with higher volatility, particularly for the speed changes, but the economy balance should be geared more for normal volatility so it plays out "normally". What happens at higher volatilities can be explained as "the world gone crazy".

All that's really needed is users to let us know if commenting on a "non-default" game as you've done.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Sold units (gave them for nothing) to Libya. Deal accepted, units became Libyan but remained in my country (they never departed). We don't have any treaties, my port is operational (sold many units to other countries with no problems), Libyan port is operational...anyone seen this happen?

EDIT: scrap this, it took them a week or more but at one point they just left...maybe they were out of fuel/mil goods?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

number47 wrote:Sold units (gave them for nothing) to Libya. Deal accepted, units became Libyan but remained in my country (they never departed). We don't have any treaties, my port is operational (sold many units to other countries with no problems), Libyan port is operational...anyone seen this happen?

EDIT: scrap this, it took them a week or more but at one point they just left...maybe they were out of fuel/mil goods?
I've noticed sometimes it takes them a bit to leave. You may have hit on the answer--Libya had no Petrol, so the units couldn't move. Much worse with naval or air units. They never get there.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Aragos wrote: I've noticed sometimes it takes them a bit to leave. You may have hit on the answer--Libya had no Petrol, so the units couldn't move. Much worse with naval or air units. They never get there.
[_]O New question...bought some units from Switzerland (yeah I know |O |O |O ) so I've been wondering is there any way my new units will get out of landlocked Switzerland and come to me? (I don't have transit treaties with Switzerlands or its neighbouring countries)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”