memory question

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

an2255
Sergeant
Human: Yes

memory question

Post by an2255 »

I have ordered some new 8gb ram for my computer and last night i was looking at fallout 3 large address aware when it made me think how much memory can srcw use and will i see speed improvements in game?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: memory question

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

an2255 wrote:I have ordered some new 8gb ram for my computer and last night i was looking at fallout 3 large address aware when it made me think how much memory can srcw use and will i see speed improvements in game?
I would say that it might speed the game up slightly at best. I would say that the motherboard and especially the processor plays the most important part in your game speed.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

It all depends on where your personal bottleneck is. Mine currently is ram and Mobo. Because I'm still running DDR2, the phenom II is usually waiting on the ram. :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
forumname
Major

Post by forumname »

I have 8 gigs, (1gb on the video card)and am currently playing through a game that is experiencing 3 minute days...

I have never crossed the 40% ram threshold, nor reached 100% processor usage.....

Some issues just make the game slower (time for a day), and have nothing to do with your components.
an2255
Sergeant

Post by an2255 »

its sad this game is great but it need a improved 64 bit engine to make full use of modern gaming computers. it is annoying trying to build a 240 day unit with 3 minute days :-(
ins't cold war running the same engine as 2010 and 2020?
forumname
Major

Post by forumname »

Once I was able to locate and kill the bugged stacks (Diego Garcia, Bahrain in my current game), my days are back down to 30-45 seconds.

What to look for: Small land masses with large stacks of units from multiple countries.

The UK was the guilty party in my current game. They have many allies, and when they all try to use one hex for a staging area (through transit treaties), the result is (estimated for Diego Garcia) 300 units trying to move out of the way so 1 more can land, yet they cannot move out of the way because there is nowhere to move to.

Who knows how many times the engine attempts to calculate a path for each of these units, before finally deciding it cannot move, and moves to the next unit in line. Subsequently performing all of these calculations every day is what slows the game down (for my system, at least)

I would like to point out, that while this "stack bug" was occurring in my game, my launching massive invasions (against China for example) did not slow the game down any further...it still remained at 2.5-3 minutes.

Bottom line: Nuke the one hex areas, and the game will speed up dramatically.

Places to look:
ALL of the little islands in the Caribbean (particularly the ones that are British colonies)
Gibraltar
Diego Garcia
Qatar
Guantanamo
Hong Kong

Many people say Taiwan...but In my current game it is not an issue.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

4 gigs of ram is the maxium amount of ram a 32 bit program can use.
forumname
Major

Post by forumname »

True, but if all you have is 4 gigs, and windows wants to eat up 1.5 of it, then you only have 2.5 left for your program

When my machine is idle, windows is using 15% of 8 gigs. (1.2 gigs for the mathematically challenged)

With thousands of units in combat and moving, PLUS the destack bug, I never crossed 40% (3.2 gigs for the mathematically challenged)
problem.
3.2.-1.2= 2.0 gigs (roughly) used in the worst case scenario by this program.

All of which boils down to this..if you have a game where 7 countries each have 20-50 units on one hex (like Diego), your game day is going to slow down, and RAM is not the issue.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”