User interface and lack of information provided to player.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

zero007
Warrant Officer

User interface and lack of information provided to player.

Post by zero007 »

In my honest opinion current user interface does not provide enough usefull information to player like Supreme Ruler 2020 gold version user interface did. For example in 2020 gold player could follow resource production and world sales under Production - World Trade and Production - World Leaders. This helped a lot in multiplayer games when you had to compete in world trade againt smart human players. But now in Cold War you do not have this information and this seriously hampers the gameplay when you do not have the importand information available. There are similiar information feedbacks missing in various departments. It would be nice to have those missing features back in some future update because currently even as i am experienced player im tired to play this game because lack of information feedback. For new players this is far more worse because they dont know what to do and when to do it because there really is no information provided to them.

Here is brutal review of Cold War (In finnish) http://www.peliplaneetta.net/arvostelut ... -Cold-War/ and person who review it complains about the same things.

It would be nice to have similar transport method for airplanes and helicopters as land troops has. Currently ai and human players have difficulties to move airforces to other continents. But if airplanes and and helicopters were handled like land forces this would solve many problems. Example in USA F-111A aardwark would first fly to San Diego and there it would empark and turn it self as naval transport. After that it would move it self over the Pacific Ocean and when it arrives Japan Funabashi military base (harbour and airfield but for gameplay reasons seaport should be enough) and there it would change back to plane. Then it should fly rest of the way to korea etc. And when it has been damaged in combat and received repair order it should first fly to Japan Funabashi military base and then turn it self to naval transport and move it self over the Pacific Ocean to San Diego. After that it would go to repair it self. Note similar idea should be used for land forces when they have received enough damage in combat and received repair order and the nearest barrack is in different continent. And please make ai to use it airforce to secure area of operations and bomb the enemy to dead. Currently ai wont really use its airforces in combat even with very hard military difficulty. Human player has no difficulties to secure air space over the ao and win the war just useing airforces.
SGTscuba
General

Re: User interface and lack of information provided to playe

Post by SGTscuba »

I am working on an orders mod that will allow you to manually load planes and fly them over. I too wish the AI would use planes more often though as my airforce pwns unabated against my enemies.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: User interface and lack of information provided to playe

Post by Balthagor »

Regarding the Exports/Import/Producers/Consumers data, this has already been identified and I've already said I will look to see if I can mod that back in at the very least, but what else is missing. While I understand this is important for you, the fact that only a handful of ppl have asked for this to come back and it often generates comments of "oh, didn't notice it was gone" supports the fact that this was a minor element of the game. Features get added or removed based on sound business reasoning, not just because you or I like the feature.

When we get some of the stuff done re: updates, I'll turn more towards some modding. If there are other GUI elements missing, please join the discussion in this thread and let me know.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”