Best way to move my ground units between continents?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Anatolian
Major
Human: Yes

Best way to move my ground units between continents?

Post by Anatolian »

Im the President of the USA. I need a way to effectively (and speedily) move my ground units from my home turf to Asia pacific (Japan, SK, etc). But im trying to figure out how to pick the right ships with the greatest capacity to move multiple units.

What ships is best suited to move many units across great distances (and that doesnt take too long to build) and alternatively what ships do i have a multitude of as the USA that i can use to move units (by moving many of the ships to the destination at the same time - and how units can they hold)?
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin
geredis
Sergeant

Re: Best way to move my ground units between continents?

Post by geredis »

Honestly, unless you're moving them under wartime conditions, and planning to take a beach with them, I don't bother with built transports - the automatic sea-transport unit that a unit becomes when at a seaport (the Civilian Cargo Ship) is more often than not more than sufficient. Not the fastest thing in the world, but it's certainly not prohibitively slow if construction time is an issue.
Anatolian
Major

Post by Anatolian »

geredis wrote:Honestly, unless you're moving them under wartime conditions, and planning to take a beach with them, I don't bother with built transports - the automatic sea-transport unit that a unit becomes when at a seaport (the Civilian Cargo Ship) is more often than not more than sufficient. Not the fastest thing in the world, but it's certainly not prohibitively slow if construction time is an issue.
A unit becomes a sea-transport unit when at a seaport? So if i was to tell my unit in the US to maneouver to Japan, would it go to the nearest seaport and move itself across the sea automatically?
geredis
Sergeant

Post by geredis »

Pretty much. But again, the cargo capacity is 1 unit only per ship, supply is non-existent as I recall...oh, and they're very, very, slow.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Anatolian wrote:
geredis wrote:Honestly, unless you're moving them under wartime conditions, and planning to take a beach with them, I don't bother with built transports - the automatic sea-transport unit that a unit becomes when at a seaport (the Civilian Cargo Ship) is more often than not more than sufficient. Not the fastest thing in the world, but it's certainly not prohibitively slow if construction time is an issue.
A unit becomes a sea-transport unit when at a seaport? So if i was to tell my unit in the US to maneouver to Japan, would it go to the nearest seaport and move itself across the sea automatically?
Yes.. check the manual for the new embark feature. :wink: You can also embark them manually. But as geredis pointed out these are weak slow ships which Cannot do amphibious landings so you need a friendly port for them to land at. Its perfect for peace time repositioning, war time against stronger opponents or where you need to make an amphibious landing is the only time most people would need/want to resort to normal transports. Also worth noting is Air units cannot be shipped. you'll need some carriers or lots of air transit treaties to get those moved.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Samer
Lieutenant

Post by Samer »

I'm not a big fan of them. I still use large capacity transports for peacetime movement. Just easier to keep things organized that way. I find the merchant marines like to unload at random areas.
Anatolian
Major

Post by Anatolian »

Thank you all for your help, but i think the best method is using the transport units with big capacities.
celenbor2
Lieutenant

Post by celenbor2 »

if you play on a later era you can get(i think) the Antonov 225 Cossack (3000 tonnes capacity and 8000 km radius) or the transport heli yak-60 (1008 tonnes capacity and 1000 km radius but can land on lond deck carriers).If you are on american side best choice is C-5A Galaxy (1572 tonnes and 10410 km radius).My best choices for peace transport.

On war times you can choose to airdrop on the first wave any airdrop unit in a airport or airbase city or hex and then transport the main force.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Samer wrote:I'm not a big fan of them. I still use large capacity transports for peacetime movement. Just easier to keep things organized that way. I find the merchant marines like to unload at random areas.
Yeah, why don't they unload where we orded them to?
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

dust off wrote:
Samer wrote:I'm not a big fan of them. I still use large capacity transports for peacetime movement. Just easier to keep things organized that way. I find the merchant marines like to unload at random areas.
Yeah, why don't they unload where we orded them to?
Pathing bugs, which is why I perfer just to use regular transports. It's a pain in the ass cause I tried moving aland based ballisitic missile to Italy from Isreali and it ended up n Egypt. I hope the new patch fixes that cause MM's are by far the easyiest way of moving units. Just micro-manage them a bit.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

I have found an easy workaround. I had to invade Asia as Indonesia and was getting sick of my units going every BUT where I wanted them. I found that if you pile them all on a sea port and THEN tell them to go somewhere, they leave that port and turn into merchant marines. Once they do that, order the merchant marines to the nearest port from where you want them to go. If you give them a move order while they are in the sea, they are forced to obey.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”