More Supreme Ruler games?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Aragos
General

Re: More Supreme Ruler games?

Post by Aragos »

Anthropoid wrote:
Aragos wrote:I seriously wonder if you could mod a 1500AD game from the current system. The problem would be making "new" cities, etc. You could do it by event (e.g., 1610, a British town pops up in Virginia, etc.). Another option is to have existing towns, cities, etc. but have them controlled by native tribes (you could mod in native tribes as "countries").

Hmm....
I'm an anthropologist by trade Aragos. I played Civ 3 for many years and when Civ4 was in development, I expressed on forums that what I thought the game needed was to be able to run 'realistic' true planet sized maps with squares or hexes that were in the 25m across size range, and in which resources were represented in actual ratio-scale units, where the units were represented as battalions, etc.

Imagine my surprise when I learned of Supreme Ruler! :-)

One thought that I had, which is way, waaayy out there, was a Supreme Ruler, Civilization style 'mod.'

The settlements would be the real trick, as the AI never seems to build them and if he did, he'd probably do a crap job. However, the idea would be to extend the "unit designs" and the "tech tree" all the way back to the Neolithic! :D

If the game engine can handled fractions as unit stats, then it might even be possible to add in all the unit designs without having to retroactively re-level all the modern ones. Say for example a Late Stone Age "Warrior" might just look about like a _really_ weak militia with a Close Combat attack strength of 0.02 and defense of 0.03 and cost of "$0.1" [_]B
LOL. Yeah, I'm a military historian by trade. Funny how certain academics are attracted to these types of games :)

That is what I thought as well. Some new units (archers, light and heavy infantry, cavalry, siege engines) broken up by general eras and empires (e.g., Roman Republic/Imperial/Late Empire cohorts, Egyptian chariots, Chinese crossbowmen, etc.).

I think it would not be too hard to mod (just a lot of work). The issue comes with the SRCW bi-polar political system, that only "sort of" existed between 1948-1991. Now, if the game had the SR2020 political system, it would be a lot easier.

BTW, Fistalis started on a Roman-era mod a while back (early 2012) but I don't think he got far with it. I think the system would support it, but I think it is the spheres issue that would mess everything up.
Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Aragos wrote:I seriously wonder if you could mod a 1500AD game from the current system. The problem would be making "new" cities, etc. You could do it by event (e.g., 1610, a British town pops up in Virginia, etc.). Another option is to have existing towns, cities, etc. but have them controlled by native tribes (you could mod in native tribes as "countries").

Hmm....
I'm an anthropologist by trade Aragos. I played Civ 3 for many years and when Civ4 was in development, I expressed on forums that what I thought the game needed was to be able to run 'realistic' true planet sized maps with squares or hexes that were in the 25m across size range, and in which resources were represented in actual ratio-scale units, where the units were represented as battalions, etc.

Imagine my surprise when I learned of Supreme Ruler! :-)

One thought that I had, which is way, waaayy out there, was a Supreme Ruler, Civilization style 'mod.'

The settlements would be the real trick, as the AI never seems to build them and if he did, he'd probably do a crap job. However, the idea would be to extend the "unit designs" and the "tech tree" all the way back to the Neolithic! :D

If the game engine can handled fractions as unit stats, then it might even be possible to add in all the unit designs without having to retroactively re-level all the modern ones. Say for example a Late Stone Age "Warrior" might just look about like a _really_ weak militia with a Close Combat attack strength of 0.02 and defense of 0.03 and cost of "$0.1" [_]B
LOL. Yeah, I'm a military historian by trade. Funny how certain academics are attracted to these types of games :)

That is what I thought as well. Some new units (archers, light and heavy infantry, cavalry, siege engines) broken up by general eras and empires (e.g., Roman Republic/Imperial/Late Empire cohorts, Egyptian chariots, Chinese crossbowmen, etc.).

I think it would not be too hard to mod (just a lot of work). The issue comes with the SRCW bi-polar political system, that only "sort of" existed between 1948-1991. Now, if the game had the SR2020 political system, it would be a lot easier.

BTW, Fistalis started on a Roman-era mod a while back (early 2012) but I don't think he got far with it. I think the system would support it, but I think it is the spheres issue that would mess everything up.
Ya it was just a proof of concept. The sphere issue can be ignored pretty much now as long as you aren't playing sphere victory mode, just have to have a sphere leaders but it really doesn't rely as much on spheres as it used to in previous versions since they fixed the issue where sphere members wouldn't attack ppl of the same sphere. IE neutral vs neutral.

You can pretty much adapt a mod to any era, and if you want you could even add more dynamics to the era using Civ V esque ranged attacks for archers etc, ignoring the actual km range and adding "Hex based" ranges for gameplay purposes etc. It just would require alot of work.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Cool Fistalis. I didnt know they had fixed the white-v-white DoW issue. That makes it actually viable.

The question would be whether it would be all that fun to play--start in 0 AD and go forward. You'd have to have very little but very time consuming tech (ex: Longbow tech may take 500 years, etc.) to have any hope of balance over such a long period.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Hey Aragos, if a game of that sort is of interest to you, about the closest thing I know of is a mod for Civilization IV Beyond the Sword called

Rise of Mankind a New Dawn. The mod has been in development for literally years and it is brilliant.

Unfortunately for me however, I have played so damn much Civ IV that I no longer find the game fun. I have the mod fully installed on my new rig but efforts to get a game going always end with me falling asleep at the keyboard.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=372884

Pretty much _all_ the basic information is there in that mod; obviously just ripping it off would be very uncool, and I'm guessing that might not even be possible per se. However, Aforess and the other guys that have developed that mod have done an amazing job of representing the broad swath of human cultural history in that mod, and it would seem to be silly to try to 'reinvent the wheel' when such a resource is just sitting there waiting to provide inspiration/guidelines.

Not sure what is up with my work situation in the next six months, but who knows, I just might feel motivated to bury my head in modding. However, I think I'd want to start with something smaller and work my way backwards in time maybe.

First step might be to extend the techs and the units back to late 19th century, maybe the outbreak of the first or second Boer War? Would LOVE to try to model in the German-British Dreadnought arms race, but that would I think really need to go back to about the first steam engine in order to give that tech / arms / Imperial race a solid rendition. Just before WWI would seem to be a bit too 'close' and not affording the human enough leeway to reshape his/her position. Although on the other starting sufficiently close-prior to WWI with most of the alliance system already in place could be very cool as well.

Another one that would be very fun would be the whole "War Plan Orange" hypothetical alternate history gambit.

War Plan Orange, published by Matrix was actually one of my all time favorite games, which I have not played for years

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/326 ... s/rate.asp

It did always give me a headache, but oh what a sweet game. If there was some way to get the SR engine to run something like that . . . oh, la, la . . .
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

That might be doable, at least from a modding perspective for SRCW--start at 1900 or so and go from there. The basic techs are in place, you would just have to put in precursor techs to get it to the WWII era (what SRCW covers).

Of course, the game would be massively ahistorical, but would be a fun alternative sandbox scenario.
Sawedoff
Captain

Post by Sawedoff »

Aragos wrote:That might be doable, at least from a modding perspective for SRCW--start at 1900 or so and go from there. The basic techs are in place, you would just have to put in precursor techs to get it to the WWII era (what SRCW covers).

Of course, the game would be massively ahistorical, but would be a fun alternative sandbox scenario.
There was an unfinished WWII mod for SR2020 that could also provide some more technologies and unites to help bridge the gap.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Sawedoff wrote:
Aragos wrote:That might be doable, at least from a modding perspective for SRCW--start at 1900 or so and go from there. The basic techs are in place, you would just have to put in precursor techs to get it to the WWII era (what SRCW covers).

There was an unfinished WWII mod for SR2020 that could also provide some more technologies and unites to help bridge the gap.

Yeah, I may try to mod this with 2020 instead of SRCW. The bi-polar SRCW system is set up for just that--two distinct "sides". Anything outside of that just does not seem to work well.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:
Sawedoff wrote:

Yeah, I may try to mod this with 2020 instead of SRCW. The bi-polar SRCW system is set up for just that--two distinct "sides". Anything outside of that just does not seem to work well.
Thats just an excuse.. the latest version of global crisis/shattered world works fine.. er well shattered worlds economy is still broken but thats cause i'm being lazy this weekend. (weekend for me anyway)

Just turn default victory to complete in the scenario file.. sphere mode victory is too easy anyway. :wink:
As i said before.. sphere leaders need to be present but that doesn't mean the spheres have to mean anything.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I'm not so sure that we are getting the SR2020 SW insanity level yet that I'm looking for. :)

I'm in the middle of a US world conquest game (using my Alt WWII mod). Literally the entire world except the US is red (2 white, 2 red leaning), but no one has DoW'd me yet. Even when I attacked the Netherlands in my "pole to shining pole" conquest plan. I have fought UK and French ships in Dutch waters, but still no DoW, and with full CB. Odd.

Yep--complete victory, VH vol, etc.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:I'm not so sure that we are getting the SR2020 SW insanity level yet that I'm looking for. :)

I'm in the middle of a US world conquest game (using my Alt WWII mod). Literally the entire world except the US is red (2 white, 2 red leaning), but no one has DoW'd me yet. Even when I attacked the Netherlands in my "pole to shining pole" conquest plan. I have fought UK and French ships in Dutch waters, but still no DoW, and with full CB. Odd.

Yep--complete victory, VH vol, etc.
Thats because you still have tons of people aligned.. one way or the other. Make everyone neutral besides the 2 required sphere leaders, and you need to remove the built in sphere slide from everyone. If you still don't see the instanity level you want jack up volatility past what the options allow like I did with SW and GC. Although since Update 3 I no longer needed it since it was primarily to coax nuetrals into declaring on neutrals(although it makes for an insane game of GC)

if you didn't know.. in GC and SW if you turn it on very high from the default you are actually turning DOWN the volatility.
SW-defaultvolatility 1 month in.png
While I was posting this I heard about 5 or 6 more war declarations.. lol

I'll grant you the states seem less enthusiastic about war.. but thats probably due to my broken economy right now really hitting them hard. (or something I overlooked)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Built in sphere slide? You mean sphere and civiliansphere from the .CVP file? I've made them all 0, with only USA as 1 and USSR as -1. Hmm.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:Built in sphere slide? You mean sphere and civiliansphere from the .CVP file? I've made them all 0, with only USA as 1 and USSR as -1. Hmm.
Then it sounds like you don't have much done to relations... (fyi Civilian sphere actually causes them to slide toward whatever you set it, higher you set it faster they slide) IE a -1 will slide toward red sphere quick. a 1 will slide toward blue quick.
Last edited by Fistalis on Jan 23 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

found the issue. Operator/modder error :D
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Side note, are the actually plans for new games in the series? Or are the devs focusing on patching SRCW to 2020 levels first?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

I heard they are completely redoing the engine so it can handle SR Death lands which is based on the post apocalyptic books of the same name
Last edited by Fistalis on Jan 31 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”