Yugoslavia

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

devildog
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Yugoslavia

Post by devildog »

I was wondering if anyone had any kind of luck what so ever playing Yugoslavia
sugarkane
Lieutenant

Re: Yugoslavia

Post by sugarkane »

Personally I really struggled (default settings).

I failed economically, I could just not kick start the economy I quit after about 4 years.
Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair

George Burns
Kailvin
Corporal

Post by Kailvin »

The problem i think is Yugo's lack of loyal provinces. ALL of there production. No matter where it is. Is penalized. This makes playing Yugo near impossible. Since AFAIK you cant make your provinces change loyalty to you.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I'm not talking from experience of Yugoslavia but its a country I've wanted to try.

What are the main problems economically? Yes lowered production amounts but is that it?

Are you invaded early on? If not scrap most of the military or at least put it in reserve.

Industrial goods are god in the early game if its too expensive to build full sized ones build Mids switch off all consumer goods and military goods and raise all the domestic prices for a while.

You should originally be aiming for this economically:
Industrial Goods enough to run all your starting Commercial Goods plants and Military Goods plants and then some spare for construction.
Electric Power. Main thing needed for your factories and Ore and Coal are easy to get on the world market.
Oil. Whatever oil nodes you have build them up.
Food and Water. Will help DAR.
Everything else.

Will have a try in a bit see if I can get a decent economy going as Yugoslavia.
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Kailvin
Corporal

Post by Kailvin »

CptBritish wrote:I'm not talking from experience of Yugoslavia but its a country I've wanted to try.

What are the main problems economically? Yes lowered production amounts but is that it?

Are you invaded early on? If not scrap most of the military or at least put it in reserve.

Industrial goods are god in the early game if its too expensive to build full sized ones build Mids switch off all consumer goods and military goods and raise all the domestic prices for a while.

You should originally be aiming for this economically:
Industrial Goods enough to run all your starting Commercial Goods plants and Military Goods plants and then some spare for construction.
Electric Power. Main thing needed for your factories and Ore and Coal are easy to get on the world market.
Oil. Whatever oil nodes you have build them up.
Food and Water. Will help DAR.
Everything else.

Will have a try in a bit see if I can get a decent economy going as Yugoslavia.
I tried Yugoslavia first. Was not fun. First off do not decommission your military unless your on a really low hot relations setting. Italy likes to come a knockin. Sadly i found out the hard way that France and them are gunna keep pushing troops to you longer then the soviet allies (Which you would get by allying with after the invasion relationship boost.) You also start in really really really bad economic shape. The only thing you have a surplus of is coal i think. The # of resource hexes you have isnt the best either stack that with the production cut Yugo gets from not having any loyal hexes and bam. Thats why yugoslavia is possibly the hardest country in the game...
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Well im glad its not my imagination when im playing a small undeveloped country in building it up. When i read on this site where some players claim they can turn a small region into a great superpower, i had the impression you can do it with any country here. So it shows if there are problems with Yugoslavia you cant build up any country then. Thats a relief!! :-)
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Well i've managed to get self sufficient in everything except Coal, Oil and Water (Waiting for my Inflation to cool down a bit) and i'm making steady money every day. Can't really expand my Economy any more without going below 2.6% unemployment. (I got Balthagor's self made mod to show Inflation and Unemployment)

Not expanded my military yet other than 28 Combat Engineers (The plans for which i bought from the Soviet Union). Gonna expand my infantry now and guard the border with Italy.

Only managed to get one Alliance and that was with East Germany who have now reunited Germany and they love me got them in a Mutual Defence so hopefully they'll help me should the sh*t hit the fan.

Last edited by CptBritish on Aug 28 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
devildog
Sergeant

Post by devildog »

I didn't think she can be built up like that! Good job! My yugoslavia doesn't come close |O
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

It was hit and miss at the start but once i'd balanced Consumer Goods, Industrial Goods and got enough power to run both, it wasn't difficult, what is difficult now is expanding my industry more without inflation and unemployment going out of control.

I did have economy on easy though (with Diplomacy on Normal and Miliary on Very Hard), Maybe you have it on a harder setting?

C64
Sergeant

Post by C64 »

hmm.. sorry my english is not so good

so i make money with Jugoslavia.

my first day construction order......
10x Industrie
3-4 Gasfields
22 Coal Plants
2 Konsumer gods
1 Militarygods
4 coal mines
8 Bodentruppen Fabrik
dont forget buy industriegods 800.000t (reserves)
and energy !

sell and buy some Technologies ,....... Russia*cheap to buy) ,(Sell to China,Pakistan,Indonesia ,Philipine,India......

thats my startup.....maybe helps
number47
General

Post by number47 »

devildog wrote:I didn't think she can be built up like that! Good job! My yugoslavia doesn't come close |O
hehe 8) she can get much better than this...the key to jumpstart economy when you start is to build coal plants and at the same time scrap hydro plants which give you a lot of ind goods to help you build industry (ind,cons,etc.) and yugoslavia has a "lot" of hydro plants :wink:

I'll post some pics of my 1974 yugoslavia when I get home...

oh, I forgot to mention that as long as I had supply level high, I didn't experience any (or at least noticable) penalty for lack of loyalty...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

number47 wrote:at the same time scrap hydro plants which give you a lot of ind goods to help you build industry (ind,cons,etc.) and yugoslavia has a "lot" of hydro plants :wink:
Yea I didn't do this until I'd already conquered Austria, Greece & Turkey. Its really helpful for building (Or rebuilding as it helped me with :-) )

Other than whats already been said you've got to protect against Italy's border and I mean really well... Unless you make the long leap towards siding with NATO (Which I think would take ages) France and Italy just steamroll through the country lol'ing as they destroy everything.

I scrapped the game due to NATO been really annoyed with me and theres nothing a Yugoslav player can do against the might of France and Italy, at least early game, I was only in 1955 I think...

number47
General

Post by number47 »

also, unemployment wasn't a big issue because I signed very early in the game "free flow of work force" treaties with china, india and some other nations with huge population and small BDP. So, while I kept increasing my social spendings to make my country more "desirable" the immigration went through the roof!!

Also, France (had no interest in attacking me, but still kept pilling units on my border with Italy) and especially Italy (had no military whatsoever) made no problems to me cause I didn't attack anyone until early '60 (when I had pretty advanced units considering the rest of the world) so most of the world was ok towards me.

Just to point out, I played everything on default settings...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
vahadar
Colonel

Post by vahadar »

Playing on very high volatility, i was pretty much attacked right from the start by Italy.

And having choosen hard diplomacy, i was quite in trouble the first months because i could not get any communist country to ally with me even if we were full green.
So i fortified Rijeka and Ljubljana with units and much artillery to kill all the invading units. Built a lot of Sea Fury and Thunderborlt planes to help with that.
But as the month passed managed to get Romania and East Germany with me, that helped a bit against the italians. Now all the Varsaw pact is allied with me.

Havent built up my economy yet, i'm still recovering from the war but Italy is down :) The only think i've managed to do so far is getting my oil in the green, but that was before conquering Italy, now i have it in the red again :)
(other setting : very hard military, hard diplomacy and hard economy)

devildog
Sergeant

Post by devildog »

I like that map.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”