Who Should A Beginner Play As?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

NRose97
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Who Should A Beginner Play As?

Post by NRose97 »

Hello,

I just recently started playing Cold War, and I was wondering if anybody knew a country that is fun for a beginner. Not too hard, and not getting wiped off the map. Also not having to do a lot of military action, unless you want to. Preferably a medium sized country. Any ideas? :-)
Fistalis
General

Re: Who Should A Beginner Play As?

Post by Fistalis »

South africa Has been a decent beginners nation through out the series. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be in Cold war.
Its isolated, Stronger than most of the nations on its continent and has plenty of resources. (I'd suggest Indonesia but i really haven't looked at its starting conditions in cold war)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
peanuts12
Lieutenant

Post by peanuts12 »

Fistalis wrote:South africa Has been a decent beginners nation through out the series. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be in Cold war.
Its isolated, Stronger than most of the nations on its continent and has plenty of resources. (I'd suggest Indonesia but i really haven't looked at its starting conditions in cold war)
I second that. Spain is also a good one, but can't attack anyone unless you want to piss off all of NATO :-/ .
NRose97
Lieutenant

Post by NRose97 »

Okay thanks... If you can think of any other good ones let me know ;)
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I've heard Iran is a good one.

Or Maybe a Argentina or Brazil.

Also I think Austrailia is quite good as well as it gives you access to a colony that is close (As does South Africa) so you can play around with building up that.
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

spain is good, the economies not too tight, 3 colonies including spainish morroco (just over the straits of gibralter) and isn't too much of a major player in the cold war. You can fight people without annoying NATO, I fought etheopia in a proxy war then a full out war after they attacked the recently independant state of entriea.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
cswcu48
Sergeant

Post by cswcu48 »

Brazil is pretty solid but if you get too trigger happy then the USA will steam roll you. I liked Iran. Plenty of resources and plent yof enemies to invade.
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Well it depends on how you want to find out how different things work. Bhutan isnt bad for a beginner but i found it rather limited and dont have the experience like some here in building up a small poor nation into a monolith which i personally find unrealistic - maybe locally in an economic way. Otherwise Nepal is a good start in building up your resources etc. But i havent reach the military side yet.
PyongYang
Colonel

Post by PyongYang »

South Korea *
Vhorthex
Warrant Officer

Post by Vhorthex »

NRose97 wrote:Hello,

I just recently started playing Cold War, and I was wondering if anybody knew a country that is fun for a beginner. Not too hard, and not getting wiped off the map. Also not having to do a lot of military action, unless you want to. Preferably a medium sized country. Any ideas? :-)
My first game I took USSR. Enable the ministers, and solely focused on understanding economics. Turns out 4 years later, that the entire world is communist and my economy is going great. lol
Edwards
Corporal

Post by Edwards »

I prefer West Germany, from the nations I played so far (Brazil, South Africa, Iran and the US) it's the easiest to play with.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

As others have stated, South Africa. If you get comfortable with the economics, try a bigger challenge as Afghanistan.
Samer
Lieutenant

Post by Samer »

USA. Makes for a fun game :)
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

NRose97 wrote:Hello,

South Africa without a doubt: huge ressources, a good manpower pool, nice technology, a brilliant strategic staring position and easy starting enemies/potential adversaries to wipe off the face of the earth.
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Im starting to wonder if its better to play a major power first with these sort of games. Things seem rather long and tedious trying to build up a small nation. But has anyone made a mess of things trying to play either one of the superpowers or another major power? Just curious to know if it isnt all that easy playing them, thanks.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”