Worth Purchasing?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

TJarnold92
Corporal
Human: Yes

Worth Purchasing?

Post by TJarnold92 »

I posted this in the Paradox forum and was told I should post it here:

Anyway, I was hoping for insight on to whether you guys believe the game is worth purchasing in it's current state. I've heard a lot of complaints, both from users and critical reviews (which haven't been that kind to the game...), that the AI needs some serious tweaking, and just reading the first few threads on here seems to reassure that.

So, what are your guy's honest views on the game? Should one simply wait for a much cheaper, "Gold" version that fixes any major issues, or do you think one may not have to wait that long?
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Worth Purchasing?

Post by Eldin »

The game has some minor issues, this is true. Though I believe BG is working very hard on ironing them out. I think BG must be the best developer I can think of when it comes to supporting their games. It is not unusual for games from BG, or anywhere really these days, to have bugs. At least BG fixes their games, which is more than can be said about larger developers\publishers like Ubisoft or EA Games. So to answer your question, yes I do believe it is worth purchasing the game in its current state. I find it playable, entertaining and very fun.
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

At the end of the day its up to you. If you like strategy games dealing with world events and you have the patience to study it then its your type of game. If not dont buy it. I wouldnt buy Call of Duty games at full price as its not really my type of thing unless the price comes right down. One has to accept really that all games have their flaws when they first come out. But at least designers like BG, Paradox and AGEOD do have their own forums. They do listen and respond and usually improve the game. Its up to you if you buy it now to learn the mechanics of the game for future improvements. It boils down to how keen you are for these games. But dont buy it if its not your thing.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

TJarnold92 wrote:I posted this in the Paradox forum and was told I should post it here:

Anyway, I was hoping for insight on to whether you guys believe the game is worth purchasing in it's current state. I've heard a lot of complaints, both from users and critical reviews (which haven't been that kind to the game...), that the AI needs some serious tweaking, and just reading the first few threads on here seems to reassure that.

So, what are your guy's honest views on the game? Should one simply wait for a much cheaper, "Gold" version that fixes any major issues, or do you think one may not have to wait that long?
I can't really answer the question for you.. I personally think so. But it comes down to what YOU'RE looking for in a game of this type. As i previously stated on the paradox forums, if your looking for a game board type game where each AI is striving toward whatever victory condition you set then this really isn't going to make you happy. If you like Geo political simulators then you'll probably love it.(like most of us long time fans of the series)

(Note BG probably had a heart attack when they read my post on paradox.. but they are welcome to correct me if any of my posts were wrong :wink: )
Last edited by Fistalis on Aug 04 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Anyway, I was hoping for insight on to whether you guys believe the game is worth purchasing in it's current state.
I would suggest you play the demo. The game is not for everyone.

Number 1 reason I like it is because of the replayability.
Samer
Lieutenant

Post by Samer »

Definitely worth purchasing!
TJarnold92
Corporal

Post by TJarnold92 »

Is the fact that the AI seems to be unmotivated to progress at all and that the fact that countries drift regardless going to be fixed?

The biggest issue that marks me on the fence is a lack of AI wanting to stop the player, it seems like most nations can steamroll without any outside power caring?
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

The biggest issue that marks me on the fence is a lack of AI wanting to stop the player, it seems like most nations can steamroll without any outside power caring?
If your looking for game that "cheats" to win then this game is not for you. The best challenge of the game is when you set yourself to accomplish goals w/o using any of the features to full potential.

Its not hard to buy and sell Techs, but you dont have to. You can buy any designs but you dont have to. You can build any facilities and not limited to how many (unless you lack the land) but you dont have to build any facility.

The game is strategy simulation. You choose your strategy and game will simulate it for you. Its not if you win but how you win.

Like I said above, this type of game is not for everyone. If you like trying out different strategies to see how they play out, then the replayability of this game will keep you entertained for alot of hours.
TJarnold92
Corporal

Post by TJarnold92 »

Hundane wrote:If your looking for game that "cheats" to win then this game is not for you.
How is it cheating by reacting to players actions? I was just saying that folks seem to be stating, and from my playing of the demo, that the AI does not seem to react to player actions.

If that is considered cheating by the AI, then yes, I expect the AI to cheat, massively, in this type of genre, ha.
If the Soviet Union let's it's allies fall without a response, than why have AI?

I was just wondering if that is considered an issue, and if so if it will be addressed.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

TJarnold92 wrote:
Hundane wrote:If your looking for game that "cheats" to win then this game is not for you.
How is it cheating by reacting to players actions? I was just saying that folks seem to be stating, and from my playing of the demo, that the AI does not seem to react to player actions.

If that is considered cheating by the AI, then yes, I expect the AI to cheat, massively, in this type of genre, ha.
If the Soviet Union let's it's allies fall without a response, than why have AI?

I was just wondering if that is considered an issue, and if so if it will be addressed.
I'm not sure what you mean.. if you mean will the AI declare war on you without justification the answer is no.. which means if you have justification towards one of their allies they gain little justifcation toward you when you DOW on their ally. As to the demo.. not sure what to say.. its based on an older version so i have no idea what kind of issues you may see/may not see from it.
I saw on your paradox page you had sr2020 so surely you understand the CB system and the way the AI reacts depending on whether or not it can justify it to the world community.

Also alot of people who are saying the AI doesn't react play with the no units option on then wonder why the AI doesn't DOW on them when they attack an ally in jan of 1950.. gee idk. maybe because they don't have a sizable force to fight with yet lol.

Either way good luck to ya.. :wink:
Last edited by Fistalis on Aug 04 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

How is it cheating by reacting to players actions?
It does react, Just because it doesnt react the way a certain player thinks it should doesnt mean theres not a reaction.
goulash
Lieutenant

Post by goulash »

I think it is as clear as day what TJarnold92 is getting at so I dont know why people are getting a bit etchy about his statement.

That aside I do have a much better time with this game than with 2020 and I see a few things with the AI that are much improved IMHO.

I bought it and am not regretting it but I hated 2020 and was going to give up on the series all together until I played CW.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”