My Cold War impressions.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Desstl
Corporal
Human: Yes

My Cold War impressions.

Post by Desstl »

Ok I wanted to really take some time play the game and compile my thoughts about it. This is probably going to be a long and contain a couple of lines of criticism but hopefully it’s viewed as constructive.
I guess about a month or so ago I login to steam and browse around for a RTS game to play. I stumble across a game called Supreme Ruler 2020 on sale for $2.50. Can’t really go wrong at that price so I hit the download button and about 45 minutes later I’m playing. Not a bad game. A little buggy but that another topic all together. After fiddling around with it for an hour or so. I understand the game enough to restart my current game and play for real. 9 hours later I realize I was hooked.
Hooked enough to hunt down the forum page and check out what the community is like. Hooked enough to do the research needed to actually play this game. Hooked enough to do a launch day purchase of the Cold War take on the franchise. Before I dive off into my Cold War experience I’m going to take a moment and say “This has the potential to be the RTS game I always wanted.” Deeply tactical at every phase. Every move you make alters the balance and can have serious repercussion. Taking the same action every game does not yield the exact same effects. It’s about timing as much as firepower. Loving the concept so far.
Now off to the Cold War. I probably should have went to Wiki to refresh my memory on what the world was like back then but I thought the game would explain that to me. It feels like I’m expected to have a detailed understanding of the state of the world 60 years ago before I start playing. My mom wasn’t even born till 56 so how much am I supposed to remember about 1950ish. However, I spent some time watching discovery and I did pay attention in history class so I have a decent understand of the state of affairs.
WW2 has just ended. The US has a thriving War economy. As one of very few countries who’s infrastructure was not damaged or destroyed and one of only 2 countries that posses atomic weapons the US Is well positioned to win the superpower race. War in Vietnam is raging and securing a foothold in the region presents a vast tactical advantage for the US.
My Oplan is as follows. Increase industrial output. So I queue up 10 industrial factories. I want to dominate the space race so up goes 6 more research plants. End goal number is 30 research facilities. Capture as much of the Vietnam region as possible. Build Air Bases, fortifications, and fabrication. Establish a strong foothold in Southeast Asia. Use these installations as a spring board into the Korean conflict.
Things go pretty Much according to plan. I’m able to capture enough territory to give me access to China and a few villages and bases including a large village where I decide to build a seaport. I notice a unit pathing problem with the Seattle area. Units that are supposed to be deployed overseas from that never make it to the Seaport. Re/Construction in Vietnam never seems to begin. I am however able to establish a large “occupational” force for the pending Korean Conflict. Win the war and prepare for a simultaneous invasion of China and the USSR on 2 fronts.
As the Korean War begins, Quick and clear cut are the terms of victory here. Give them too much time to fight on their own and china joins in. They have already proven to be a pest in Vietnam. This time around I want to hit the ground so hard and fast so China does not have a chance to enter the conflict. No construction has begun in occupied North Vietnam yet so the closet bases I have available to repair my units is on the mainland. That’s over a month my units or out or service for repair strictly in travel time. What’s worse half the forces available in the Asian theatre have taken damage. Never the less the goal is the same. Push hard and capture the capital. Use the bases to resupply and continue my research into jet driven air transports.
The war goes well for me. In 6 months North Korea exists only as a territory of the US. I now have 2 points of direct access into China and one into the USSR. Next phase of the game is to eliminate as much dated military equipment as possible without weakening my Forces to much. Production of my KC135E’s are almost complete. MC130’s and C-5A’s are next in the queue. (here I notice you’ve changed the way you select units. When it comes to Disbanding units the player really needs an option to scrap a whole line. I personally don’t like towed artillery so I want to scrap all units that fit the mold. I have to control click over 300 units on my initial purge. And more will follow as my tech level increases. There has got to be a better way to manage units. I just haven’t found it yet. ) My advisors have been screaming for months about raw and industrial materials. I am leery of starting a new construction because the day one plants I ordered as well as all of the reconstruction of the former North Vietnam and Korean territories is still on hold.
Power Generation is a major concern. Given the prices and demand for energy I want to build up and additional 50 other power plants and build 10 nuclear reactors. I cannot yet start on this task since day one construction has not began. I’m at a loss here. I just can’t figure why no progress or extremely slow progress is being made. Industry is not producing the goods I need. I figure there may be a raw material shortage so I bulk buy vast amounts of food, power, water, ore, coal, and uranium. Now that I have that taken care of construction should progress right? Nope, nothing elections are about to take place and only a couple of facilities have come online. Is a 38 percent approval rating enough to get re-elected? Let’s just hope I can contact my inner George W. and win this race.
Yay me I win! Now to get to work trying to de-stabilize the Cuban government and capturing an Oil rich country to ensure future dominance. My Sphere of influence has grown quite a bit. Despite not being able to build a factory I’m the richest nation out there. Korean bases are slowly coming back online. Modern tankers are Patrolling the skies and re-deploying troops. Things overall are going well. If I don’t modify my spending habits, keep taxes as low as possible, and research to my limit I should win this game by attrition. That is until the game crashes and I realize I never turned on the Autosave function.
My last manual save was almost a year ago (game time) so that puts my right back at end of the Korean war… Oh well lesson learned. IF you play games then you should know to save games often… But who really remembers to do that when you are busy directing major conflicts. Anyway… I Digress.
Since I have an idea what the next year is going to be like I start out by halting construction on anything that is not an industrial plant. Seems to me that if the Ai can scream at me to increase production it should prioritize said construction. Even if resources have to be focused into one plant at a time progress would still be made. But I seem to be getting nothing. So I now I’m stuck. Demand is steadily increasing and there seems to be no way I’m going to meet It. I must be missing something Just haven’t figured out what yet.
All In all I’m pleased with the game. Once I figure out why I can’t build anything really I’ll be much happier. Keep pushing on working on your product. You could really build something special here.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Re: My Cold War impressions.

Post by way2co0l »

Still reading but wanted to give a couple quick points of advice. Maybe they'll help and I'm sure others will have more.

In regards to mass disbanding units, it can be easier than what you're doing. :)

Go to your reserve units menu, select the type of unit you're wanting to mass disband, (in this case artillery) and click the option to deploy all. From there, go to the deployed units menu and select the type of unit you're wanting to mass disband. Then, a new screen will come up just a little to the right. One of the options is a "Filter by" button. Once you have the type of unit you want to mass disband selected, click the filter by button and select "add highlighted type". You now have all of that unit type selected and can now give your scrap order to every single one of them.

It's not a perfect solution, and would be great if they'd let you use the filter option for your reserved units and save you a step, but it makes it a little easier anyway. :)

As to the economy. The problem is industrial goods themselves. Your consumer and military goods are using your limited supply up which is preventing you from building, and the fact that it's a global problem means you're having a hard time getting more. CptBritish posted some good general guidelines on the second page of this thread. http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 77#p126677

I'll finish reading now and add any other advice I can think up later. :) Hope it helps!
Last edited by way2co0l on Jul 25 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

way2co0l wrote:. Once you have the type of unit you want to mass disband selected, click the filter by button and select "add highlighted classes". !
Highlighted classes will grab all the class.. for instance if you have a m1a1 it would grab all tanks. Highlighted Type would only grab units of that specific type. For instance if you have selected an m1a1 it would grab all m1a1s.

@OP.. a list of specific questions would be much easier to respond to.. the wall of text makes me dizzy.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Fistalis wrote:
way2co0l wrote:. Once you have the type of unit you want to mass disband selected, click the filter by button and select "add highlighted classes". !
Highlighted classes will grab all the class.. for instance if you have a m1a1 it would grab all tanks. Highlighted Type would only grab units of that specific type. For instance if you have selected an m1a1 it would grab all m1a1s.
Oops. That's what I meant. Lol. :)
mfisher12
Lt. Colonel

Post by mfisher12 »

Small necropost here, but I wanted to point out that mass-scrapping of obsolete units is a major waste when influence and diplomacy are so much more important in SRCW.

Why not give those older reserve units to countries you want to impress? I don't care for towed artillery either (unless it's air-portable and I have lots of big Chinooks), but places like Israel, Turkey, Taiwan, etc., love those things and will think you just gave them a new Porsche for Christmas.

A towed Porsche, maybe, but still a Porsche :)
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I agree with sending them to other countries in most case but if there is war raging everywhere and prices of military goods have shot up scrapping can make you quite a bit of cash ;)

I scrapped all Britains WW2 Carrier fleet and got loads of military goods to sell/store.
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

way2co0l wrote:In regards to mass disbanding units, it can be easier than what you're doing. :)

Go to your reserve units menu, select the type of unit you're wanting to mass disband, (in this case artillery) and click the option to deploy all. From there, go to the deployed units menu and select the type of unit you're wanting to mass disband. Then, a new screen will come up just a little to the right. One of the options is a "Filter by" button. Once you have the type of unit you want to mass disband selected, click the filter by button and select "add highlighted type". You now have all of that unit type selected and can now give your scrap order to every single one of them
In the event anyone else puzzles over this like I did, this process -only- selects units of the type/class which do not already have orders of some sort. Meaning the ones whose names are in bright gold, not the ones with faded gold text.

I was *that* close to posting here and saying "Derp. This doesn't work," but I just figured it out.

Now to see if I can figure out the manual atomic bomb deployment into my brand new fleet of Tu-95 bombers.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”