Game performance

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

raybaudi
Captain

Game performance

Post by raybaudi »

I've installed the demo to check the game performance. Unfortunately, it looks like the game does not run too smooth. The problem comes when the zoom is out. The game takes its time loading (I think) the patches of forests and grass. When trying to scroll around, I face a lot of lag (intermittent pauses). My desktop is not that bad after all. The only issue regards the video card which had to be set to the integrated one since the plugged one wasn't working anymore.

If I upgrade my video, should the game performance improve? These are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @2.66Ghz
6GB RAM PC2-6400 MB/sec
Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100

Thank you,
Hundane
General

Re: Game performance

Post by Hundane »

Have you tried turning the imagery resolution to Low? Its in the Graphics option menu.
raybaudi
Captain

Post by raybaudi »

Yes but still the game lags. It's only when the map is zoomed out (not completely, let us say middle way)

My question is whether the lack of video power is causing the lag or the other desktop components.

Thanks
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Post by BigWolf »

I'm using a ATI 4750HD and I'm still getting lag tbh
GoldenMan
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Post by GoldenMan »

This problem is true

I have a lag |O
raybaudi
Captain

Post by raybaudi »

So I guess it doesn't have to do with the video card. Too bad, then. Because the game (for me) is almost unplayable as this pace. :cry:
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Post by BigWolf »

Tbh, since you have an intel integrated graphics you'll get even less performance than those with a dedicated card regardless
A good thing might be if we were to be given options to lower some other graphics not just satellite imagery
raybaudi
Captain

Post by raybaudi »

I'd just like to know how much of an improvement will I get should I upgrade my video card?

I used to have a Geforce 9500GS but it got damaged. Besides, I don't want to spend much money on it.

Thanks
Antonin
Lieutenant

Post by Antonin »

BigWolf wrote:A good thing might be if we were to be given options to lower some other graphics not just satellite imagery
This would be a good thing. I'm playing the demo. I accept that perhaps my computer is just not modern enough to handle SRCW easily. Still, it's disappointing, considering how much fun I am having with SR2020. I was expecting SRCW to be a different *style* of game, not a game that is a different style *and* occupies a whole different rung on the technology ladder. I was hoping to buy this new version straight off, at full price. Now I think I should fiddle around with the demo a bit more to see if it's playable.

I do appreciate the fact that the guys at BG have made a demo available.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I'd just like to know how much of an improvement will I get should I upgrade my video card?
Im by no means a computer expert but I think any video card would be an improvement over the onboard video.
Hakuren
Warrant Officer

Post by Hakuren »

Well too cheer you up a bit.

Game lags as hell on i7920 with "uber" gtx580. Even if I disable every background program LAG is still there. Problem is that game engine is super-duper-CPU-heavy [I don't want to say CPU-only]. Even if it can use up to 4 cores on a CPU, it is barely capable of utilizing VGA power. And that really sucks, because map is not processed by VGA card in any major part (utilization of GPU vary between 5%-15%, VRAM: ~280-320MB used, FPS between 4-15). Everything is run by CPU. GPU utilization is exactly the same between GTX580 and GTS8800 (G80). Tested.

I was drooling for Cold War so long that I decided to buy it when it come out without waiting months for many, many.... many patches which SRCW desperately need. I was not overjoyed with new map when I first watched trailers. And unfortunately my fears materialized fully and even in greater scale. Moving map across Siberia or any region with a lot of forests is like trying to play original DOOM 1 on 386SX. Always ends (ended) in tears! Such horrific LAG appeared in SR2020 after maybe 40 years of playing with thousands and thousands of units.

With heavy heart. Must abandon CW for a while. Returning to Vicky2 while waiting for patches. Playing game which is very slow and is capable of crashing every step of the way is not fun at all.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

i only notice any lag when either A: being zoomed all the way out or
B: i've got the game turned to full speed on a mod the game isn't optimized for.(you wanna talk about lag load the modern world scenario and set it to full speed during a major war.. TOO many UNITS lol. To be fair though thats my mod and not BGs problem)

@OP
If you use the minimap to change your view and don't zoom all the way out its not an issue. The game runs fine.. its just the scrolling while being fully zoomed out is kinda choppy.(its not your video card if this is what your talking about cause i'm running a 1gb HD4670. Not the newest and best but should handle anything CW throws at it.)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

For some perspective, could ppl define "lag"?

How many secs does it take you to go one day or how many days do you get in a minute?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:For some perspective, could ppl define "lag"?

How many secs does it take you to go one day or how many days do you get in a minute?
I'm speaking of Choppiness when scrolling not actual lag when zoomed out.

As for the TOO many units deal.. jets just jump around and stuff but to be fair I modified the 2020 OOB for that mod so its ALOT of units lol.

I never personally see an issue with actual game speed. just choppy scrolling or skipping animations for lack of a better descriptor.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Antonin
Lieutenant

Post by Antonin »

Hakuren wrote:Well too cheer you up a bit.

Game lags as hell on i7920 with "uber" gtx580. Even if I disable every background program LAG is still there. Problem is that game engine is super-duper-CPU-heavy...
I assume GTX580 is your video card? Mine is a GeForce5500 with 580MB of memory.

My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64...the front of the computer case says "3400+", which I suppose is the processor's power.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”