ecconomic death

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

stuguy909
Colonel
Human: Yes

ecconomic death

Post by stuguy909 »

I played as East Germany in the sandbox mode. I immediately attacked West Germany and my allies mopped up the West rather quickly. However, after the war, my economy just froze. I gathered that the Industrial goods production was so terrible that nothing would build or repair. No matter what I did, I could not bring up my goods production. It was frozen at 89 tons of production, even though my nation had the capability to produce way more. The same went for military goods, and consumer goods, all considerably low. Hell, just about everything was severely cut production wise due to shortages. However, there was no way to solve the problem. Can't build, can't change production, and nobody has sufficient stocks of anything to bail me out with whatever currency I have left.

:edit: I have the save if anyone wants to take a look.
Samilou
Captain

Re: ecconomic death

Post by Samilou »

Manually make bulk purchases from the market from start, check what resources you lack to maintain industrial goods production, bulk purchase that as well (must pay above market price for it) also turn down military goods production and consumer goods production to 0 percent of capacity until the situation allows you to resume production again. Take the limited amount industrial goods you can get, and slowly but surely build up your own production of what you lack and cannot import at reasonable price.
stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

Samilou wrote:Manually make bulk purchases from the market from start, check what resources you lack to maintain industrial goods production, bulk purchase that as well (must pay above market price for it) also turn down military goods production and consumer goods production to 0 percent of capacity until the situation allows you to resume production again. Take the limited amount industrial goods you can get, and slowly but surely build up your own production of what you lack and cannot import at reasonable price.
not what I am talking about. I have played SR2020 for years, this scenario has never happened. The production is all screwy. Nothing is building or repairing. I have means of production, I even turn off the AI control and set to 100% of capacity and the production fluctuates from 0-random number. It is like an economic freeze. Though I have some money, bulk purchasing will not work because nobody is selling, at least, not at anything I can afford.

Addition: In an experiment to fix the economy, I used the cheat georgew to add enough money to take risks to jump start the industry. I was able to increase the flow of goods, but repairs and construction is still frozen. The production of industrial goods has risen, but it still fluctuates rapidly even though it is under my control. I am aware of associations between market items, I would have more resources to aid production, but many of the mines and powerplants I capture REFUSE TO REBUILD.
stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

Ok, I solved it. The game's market is a lot more awesome compared to SR2020. One could almost always make bulk purchases on the market in SR2020, but that isn't the case in CW. There is a goods shortage world wide on Industrial goods. When I expanded my country (east Germany), I needed large quantities of industrial goods to rebuild everything that was damaged in the much larger West Germany, however, there weren't enough goods on the market to fix my problem in a reasonable amount of time. It would have taken years. With my experimenting with the cheat, I was able to offer the best possible price on the market for bulk purchases, so naturally, whenever goods became available, they were sold to me. This eventually restarted the construction efforts, and they gradually completed 1 by 1. Now going back without cheats, I am stuck at an economic stand still, being a tiny nation that couldn't afford to swallow a larger one.

This is slightly different from SR2020, though it was possible to get into an economic slump, it was a lot easier, IMO, to get out of it. What I saw here in CW was literally an economic death due to lack of preparedness, finances, low market availability, and over-zealous expansion.

Summary: Kudos to the devs for adding a realistic dynamic to the game. I will really have to watch out from now on if I really want to expand my borders or not.
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

Yep, not being able to build eleventy billion factories in the first year = good. IMO. :wink:
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

bvb wrote:Yep, not being able to build eleventy billion factories in the first year = good. IMO. :wink:
Couldn't agree more. The shortage of goods adds to the experience and fun. However it also adds to the learning curve for our new found friends.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Post by BigWolf »

We must remember that this is just after WW2, alot of the global industry wasn't in that good shape anyway :P lol
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Yea the Allies kinda did a number on most of Germany's industrial centres :wink:
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
BigWolf
Brigadier Gen.

Post by BigWolf »

Indeed, and the Germans knocked alot of others out during WW2 first :P lol
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

If you remember 2010's economy,it was very tight cash wise.More than a few players got frustrated and gave up.It was however more fun than it was after,when they tweaked it to be more "friendly".
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Yea I got my copy today.

Thought sod it gonna play the UK first (as if there was any doubt lol)

Brought all the military back to the UK from Germany Entrenched the rest in the colonies and damn is it hard to start lol...

I've build up a reasonable amount of industrial goods plants (Mostly mids with a couple of big ones) and i've switched off my production of Commercial and Military goods and i've just got enough to build up now... nearly self sustainable in Agriculture but i'm wondering if i'm going about this the wrong way... Should I keep on building Industrial Goods factories and risk the harm to oil, coal etc or should I build up the resources that don't need anything else first?
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Asimov
Sergeant

Post by Asimov »

As tkobo said another thread, the economic model is more challenging in SRCW and it's an interesting change. However, the current design seems to mandate one solution only: bulk buy resource to develop sulf-sufficiency of industrial goods.

I'd like propose an alternative way to tighten up the economy. Food, rather than Industry goods is the product that is in most severe deficiency after WWII. One of the earliest job of UN is to distribute emergency food supply to the newly liberated region, such as Southeast Asia.

Further, US achieve dominance in the post-WWII world by utilizing the massive industrial capacity left fallow after the war to supply food and other goods to the recovering world, as illustrated by the Marshall Plan and aids to Southeast Asia. Therefore, I suggest that the US should be given a better supply with regards to resources which can be used to gain leverage in the world of cold war.

The rest of world will then need to struggle to get aids from US or USSR (once it recovered), enhancing the diplomatic scene.
Baj00000
Sergeant

Post by Baj00000 »

I have some questions on how the economy, more specifically, how production works.

I also like the concept and feel of how the economy/production works in SRCW, but need to understand the following better:

(Playing as USA in campaign mode.)

1. I am not sure I understand the relationship between the amount of oil the various industries use, including electric plants, and what is produced. What I mean by this is at the end of WW2 the Allies had used about 7 billion barrels of oil, with almost 6 billion barrels coming from the USA. The USA was producing around 3 million barrels a day by the end of the war. This number ties in nicely with the production of oil in the USA at the start of the game. The games starts with about 3.2 million barrels a day being produced by the USA. However, the USA is demanding 9 million barrels a day. This is what shocks me. During WW2 the USA was supplying it allies with lots of oil, and still had more than enough oil to run its industrial base which was focused on producing war material. Yet in 1949 the game has the industrial needs of the USA swallowing 9 million barrels a day. Something seems off. Today with a population that is almost 3 times what it was in 1949, and more industry the USA uses about 20 million barrels a day.

2. Related to the point above. Lets assume I am wrong and I am not taking into account the effects of rationing during the war etc...and that the industrial requirements in the game are correct. Then my question is, since 90 oil fields, which is what I start with, produce around 3.2 million barrels of oil do I need to build 180 more oil fields in order to have 9 million barrels a day. The problem is that within 2 months the world runs out of oil, and it is impossible to get more than around 1 million barrels a day via the world market. (That is with bulk buys, and price to pay at the max.) Oil is the most important raw material in the game, as a shortage there brings your entire industrial base to a halt. Am I missing something, or doing something wrong?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Its more than just industrial goods.

As the US it took me years to provide all of my own electricity,and food water and timber all had periods of shortages.And Uranium required a major building spree to meet needs.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Kriegsspieler
Captain

Post by Kriegsspieler »

I think the constrictions on the economy are too strict at the moment. The USA's economy is bascially a basket case in the game, which it certainly was not in 1949. China is unplayable, as Barkhauer has reported in a couple of places.

I'm not saying that everything should be made easy, but the addition of one or two industrial goods factories would probably be a good idea.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”