Real-life photos of units

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

golden.pole
Captain
Human: Yes

Real-life photos of units

Post by golden.pole »

I always think of ways how we can improve this game. It just came to me that if BG included pictures of units into the game, it would help create a better atmosphere. The photos could be attached to the already existing technical stats of each unit.
Larger pictures of units (realistic photographs) would pull the gamer more into this game. SRCW world would be more believable.
Whenever I start the game I always look at those great aircraft carriers and ships that are in the starting screen. But then I go into the game and I look at the tiny units and I don't get the same kick out of it.

what you guys think?
.....[]......
..IIII[]III...
.....[]......
.... []......REPENT and BELIEVE the GOSPEL.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Re: Real-life photos of units

Post by Anthropoid »

Ideally, yes I agree. Even if the photos were relatively small it could add quite a bit to the atmosphere of the game. I would also think it is something that modders could implement.

It really would just seem to be a question of:
(a) is it feasible given how the data for the game are packaged and presented
(b) the work to assemble the photos and integrate them into the game.

I can't imagine it being worthy of the devs spending time on it though.
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

Yeah, something like Steel Panthers' encyclopedia view for the info panel, a little photo of the unit would be nice. That said, agree that the devs probably have volumes of things that supersede it in priority. Now, if they could create the ability (an additional reference in the unit file for a photo, and a space in the unit info panel in game, possibly as a UI mod so anyone who doesn't want it won't lose any screen realestate) and then the users could create sort of a community mod package for the photos, that might be more feasible from their end. :)
golden.pole
Captain

Post by golden.pole »

Yes, having these photos would be more of a luxury and it is not necessary to have them. I agree. But in my opinion it is a relatively cheap way to enhance the experience.
I'm just giving my feedback to the team. That's how I felt and thought my observation could give some kind of direction for the devs for further development.
And yes, this is not a priority, but somehow these little things are missing at this stage of this great game.

I remember what Sid Meier said when he was interviewed about his Civilization game. You can save millions of dollars by making the player believe something is there when it is not. Let the player imagination do the work, instead of creating expensive graphics and 3d environments.
So that is why I thought photos should not be expensive to implement, and they should make the player feel more like he\she really is in charge of weapons of mass destruction.
This idea applies not only to units, but could also apply to world events etc.

Let me illustrate what I mean:
I play as a small country. Finally after several years of research I get the technology. After several more years I build my first aircraft carrier. I am so proud I finally got this ship. I feel better about my country, I feel I can project my power better now. But when I look at the unit, it does not look so impressive on the map in comparison to what I achieved. If I had a photo to look at while Im playing, I can look and say: Oh yeah, this is what I got. I got this monster in my port. I can mess others up now. Come and get some. lol.
.....[]......
..IIII[]III...
.....[]......
.... []......REPENT and BELIEVE the GOSPEL.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Photos aren't free. You have to pay the licencing to use them. Or dig around for hours looking for proper royalty free images and making sure you make record of the copyright being open in case of a challenge. This is massive amounts of development time for a database of >5k units.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

On the same line as Balth on this, also as a modder this would take up too muchtime considering the time could be spent on other features instead
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”