Tech Tree musings and Devolpment

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Tech Tree musings and Devolpment

Post by Chesehead »

I'm just creating this thread to put my musings/somewhat improved tech tree for those that might be interested in using it in a mod or gaining insperation from. It'll be an on/off project dependent on my free time for the most part.. I would mod this myself but I don't have the time or patience to mess with modding.

Couple things off that bat that this will change-
Techs will take slightly more time and money to complete. For example, a Nation wide polio vaccine program shouldn't take a month to complete and cost a couple million dollars.

The other goal is to simply elongate the tech tree and make unit progress take longer, so players don't have access to 80's tech units in the early 50's.
Hopefully I'll get intial techs n stuff done tonight...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Tech Tree musings and Devolpment

Post by Balthagor »

In the near future I hope to do some tech tree work. I'm not happy with how it sits now. It's good but could be much better. Longer research times is something being looked at. Some techs had their time increased for update 3.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

The SR-CW tech tree systems seems to "merge" unrelated technologies into the acquisition process,
though an individual piece of equipment - be it aircraft, ship, vehicle, or infantry - can have only 2 technology
prerequisites.

Example:

* * Hawker Hurricane IV (#10070), 1943.

This is a ground-attack, specialized anti-tank version developed from conversion of Hurricane II versions.
Was unique in having two Vickers S-guns (40mm) and two Browning .303cal/7.7mm MG, and ability to attach
up to 8 60-lb (3") rockets. It served throughout the European and later Burma campaigns, 1944-45.

* It was not a all-metal fighter aircraft, being largely fabric covered.
* Engine was a Rolls-Royce Merlin, usually a Merlin 20 or 22 (depending on the model of origin), @ 1620-hp. engine
* United Kingdom is Design Manufacturer

PreReq TECH: #1106 Avionics Technologies (radio altimeter, etc.) - 1938.

It should also have another Tech: #1554 - Improved Monoplane Designs, 1936 [this may not be active]
------------

1. When approaching the UK to buy, it wanted several technologies outside the realm of direct aircraft design or the
specific unit type (Hurricane IV), including:

* Launch Physics
* Gas Turbine Engines
* Magnetic Tapes
* Electronic Imaging Broadcasting (video monitors, TVs, etc.)

And, lastly: All Metal Aircraft.

The first four are unrelated to aircraft. Even Electronic Imaging Broadcasting does not equate to Electron Tubes, which might
apply if this was a night fighter or ship, whereby one considered on-board early radar Consoles on the same manner as night fighter
scopes.

And, as indicated above, this is not an All Metal Aircraft, but fabric covered (along the lines of early Spitfire models).

What is evident is a massive crossing of unrelated technologies.

The only technologies that should apply are the two listed above, and if Improved Monoplane Designs (#1554) is not active
(unsure), then one might consider #909 Early Combat Aircraft as the only other active Tech that would apply, outside of
Avionics Technologies and Radio Transmitters (#567) already developed (as is Early Combat Aircraft).

* * This example is from a single-person game as Iran, year 1951.

Some serious re-development of then entire Tech tree system appears warranted. |O

Thanks for reading - any similar experiences out there?
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

I think one solution would simply be to create a generic tech that unlocks units, sort of like the military production techs, only they unlock semi specfic units.

The other idea I was tossing around was creating country only techs that only certain countries could research. Only problem is the AI not wanting to research/trade it, but I probably screwed up communicating this out of my head.

I'm hoping tonight I'll begin to mess with the tech tree. Problem is there isn't a diagram/chart of the tech tree. I figure I'll start with early aircraft and work from there.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Chesehead wrote:I'm hoping tonight I'll begin to mess with the tech tree. Problem is there isn't a diagram/chart of the tech tree.
So, someone is finally going to open the Pandora box? HUH :o Run for your lives!!!! 8O :lol:
Last edited by number47 on Sep 11 2012, edited 1 time in total.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

number47 wrote:
Chesehead wrote:I'm hoping tonight I'll begin to mess with the tech tree. Problem is there isn't a diagram/chart of the tech tree.
So, someone is finally going to be opene the Pandora box? HUH :o Run for your lives!!!! 8O :lol:

Gotta love procastination..... :oops: I was hoping by creating the thread, it would force me to do something productive instead of watching TV etc...
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

What about techs which are without description? And with ones we do not know what we get with researching (again lack of description).
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:What about techs which are without description? And with ones we do not know what we get with researching (again lack of description).
Last I checked every technology had a description. Which tech doesn't?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:What about techs which are without description? And with ones we do not know what we get with researching (again lack of description).
Last I checked every technology had a description. Which tech doesn't?
I'll check. Thought I saw few of them....
checked, my wrong, they have description. I was thinking about project effects.
For many techs it is unclear which benefits do we get or which other tech do they unlock.
E.g. Medical ultrasonography increases health care up to 2%
but Modern medical X-rays has no project effects at all. So, it has no benefits on health care? It is also unclear which tech will be unlocked by researching this....

It's not really a big issue, but I was always wondering if there are any effects or benefits for researching some techs.
Please teach AI everything!
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

There doesn't happen to be like an org chart/flow chart of the techs to show what unlocks what, is there? My current hang-up is trying to find the time to organize all the tech's order.
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

news?
Con forza ed ardimento
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I won't have anything to add to this until after update 3 is "official".
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

thanks
Con forza ed ardimento

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”