Rail Movement, North Vietnam, North Korea

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Onthebeach
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Rail Movement, North Vietnam, North Korea

Post by Onthebeach »

Hi SC Developers,
I posted elsewhere about the impossibility of saving NV and NK......
I am still having no luck. I started a brand new game and immediately got treaties with China and NV to allow passage of troops and ordered masses of infantry and tanks/arty to the region, they were still trying to get there when NV collapsed in 1950.
Have not yet tried to save Korea but same principle will probably apply............ :(

I think any upgrade to v3 needs to seriously look at tweaking things so REMOTE REGIONS can be reinforced quickly. I note that any units, be they air or ground, travel on their own feet or wheels or tracks.

There needs to be something to facilitate units so they can be transported long distances by rail - that is exactly why Russia built the Trans-Siberian railway!

The Merchant Marine AI needs looking at too. I selected some units to send to North Korea and they converted to Merchant Marine but then tried to get to NK by rivers, I ended up with masses of units locked away on MM shipping in the middle of China somewhere. Arrrghhhh!!
MM should only travel in sea hexes, not on rivers, surely?

Cold War needs to make things at least resemble history. Please look at NV and NK as important areas to "fix".
cheers,
Kim in Australia
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Rail Movement, North Vietnam, North Korea

Post by Balthagor »

Onthebeach wrote:...look at tweaking things so REMOTE REGIONS can be reinforced quickly...
That seems a contradiction. If it's remote, it should be hard to get to.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Onthebeach
Lieutenant

Post by Onthebeach »

Hi Chris,
must have been my Australian accent......... :-)
What I meant was that I, playing as USSR, have lots of units in Western Europe and want to rush them to Siberia and places south, like North Vietnam and North Korea.
It is impossible. The leg infantry walks, the wheel and track toads go a bit faster, but they all arrive too late if at all to have any influence in saving either country.
I can send you a save game if you like - Laos declares war on NV so early that even starting a brand new campaign and immediately shipping everything out the same day achieves nothing. I have tried donating half my armed forces and THAT fails because I get told I don't have the means to do it.

Maybe a new unit/facility called a "rail depot" could be created so it could be built by a player on any rail line whereever needed. It need not cost anything and could be in operation immediately. It is there simply to facilitate strategic transport of armed forces. IMPORTANT NOTE! Rail Depot facilities should be able to be built in other counties IF a Transit Treaty is in place.

Then, any unit which is ON a Rail Depot location, given orders to move to another location which also has a Rail Depot (even if in another country), will use the rail lines and move at a much higher cross-country speed.

I do hope you will think on this one. As I said earlier, the game is losing credibility if "real life" situations cannot be duplicated. The early fall of NV and NK IS unrealistic, needs to be redressed, and fast rail transport would allow this.
cheers
Kim
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for clarifying. This would, however, be an entirely new feature. Won't happen for update 3. May be considered for future development.

It is worth adding, you can make your leg units "load up" into supply trucks or large cargo ships (or planes in later game years) but the AI won't do this for you so it is more micromanagement intensive then would be ideal. The "air transport" command works quite well but usually you need ~1960 era cargo aircraft to do it effectively due to limits of cargo capacity in old aircraft.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Onthebeach
Lieutenant

Post by Onthebeach »

Hi Chris,
I can understand it won't be there for Update 3 (have you a release date in mind yet, BTW??) but I am glad you think it worth looking at for the future. No chance of at least beefing up the numbers of guerillas in NV in the meantime, even if only as a mod??
cheers
Kim
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Anyone could mod that, I've already got lots of stuff on my plate...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:Anyone could mod that, I've already got lots of stuff on my plate...
How about guerilla popping in low loyalty regions, newly conquired (annexed) regions and guerilla forming if DAR drops bellow certain level?? That would be very fun (not to mention possible usage to wage special war on enemy- founding opposition woul'd make sense :wink: ). and if guerilla is successfull in defeating government forces, the country changes sphere and government type. Rebels woul'd have special (anarchy) flag. and country defeated by rebels only changes it's political system. Is that possible to implement?
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:How about guerilla popping in low loyalty regions,... and guerilla forming if DAR drops bellow certain level??
These two already happen from time to time.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:
These two already happen from time to time.
That is excellent!! :P So, hurting someone's DAR actually have some effect. Was thinking that guerilla pops up only when in open war with another country. Thanks :D
Please teach AI everything!
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Onthebeach wrote:Hi Chris,
I can understand it won't be there for Update 3 (have you a release date in mind yet, BTW??) but I am glad you think it worth looking at for the future. No chance of at least beefing up the numbers of guerillas in NV in the meantime, even if only as a mod??
cheers
Kim
The number of guerrilla units is actually higher than what Ho Chih Minh controlled in northern Lang Son and southern China regions at the Nov 49 START date...for there are units in areas that were French controlled territories.

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”