Idea for a Fix to Vietnam, Korea, et al

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Aragos
General

Idea for a Fix to Vietnam, Korea, et al

Post by Aragos »

All,
I've been thinking about a way to fix the Vietnam and Korean wars without forcing events, etc. but fit in the historical period and in the SRCW engine as well. And it may help on the destack problem.

I'm not saying this is the Grand Solution. Just an idea.

A new Diplomatic Option, the Colonial Protection Agreement, or CPA.

The CPA would:

1) Be available ONLY to countries that have colonies. If a country doesn't have a colony (either from Day 1 or by conquest and colonization), it does not get the diplomatic option.

2) The CPA acts as a "mutual defense" agreement, but only between a Mother Country and a Colony. It is a bilateral agreement and cannot be expanded to cover other countries (aka, no NATO or Warsaw Pact full alliance war--only France & South Vietnam, for example).

3) The CPA allows for all the normal Proxy War actions.

4) Limits the involvement of other countries (example: The US wants to get involved with the French/SVN vs. North Vietnam. It can Declare War on N Vietnam or sit the war out but send arms to France via the normal diplo trade engine. Those are the only options)

5) If you make a Colony, then you can do the CPA. Example: The US conquers and turned Cuba into a Colony, then it could do so; the same if the USSR invades and turns Turkey to a colony.

6) Limits involvement of third powers. For example, North Vietnam can receive aid and arms from China, but China can't intervene in North Vietnam...unless someone declares war on NVN. If China declares war on France or South Vietnam, of course, all bets are off and you get the Big War.

7) Does not limit normal multinational wars (aka, the Korean War). Example: the two Koreas are not colonies of either side but independent nations (in the SRCW engine's view). Both countries can have alliances, mutual defense, et al like normal countries (not colonies). The USA signs a mutual defense with South Korea in 1949. China signs a MD with North Korea the same year. June 1950 event comes along, North Korea attacks South Korea. The USA invokes the MD treaty with South Korea and the troops start moving from the US and NATO. China does the same and gets involved in the war. Normal Proxy War engine fight--not a colonial war. This allows for the multi-national wars via the normal engine.

Example in action: France has a "CPA" with South Vietnam on Day 1. No other country does. The result is that only France can send troops into South Vietnam. If any other country wanted to do so, it would have to declare war on North Vietnam.
Hundane
General

Re: Idea for a Fix to Vietnam, Korea, et al

Post by Hundane »

And it may help on the destack problem.
Personally, I do not see a huge problem with the stacking issues. Not saying I dont see them, I just dont let them annoy me enough to ruin my games. However something like you suggest wouldnt hurt and would also help that historical aspect.

My suggestion, if a region has Formal Alliance with a Parent region, then the only agreements it should have with the colonies are Air and Sea Transit treaties and Non-Aggresion Pacts. If its possible to implement that way, it wouldnt allow any foreign units into a colony other than aircraft and navies along the coasts. It also may help the stacking problem if its involving foreign units in colonial ports and piers. The problem I think , is that a Formal Alliance is hard coded to included all those transit treaties plus the LOS and Non-Aggresion and Colonies are probally hard coded to have Formal Alliances with the parent. If its not so, I dont why Fistalis or another modder hasnt modded yet.

Either your suggestion or my suggestion though, IMHO, requires an additional treaty which gives another region authorization to help defend that colony (and only that particular colony) on behalf of the parent. It should very hard to acquire permamently and easy to acquire for say six months to a year. Longer than that the difficulty getting it should go up.
number47
General
Human: Yes

Re: Idea for a Fix to Vietnam, Korea, et al

Post by number47 »

But this would have NO (or at least it shouldn't have) affect on Vietnam war since France is in war with Vietnam and their allies have every right to come and help them....this is why I thought that enhancement of proxy warfare is a much better way of fixing the issue. Also this suggestion does nothing for the "proxy war exploit" issue (allies conquering the entire world for you, you just have to point them in the right direction) :-?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”