Arms Sales

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Should the restrictions on buying arms be removed? (If suitable limitations are put in)

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 33
SGTscuba
General

Re: Arms Sales

Post by SGTscuba »

Maybe have it so they will only open up lets say 1/8 of their production cap of each type for production, and only if they are not at war, simple enough fix (the 1/8 could obviously be adjusted to whatever is sensible)
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

Post by Zuikaku »

Just ,please, enable unit trade so we can trade arms :wink:
The current system is more like a lottery and less like a trade |O
Please teach AI everything!
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Personally, I'm not a fan of the 'rent a factory' approach. I think it would be easier to have the AI dump old gear into reserves, where a proportion is put up to sale over a year or two (could be daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly sales). The tier approach I talk about above, I think, would work.

The neat thing would be if you could see what is for sale on the global market, and try to buy it, based on your relations with the selling country, your UN standing, etc.
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Zuikaku wrote:Just ,please, enable unit trade so we can trade arms :wink:
The current system is more like a lottery and less like a trade |O
Yes, yes oh lord yes!

Edit:

To this effect I have added in a question as a poll on the first page, go have a vote! It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks about this!
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Since there is no any "officials" on this thread I would like to say something about argument that weapons market can be abused and be a method of cheating. Well, this is a game and every game mechanics can be used for cheating. The point is, if someone wants to cheat and play unfair, he will find a way to do it. There is no need to disable some useful game features (like buying weapons) just to prevent potential abuse. And on the other hand, we have cheat codes which can be used without limitation. ??? :-?
And in the end, it's up to every player to decide if he wants to play fair or dirty (by exploiting game mechanics and cheats).
tofofnts
Captain

Post by tofofnts »

Zuikaku wrote:Since there is no any "officials" on this thread I would like to say something about argument that weapons market can be abused and be a method of cheating. Well, this is a game and every game mechanics can be used for cheating. The point is, if someone wants to cheat and play unfair, he will find a way to do it. There is no need to disable some useful game features (like buying weapons) just to prevent potential abuse. And on the other hand, we have cheat codes which can be used without limitation. ??? :-?
And in the end, it's up to every player to decide if he wants to play fair or dirty (by exploiting game mechanics and cheats).
What about during multiplayer?
"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is."
-Oscar Wilde
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

tofofnts wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:Since there is no any "officials" on this thread I would like to say something about argument that weapons market can be abused and be a method of cheating. Well, this is a game and every game mechanics can be used for cheating. The point is, if someone wants to cheat and play unfair, he will find a way to do it. There is no need to disable some useful game features (like buying weapons) just to prevent potential abuse. And on the other hand, we have cheat codes which can be used without limitation. ??? :-?
What about during multiplayer?
Touché! A rather short sighted point, but a fine one none the less!

Personally I would suggest that if suitable limitations, similar to the ones that already regulate arms trades, were placed upon arms trades that the player initiates then there would be no trouble in multiplayer... Just as you are unable to ruin a countries military by accepting trades they offer, you should be unable to ruin a countries military by offering to purchase some of their units.

However if this is to much work for the moment I would suggest that the purchasing of units in single player should be unblocked, as has already been pointed out if a player wants to cheat there are far easier and more effective ways to cheat. Meanwhile, until the suggested limitations are brought in, the current system could remain for multiplayer games.

It just seems that a substantial feature of the game is blocked for no other reason that it might be abused in a single player environment!

Why can't us players be trusted? At least until the developers are able to incorporate the current rules for arms sales into a player directly purchasing arms!
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I'd note that many MP games tend to have house rules--no tech trading with the AI and so on. No reason that you couldn't do arms sales the same way (e.g., you can only sell, not buy, from the AI in a MP game, etc.)
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Aragos wrote:I'd note that many MP games tend to have house rules--no tech trading with the AI and so on. No reason that you couldn't do arms sales the same way (e.g., you can only sell, not buy, from the AI in a MP game, etc.)
Possibly, maybe if the arms sales limits were just totally lifted (until something better can be made) but it is only enabled by selecting it as an option is a pre-game setup. It could default to off so as to not interfere with new players games or anyone who doesn't want it but can still be used by those of us who want it! It also means that it can be disabled for multiplayer, unless (as Aragos says) the players want it enabled possibly using house rules to regulate it!

We just really really want this back in! No matter what it takes!
Much Thanks

Number 46-48
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Yeah, it would be awesome if you could see what is on the world arms market and just try to get it from the selling country. Of course, it would have to be modified by tech level, diplomatic status, etc. That would keep the USSR from buying the USS Iowa or the USA from buying those nifty MiG-29's.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

OK, this is a long shot and probably not possible but... can we mod some AI file in some way to make weapons sales possible?? To unlock unit trade in diplomacy? It is getting really frustrating trying to play some industrially undeveloped country and not being able to buy even some basic outdated equipment. I'm unable to buy WW2 wintage piston fighters in '60s |O
And, ofcourse, AI offers me some junk... rarely... cavalry units and mountain guns mostly... So, try to play N. Vietnam , Ethiopia or Israel with this system :lol: And there are situations where you do need some specific equipment, especially during the war or prewar buildup... Or maybe you are just an african dictator who is impressed with airforce and want to spend all of his people's money on jets. But here, he just can not buy them... especially the specific jet he needs or just wants to have it :wink:
tofofnts
Captain

Post by tofofnts »

Why don't they make an arms trade treaty, (i.e. I'm playing as Canada send an arms trade treaty offer to Japan, they accept, I can now buy tanks from them)
"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is."
-Oscar Wilde
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I imagine the unit trading is probably hard coded so you wont be able to trade it, I also doubt you'll be able to change the diplomatic offers in order to allow them to trade, but its always worth having a look. (just looked in the treaties, doesn't look as if it was added either)
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
tofofnts
Captain

Post by tofofnts »

SGTscuba wrote:I imagine the unit trading is probably hard coded so you wont be able to trade it, I also doubt you'll be able to change the diplomatic offers in order to allow them to trade, but its always worth having a look. (just looked in the treaties, doesn't look as if it was added either)
I wasn't suggesting it as somethin to mod on, I was suggesting it to be a system to stop people from abusing unit trade.
-Oscar Wilde
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

tofofnts wrote:Why don't they make an arms trade treaty, (i.e. I'm playing as Canada send an arms trade treaty offer to Japan, they accept, I can now buy tanks from them)
That is an excellent idea (in fact the best one here so far)!! and establishing that treaty would require diplomatic ratings to be in "green". Can we get any feedback by admins on this matter? Are they even consider this? They can let the random offers stay in game, but we also need more reliable and selective way to purchase weapons...

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”