Doomsday machines?

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Onthebeach
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Doomsday machines?

Post by Onthebeach »

Hi all,
still waiting on delivery of my game but am curious to know if any "Doomsday Machines" - as in Dr Strangelove - are modeled in SRCW? As I understand the concept, it was not something like the Tsar Bomb that could (theoretically anyway) have been dropped from a bomber, but a fixed ground installation that would explode if certain parameters were met (eg bombing of Moscow).

I suspect in a game like this there "may" be a place for such lunacy; having one may deter anyone from attacking you - if you tell them about it! But if deterrence failed, "game over, man!"

Just so NATO would not feel left out, Teller's Low Altitude Nuclear Cruise Missile* (the power unit of which was successfully tested in 1962) could be made available to balance things out, if one was feeling apocalyptic enough. Not sure how the serious side-effects of radiation exhaust would be modeled but if one launched it then the Defcon meter should kick up at least one point, even if the thing just circles for a few weeks without dispensing any of its payload.

It would make things interesting, for sure.
Kim

* Google it also as SLAM or PLUTO. Basically, it was a ground-hugging nuclear ram-jet powered winged missile capable of dispensing lots of hydrogen bombs and able to stay airborne for weeks. Its exhaust would contaminate a 1 mile swath of ground with about 150-200 RADs.
Jopo
Captain

Re: Doomsday machines?

Post by Jopo »

Doomsday machines such as the one in the movie Dr. Strangelove would have to be facilities that one builds and when for example your country is nuked, it explodes contaminating the entire globe, but radioactive fallout has not been modeled to the game I think. There is no weather model and no model for having natural or man-made disasters. Such a model could be implemented in the future. A weather engine could simulate the radioactive clouds as they travel accross the world and render areas uninhabitable, just make the population die or leave as the cloud enters the hex, also agriculture would be disturbed, so if you want to starve the enemy, then nuke all his arable land and turn his farms into radioactive wasteland.

Of course technology gives us methods of cleaning up radioactive fallout and that could be done by engineering units.
Onthebeach
Lieutenant

Post by Onthebeach »

What? Toe to Toe nooklear confron-tation with the Russkies and NO radiation? Please, BattleGoat, we gotta have RADS.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

If they ever implment radaition, a simple mod would fix the problem, by giving everyone jacketed nuclear weapons, which would produce enough radation to achieve a similar affect.

Of course, such a system could be implmented in now, but it would affect cities/population and soft targets more then hard targets and ships.
flashy
Lieutenant

Post by flashy »

I prefer no radiation, I got sick of wasting my time decontaminating hexes/tiles in the Civ2 days
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Yeah but this game is called "Cold War"... You would have thought that RADS would be included as standard!
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”