French Fail in Vietnam

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

RPHKUSA
Sergeant
Human: Yes

French Fail in Vietnam

Post by RPHKUSA »

The French continuously fail at traveling through the country despite having what in game is a massive superiority. My solution would be to have a road connect the two cities or at least create a bridge over the river allowing the French AI to have a direct assault instead of bunching up over the hills. Image
Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Re: French Fail in Vietnam

Post by Fistalis »

French aren't smart enough to produce amphibious units.. no need to hold their hand they'll figure it out by the mid to late 60's :wink:

Terrain is an important part of war.. if they changed it everytime the AI had an issue we would be playing on a flat map with no oceans full of roads. They will get around it or bring in amphibious units eventually.(not to mention the historic context of whether there was a road/bridge there)

Edit: I was playing the french the other day.. the issue is bad supply in that zone.. if/when they send some supply trucks/planes they do fine.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: French Fail in Vietnam

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Fistalis wrote: Edit: I was playing the french the other day.. the issue is bad supply in that zone.. if/when they send some supply trucks/planes they do fine.
Agree. The French need move fast from the south northward to take initial advantage of what units are in Vietnam,
before new units can arrive by sea to seal the fate of guerrilla units and other towns - take the capital first.

There should be a direct road & bridge to Yen Bai Airfield...just a map design failure. Take the airfield soonest, even
if you have to go around the long route northward thru the jungle. It insures this northern sector falls to France in a
relatively short period of time.

Also lacking were the several French-built versions of the Ju-52 transport in Vietnam (in original orbat draft but not
included in initial SR-CW version...not played with Updates, so maybe they are there now. Use them for Air Supply...
makes the going up north faster. Also move the P-63 Kingcobra fighter-bomber units into the Hanoi Airfield for air
support of any effort involving taking North Vietnamese capital or other cities...especially after artillery and infantry
have reduced enemy ground units to red-line status.

For France, also worthwhile to activate the battleship RICHELIEU or JEAN BART (better due to range) and send to
Saigon, then move it north for offshore gunfire support if trying to take Hon Gay coastal port/town.[Leave the French cruisers at home...to short legged for crossing the Indian Ocean to South China Sea/Gulf of Tonkin.]

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”