Map Deposits and Map Errors

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Jopo
Captain
Human: Yes

Map Deposits and Map Errors

Post by Jopo »

I have some notes about the map deposits:

1.) Where are all the undersea oil fields of North sea and Norway? I´ve looked at the map and Norway has absolutely no oilfieds although the country is swimming in oil wealth from the North sea oil rigs? Add some oilfields to oceanic locations, so they can be accessed when deep sea oil drilling techs develop. You can research known oil fields and add some speculations where future oil fields might reside, hey there´s even some oil in Finland, Italy, France etc.

2.) Finland needs A LOT more forests as do Canada and Sweden, those countries are completely covered in dense forests, but the lumber deposits are scattered around like dots, when the whole country should be painted red with lumber. The way I look at the map, I see more forests in Central Europe, Italy and Japan than In Finland and that´s not right. Everyone knows that Finland is a MAJOR forestry nation, we practically live from our forests, so where is our timber? There should be more timber hexes in Finland and they should be REDDER, that is they should be DENSE deposits, all of them, heck even ENGLAND has more timber than Finland and they hacked all their woods down to build ships hundreds of years ago.

3.) Where are the rivers of Ostrobothnia and the major lakes of south-central Finland? If you look at the map you see several rivers running along the west coast of Finland. Not exactly Missisippi scale rivers , but they are still there and so are Lake Saimaa (the largest lake in Finland, missing from the map) and Lake Päijänne (the second largest), both of these are major fresh water deposits as well, the city of Helsinki takes its drinking water from Päijänne via a long aqueduct.

4.) if the rivers are navigable by ships, then there should be a channel running from Leningrad via lake Laatokka (Ladoga) north via the other lakes all the way to the White sea near Archangelsk, its called the Stalin´s channel and it was built using Gulag prisoners in the 30´s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sea_–_Baltic_Canal This channel links Leningrad (St. Petersburg) to the White sea in the north.

5.) Also Finland should have a LOT of fresh water supplies from the thousand lakes we have all across the country, Finland should NEVER run out of fresh water.

6.) I think you could also add some farmland to Finland, Sweden etc. it´s a bit scattered, also the farmlands in Central Europe are probably of a bit better quality than those in the north, so Polan, Germany, France etc. should have their farmlands painted with deeper shades of red. Mongolia is also starved of farmland, although there is pretty much nothing more than steppe, but grass grows there, so you can have cattle farms.

7.) Also there are large areas of plains in Brazil which are totally infertile, you can probably grow SOMETHING over there.

8.) Please remove the rail bridge linking Sakhalin Island to mainland Siberia in the Soviet Far East, the strait is just too wide (2 hexes) to be crossed by a bridge, it´s unrealistic.

more if I think of any.
Hakuren
Warrant Officer

Re: Map Deposits and Map Errors

Post by Hakuren »

I'm feeling your pain. There is so much nonsense when it comes to resources. There is no need to dwell too much, so only look at Europe with few basic resources.

1. Jopo raised the point about forests. Virtually whole Northern Europe and most of Central Europe should be covered with deep-red (6 buildings of one kind) hexes. Water also need serious love (Northern/Central/Southern Europe)
2. Agriculture - when you look at Poland (Western in particular), East Germany, East Ukraine it looks like desolate, barren surface of a Moon. You can count deep-red on 2 hands which is simply ridiculous.
3. Coal - In particular with regard to Poland lack of coal deposits is hilarious. To this day Poland is 8th biggest coal producer in the world. Excluding USSR/Russia (deposits are in Asia) it is the largest producer of coal in Europe by faaaar.
4. Oil - where are all oil rich fields from Romania? Aliens stole it... probably.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Hakuren wrote:I'm feeling your pain. There is so much nonsense when it comes to resources. There is no need to dwell too much, so only look at Europe with few basic resources.

3. Coal - In particular with regard to Poland lack of coal deposits is hilarious. To this day Poland is 8th biggest coal producer in the world. Excluding USSR/Russia (deposits are in Asia) it is the largest producer of coal in Europe by faaaar.
4. Oil - where are all oil rich fields from Romania? Aliens stole it... probably.
I'll ignore the first 2 complaints because they are pretty subjective.
However
Poland has quite a few coal hexes.. and romania has lots of petrol hexes But these two don't make sense. Polands coal deposits are actually quite small, and so is romanias oil deposits.. if anything they should reduce the numbers of hexes for these.

Deep reds are only used for extremely rich deposits of a resource, not every deposit is going to be deep red. The map data is based on proven reserves in most cases. So while romania does have 600m bbl of proven oil reserves (#43 in the world) its spread out. Same goes with polans coal deposits. (which only account for 1.5% of the worlds coal)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Jopo
Captain

Post by Jopo »

I´ll give some additional justification to adding more forests to Finland and making them deep red.

From the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Finland

Forests play a key role in the country's economy, making it one of the world's leading wood producers and providing raw materials at competitive prices for the crucial wood-processing industries. As in agriculture, the government has long played a leading role in forestry, regulating tree cutting, sponsoring technical improvements, and establishing long-term plans to ensure that the country's forests continue to supply the wood-processing industries.

Finland's wet climate and rocky soils are ideal for forests. Tree stands do well throughout the country, except in some areas north of the Arctic Circle. In 1980 the forested area totaled about 19.8 million hectares, providing 4 hectares of forest per capita—far above the European average of about 0.5 hectares. The proportion of forest land varied considerably from region to region. In the central lake plateau and in the eastern and northern provinces, forests covered up to 80 percent of the land area, but in areas with better conditions for agriculture, especially in the southwest, forests accounted for only 50 to 60 percent of the territory. The main commercial tree species—pine, spruce, and birch—supplied raw material to the sawmill, pulp, and paper industries. The forests also produced sizable aspen and elder crops.

As you can see, the forests in Finland make us a top producer of timber, but by the looks of the map we are way below for example Japan, which has a lot more forest hexes and deeper reds than us. Maybe they thought that naturally nothing grows in the north as well as in the south, but our forests grow very well indeed. To this day our forests are growing faster than we can harvest them, at least to my knowledge, so there is no danger of deforestation here.

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”