Entrench as a movement modifier (like Formation Move)

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Fogsight
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Entrench as a movement modifier (like Formation Move)

Post by Fogsight »

That would solve a lot of problems for players who like to take charge of their forces.

Entrench right now is the only way to make sure your stacks won't move away when some other unit passing through them. This is especially annoying when allies present near by and constantly breaking your formations forcing to use "entrench" on every stack.

And when it comes to using "entrench" on every stack, it has to be selected every time from the menu for every unit, while being situated between "reserve" and "split unit" commands. So from time to time after issuing hundreds times "entrench" orders I find some of my units reserving or being split.

The last one much more annoying because you can't visually detect split/understrength unit, and would have to inspect every unit closely to chase them down. Later in the game is impossible task. To point out why this is bad, understrength unit much likely to be destroyed and moves at different speed (faster refuel) breaking formations.
Legend
General

Re: Entrench as a movement modifier (like Formation Move)

Post by Legend »

there easy ways to do what you want...

1) rubber band, then pick "land units" then pick the order... and then "give order to selected unit" in UNIT ORDERS.
2) Pick some units... then hold the keyboard key CTRL and pick units in other hexes... the new units get added to the selection. If you happen to pick hexes with air units, go to step "1" above.

Does this help?

- Daxon
Fogsight
Warrant Officer

Re: Entrench as a movement modifier (like Formation Move)

Post by Fogsight »

I am using "Formation move" with selected orders where I can, to reduce the amount of clicking and aware of selection options. This is still equates to fair amount of unnecessary mouse activity. Which can be easily fixed by making "Entrench" option in the form of "checkbox" button, like "formation move".

Or introduce similar movement mode like "Sentry" which would allow to prevent units from moving from disturbed full stacks.

This also brings up another point where you can't always use "formation move" when you need to move it odd number of columns -- your forces position shifts, breaking formation.

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”