A Steam-y question...

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: A Steam-y question...

Post by Balthagor »

@fistalis - If there is not an official CD label, I'll make something for you ;)

@Darkrajin - honestly, no idea. Best to ask on the Paradox forum around the time of release. Getting into the various markets is Paradox's job as publisher. They try hard, but some markets remain stubborn about quality strategy games. We make the game here in Canada and have been unable to get the Gold Edition into our own stores. |O
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Darkrajin
Warrant Officer

Post by Darkrajin »

lol thanks for answering =) I wouldn't be surprised if they don't while annoying it is understandable Australia only has a population of 22 million and the gaming population is not large =(
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

I have not read through entire thread so sorry if repeating.

I would have thought your best option is to have your own direct download capability in addition to paradox/steam.

There are other small dev teams out their that have their own direct download that started with just two guys.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

dust off wrote:I have not read through entire thread so sorry if repeating.

I would have thought your best option is to have your own direct download capability in addition to paradox/steam.

There are other small dev teams out their that have their own direct download that started with just two guys.
I think they mentioned that they do have a small direct download partner that will make the game available when it's released. I forget who they said it was but I know they said you would be able to find them from their main website page. So sounds like they've got that covered. :)
jomni
Warrant Officer

Post by jomni »

I'm neutral but prefer to skip Steam's clunky client (takes a lot of time to load) if I have the choice.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

jomni wrote:I'm neutral but prefer to skip Steam's clunky client (takes a lot of time to load) if I have the choice.
I found Steam a pain for mods and reinstalls.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

dust off wrote: I found Steam a pain for mods and reinstalls.
I have not really moded many of my steam game. Infact I think the only one has been ARMA II. and there was no difference when I played the moded or non moded version. Acualy I had black ops moded for single player zombies too. and no issue with that.

Reinstalls as I am told are acualy very easy. Just go into your steamapps folder and back up common folder. Then when you want to reinstall, install steam. then place that backed up copy of the common folder into the steamapps folder and walla, you are reinstalled. You dont have to re DL the entire game.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

I think he meant for reinstalling the individual games and not the steam application itself. Such as if he was running a modded version of a game that recommends being installed over a fresh copy of the game. I have heard of issues with uninstalling before but in honesty, I can't really fathom what they might be. Just that I've heard some have experienced them.

The only issue I can possibly see in regards to reinstalling is if you want to play with an outdated patch for whatever reason, whether that's because the new patch introduced problems that you consider gamebreaking or because whatever mod you use hasn't been updated yet. Yes I know you can tell the steam app not to automatically update your games for you, but in the event you make the mistake and let it only to find out the problem later, you're now stuck with that patch. At least when I used steam last anyway. When it installs the game it always installs it in it's most updated version which means that once the game is patched, there is no going back to an older version. So now you are forced to play with that gamebreaking bug or without your favorite mod until the bug is squashed in the next patch or the mod is updated. That scenario would upset me a great deal.

But it's all moot anyway as we're likely going to have a none steam version so I'm not worried. :)
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Yea wanting to play an older version of the game is an issue. Your stuck with what ever version is the current when you install. plus any furture updates. However I cant remember the last time I prefered an older version of the game instead of the most updated (although it has happend in the past).

I do have a question reguarding the steam updates for SR CW via steam. Will they be just patches or full installs? For instance a game like black ops, when a new patch comes along it just updates the files. But a game like America's Army, it basicaly reinstalls the entire game when there is a new update.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Ruges wrote:...I do have a question reguarding the steam updates for SR CW...
Too early to know.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

I know one thing, if there's a Direct Download game and I have a choice
I pick developer site first:
then Gamers Gate
Only last resort Steam.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Side note, I personally think the reason steam is so keen on linking physical copies of games to its service is it takes away the reason people would buy a physical copy in the first place,that is to avoid using the steam service, and having a copy that doesn't require permission from them to play.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Balthagor wrote:
Ruges wrote:...I do have a question reguarding the steam updates for SR CW...
Too early to know.
You might want to look into this. The Witcher 2 just came out in steam the other week. it was a 16GB game. The next week a 9GB patch came out (retail patch was only like 100MB), week after that anouther small patch dont remember the size but only a couple GB. Then again yesterday anouther 9GB patch. And I hear there is supposed to be anouther 9GB patch this next week. Thats way to much downloading. And acualy has quite a few people upset about it. Even I have been upset since its hard for me to DL a 9GB patch when I am on the road. its no problem when I am at home.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The final decision for the initial retail release of SRCW is that the boxed version will not require steam. Thank you everybody for your comments.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Balthagor wrote:The final decision for the initial retail release of SRCW is that the boxed version will not require steam. Thank you everybody for your comments.
Awesome, at least now we can get on with playing it after July 19th
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”