A Steam-y question...

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: A Steam-y question...

Post by way2co0l »

Ah, oops, yes I did miss that. You don't have to though, not sure if he realizes or not. Once you download the first time, prior to installing the game, if you copy the game files to disk at that point prior to actually installing the game, then you won't need to login to the net again to reinstall it. I think that's why I missed when he said it, because I knew you didn't have to login beyond the initial download.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

way2co0l wrote:Ah, oops, yes I did miss that. You don't have to though, not sure if he realizes or not. Once you download the first time, prior to installing the game, if you copy the game files to disk at that point prior to actually installing the game, then you won't need to login to the net again to reinstall it. I think that's why I missed when he said it, because I knew you didn't have to login beyond the initial download.
According to gamers gate you do need momentary internet connection to run the installer. Impulse anywhere lets you do an install to a machine that doesn't have internet.. but as far as i know only stardock programs/games are available on impulse anywhere. So that's pretty much a moot point.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Fistalis wrote:
way2co0l wrote:Ah, oops, yes I did miss that. You don't have to though, not sure if he realizes or not. Once you download the first time, prior to installing the game, if you copy the game files to disk at that point prior to actually installing the game, then you won't need to login to the net again to reinstall it. I think that's why I missed when he said it, because I knew you didn't have to login beyond the initial download.
According to gamers gate you do need momentary internet connection to run the installer. Impulse anywhere lets you do an install to a machine that doesn't have internet.. but as far as i know only stardock programs/games are available on impulse anywhere. So that's pretty much a moot point.
Hmmmm, that's interesting. I didn't realize you where supposed to have to reconnect simply because I've never needed to. I didn't realize it wasn't an intended feature. As such I will shut my mouth about it. lol
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

[_]OT While i'm thinking about it.. does the disc version of sr2020 require an internet check? If not i need to get a physical copy of it. So I can add one more game to the list of games I could play if my internet was gone and I had to reinstall.
Last edited by Fistalis on Mar 28 2011, edited 1 time in total.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Fistalis wrote:[_]OT While i'm thinking about it.. does the disc version of sr2020 require an internet check? If not i need to get a physical copy of it.
I got mine from GG so I really can't say for certain what the boxed copy had. I don't think so though. I'm pretty sure the whole discussion for steam was pretty much a first time thing so I'm pretty positive there's no net check. There's a CD key if I remember correctly though.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Fistalis wrote:[_]OT While i'm thinking about it.. does the disc version of sr2020 require an internet check? If not i need to get a physical copy of it. So I can add one more game to the list of games I could play if my internet was gone and I had to reinstall.
It does not. And, as I mentioned, ask again closer to release. I would not be surprised if one of the DD retails offers a SR-CW version that, once downloaded, never again requires activation. The current SR2020 version that you by directly from the BattleGoat website is a vendor that requires no internet validation. You only need to log in to the website to get the installer. Once you've downloaded it, you don't need further internet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
nghtmre15
Major

Post by nghtmre15 »

Fistalis wrote:See this I just don't understand. Why would you want to register your game on steam if you choose to buy it from someone else. Why not just purchase it from steam if that's what you want.
Typically, any game that requires Steam activation at retail will have a CD key that can be activated on Steam, regardless of where you actually bought the game from. It tends to apply to indie games (such as AI War or SpaceChem), where buying from the creator directly will also get you a key to activate on Steam. Hence the question (which, again, I do not expect anyone to have an answer to, but something I wanted to put on the table) as to whether or not a non-retail, non-Steam SRCW key will activate on Steam. When it's allowed, it gives you the best of both worlds.

I will say that a game requiring Steam activation for retail copies but not for other digitally distributed copies is extremely unusual as it's usually an all-or-nothing commitment, which is ultimately what prompted this particular question. I don't particularly mind either way, but it would be nice to know when an answer is available.
In a world without sound, dancing... falling... I was snow.
Smurfy
Sergeant

Post by Smurfy »

nghtmre15 wrote:
Fistalis wrote:See this I just don't understand. Why would you want to register your game on steam if you choose to buy it from someone else. Why not just purchase it from steam if that's what you want.
Typically, any game that requires Steam activation at retail will have a CD key that can be activated on Steam, regardless of where you actually bought the game from. It tends to apply to indie games (such as AI War or SpaceChem), where buying from the creator directly will also get you a key to activate on Steam. Hence the question (which, again, I do not expect anyone to have an answer to, but something I wanted to put on the table) as to whether or not a non-retail, non-Steam SRCW key will activate on Steam. When it's allowed, it gives you the best of both worlds.

I will say that a game requiring Steam activation for retail copies but not for other digitally distributed copies is extremely unusual as it's usually an all-or-nothing commitment, which is ultimately what prompted this particular question. I don't particularly mind either way, but it would be nice to know when an answer is available.
Totally agree. When I brought Empire: Total War on a Retail disc, I put the key on steam and it even kept my retail game updated for me. Surely you could do a similar kind of set-up? I'd recommend asking valve about it, what's the worse they can say, screw you? This would give two options firstly, retail and steam, with retail working with steam.

Also, those who buy their game off a digital download site probably know how to get patches from said website. So if I was in your shoes, it wouldn't be a concern because they would be able to manually install their patches. This would be the third option and I believe that covers most people's needs? A steam-compatible retail is my vote.
powercell
Colonel

Post by powercell »

If there is a non-Steam version, then I'm covered.

To me, hard copy that is Steam compatible is much better than hard copy that required Steam.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

powercell wrote:If there is a non-Steam version, then I'm covered.

To me, hard copy that is Steam compatible is much better than hard copy that required Steam.
Agreed..
and with Gamestops acquisition of Impulse :-( i guess gamersgate it is
Last edited by Fistalis on Apr 01 2011, edited 2 times in total.
grat2112
Sergeant

Post by grat2112 »

Wow! I am just too far out of the loop on this stuff. :-(
So answer me a question... If I buy cold war from say gamersgate, then I end up at Ft. Riley for the weekend, out in the field with no internet and I try to play cold war... is it going to work??

I am like Fistalis I guess... from the trend I am seeing here, I will probably stop buying new games completely in the near future. If I can't just go buy the disk, bring it home (to ANY computer, internet connected or not) and play it, then I don't really want it. IMHO having any 3rd party involved in that is just stupid :-?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

grat2112 wrote:...If I buy cold war from say gamersgate...is it going to work??
YES.

If you purchase from GamersGate you only need the internet to GET the program. Once installed, there is no need for internet connection.

And even if you buy the boxed copy you can do it, with a bit more effort. Before leaving for base, set your copy of Steam to "offline mode". You could do that as soon as the installation is done if you prefer.

Now if your machine dies while on base and you do a windows reload, you won't be able to get Supreme Ruler installed without some kind of internet connection IF you purchased from one of the above mentioned services.

If, at the time of release, you purchase from a retailer such as Ztorm (linked from our main site) you could download the installer and burn that to a disc. From that point forward, we could go post apocalyptic with no internet and you could still uninstall/reinstall your copy of the game as much as you like...

... until your battery runs out or the mutants get you ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
grat2112
Sergeant

Post by grat2112 »

Any mutant that gets within 20 foot of my game-playing laptop is gonna REGRET it!!! :evil: :wink:

Understand about the laptop crashing or something... that is different and understandable.

As for doing it with steam... I just am not going to involve a 3rd party. What I am hearing on here about what steam is sounds kinda neat, but it is not for me. I'm just too "old school".

The last thing you talk about is great, I have no problem with that at all. I can understand that boxed sets are going away before long, as production costs and such can be a killer, while only selling it online does away with alot of those costs. I realize that day is coming fairly soon, so I can deal with downloading and burning it to disk. That way I get my hard copy :-)

Thank you for answering so quickly :-)
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote: If, at the time of release, you purchase from a retailer such as Ztorm (linked from our main site) you could download the installer and burn that to a disc. From that point forward, we could go post apocalyptic with no internet and you could still uninstall/reinstall your copy of the game as much as you like...

... until your battery runs out or the mutants get you ;)
Looks like Ztorm would be my prefered method.. i'll double check before purchasing once its released to confirm thats still the case.
Anyway i could get a Blank CD from you with the CD art on it and the rest of the boxed goodies.. lol make my own damned clean CD version with Ztorm.. :wink:
Darkrajin
Warrant Officer

Post by Darkrajin »

that reminds me, while unlikely =( will there be a box version released in Australia? It might cost me twice as much. In America if you pay $50 for a game, then in Australia we will pay $100 even with our dollar being at parody lol, it would not bother me, I just want my hands on a box....

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”