Looking at this pic,it sure looks like "impassable" terrain

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Looking at this pic,it sure looks like "impassable" terrain

Post by tkobo »

is in.
mountian pic.jpg
Look at those mountain hexes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Hundane
General

Re: Looking at this pic,it sure looks like "impassable" terr

Post by Hundane »

I was kinda thinking the same thing, was hoping to see more screenshots though before I got my hopes up.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I dont see how they could place a ground non-foot unit in those mountains hexes and have it not look extremely odd.The mountains are 3d,so unless the unit was placed as slanted on the slope of the mountain,or the unit clipped into the mountain itself,or on top of it like a cherry,none of which i think the devs would pick, and all of which would look bad ,i dont see how a unit could be represented in such a hex while keeping the units also 3d design.

And i think even a foot ground unit would look very odd in said hexes.

Now i know this is alpha we are looking at, and i know they like to stay close to the vest about game info til they know for certain its implementation.....but this seems very cut and dry to me.
Chuckle TM
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

That's a good looking shot of the new map. Am impressed.
comrade.seawolf
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

Post by comrade.seawolf »

I'm very impressed by the new look to :-)
I'm only a few miles away from those mountains (the Rockies in Southern California), and it's certainly not easy to get any sort of vehicle up there without roads. I could see dismounted units getting up there fairly easy, although the would be quite slower. I think the new mountains will give much more feel to having the high ground advantage, whereas now I always forget about high ground. Still, tkobo's right, any sort of unit would look pretty strange there :lol:
Perhaps they could become invisible to view, such as when a unit is entrenched in a city? the mountains would give a somewhat better defensive advantage vs flat ground, just like cities do.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Thats actually not a bad solution.It not only deals with the possible look issue, but it also promotes entrenchment.
Chuckle TM
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

comrade.seawolf wrote: I'm only a few miles away from those mountains (the Rockies in Southern California), and it's certainly not easy to get any sort of vehicle up there without roads. I could see dismounted units getting up there fairly easy, although the would be quite slower. I think the new mountains will give much more feel to having the high ground advantage, whereas now I always forget about high ground. Still, tkobo's right, any sort of unit would look pretty strange there :lol:
Perhaps they could become invisible to view, such as when a unit is entrenched in a city? the mountains would give a somewhat better defensive advantage vs flat ground, just like cities do.
Rockies in SoCal? Don't you mean Sierra Nevadas?

If you tried to take dismounted infantry up those hills it would slow them down considerable. There would be nothing easy about it. And they wouldn't be able to resupply, except by air. And you wouldn't have to defeat them, just go around them. While they are sitting up in the mountains you can overrun all the territory that actually has value, cut them off from resupply and let them starve to death.
"We can only end this cycle of violence by crushing it completely...and taking their oil."
comrade.seawolf
Lt. Colonel

Slash78 wrote:Rockies in SoCal? Don't you mean Sierra Nevadas?
You're right, I am a little too far west to be next to the Rockies. I always mix up the two :oops:
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

So the developers have left the satellite imagery in favour of a more traditional digital representation of the landscape?

Not an improvement in my book - I dont much care for 3D just for the sake of pretty pixels...
comrade.seawolf
Lt. Colonel

nick-bang wrote:So the developers have left the satellite imagery in favour of a more traditional digital representation of the landscape?

Not an improvement in my book - I dont much care for 3D just for the sake of pretty pixels...
Given the mini-map in the pic, I think they will still have the satellite imagery, but have incorporated some 3-D aspects. So when you zoom out (this screenshot is pretty zoomed in), It will probably look just like the current satellite image.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

I think some terrain that is "impassable", should still be to some degree passable with foot soldiers and some terrains should give gradual defencive advantages to defending units the further up the mountains go, mountainous terrain are easier to defend and hide in.. Also at sea, smaller vessels should get bonuses from archipelagos, small vessels are more protected and is harder to get spotted. At air, the weather should has some effects.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

comrade.seawolf wrote:
nick-bang wrote:So the developers have left the satellite imagery in favour of a more traditional digital representation of the landscape?

Given the mini-map in the pic, I think they will still have the satellite imagery, but have incorporated some 3-D aspects. So when you zoom out (this screenshot is pretty zoomed in), It will probably look just like the current satellite image.
Lets hope that ... otherwise it will just look like innumerable other strategy games...
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

terrain.jpg
Looks like rails can run between mountain tops ?I wonder if they can run thru them.....tunnels....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuckle TM
michael63000
Colonel

Post by michael63000 »

tkobo wrote:
terrain.jpg
Looks like rails can run between mountain tops ?I wonder if they can run thru them.....tunnels....
June 24 of what Year? There's no year, why? The year!
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

michael63000 wrote:
tkobo wrote:
terrain.jpg
June 24 of what Year? There's no year, why? The year!
Open your eyes, it's an alpha shot.

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”