Recruiting Soldiers and CONSCRIPTION

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

ainsworth74
Colonel

Re: Recruiting Soldiers and CONSCRIPTION

Post by ainsworth74 »

How quickly do you think you could conscript someone? A week? A Month? 3 Months?

Personally I think there should be the option of determining the length of conscript training, so you can go down the route of grabbing people of the streets, this would lead to a quick manpower growth but a big big hit to DAR and military efficiency or the route of giving them 6 months training for instance leading to a lower DAR and efficiency hit.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

michael63000 wrote:But SR2020 Conscription is very slow.
So is conscription IRL and ppl keep asking us to make the game "realistic".
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
michael63000
Colonel

Post by michael63000 »

Iraq Conscripted 1,000,000 soldiers in just under 20 years.
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

michael63000 wrote:Iraq Conscripted 1,000,000 soldiers in just under 20 years.
Which is only 50,000 per year or about 4000 month or even only 140 people per day. It still isn't particularly quick.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Balthagor wrote:
michael63000 wrote:But SR2020 Conscription is very slow.
So is conscription IRL and ppl keep asking us to make the game "realistic".
I don't think that it is necessarilly slow. There are examples of quick conscription of cannon fodder.

Conscript armies vs smaller professional armies with trained reserves was a strategic element of the Cold War.

If reserve formations was developed a little it would gos some way to give that feel. UK Territorial Army formation made up about a third of anticipated BAOR strength in Hot war scenario. HoI does this by being able to bulid reserve formations which are lower strength when at peace.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

I know south africa has used three time frame for basic traning

:3 monthes: the instrucs said it felt a bet rushed but you leav with the ablity to survive in the defence force

:6 month the beast of the three

:1year felt to be to long

Note this is for basic training not mustring/job traing examply basic infatry traing is 6 months, protecion part 1 (the dudes protecting the base/unit) 10 weeks
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

In Norway it is one year where 3 months are basic training. Personally I had 6 months Jaeger practice then 6 months patrolling the Russian\Norwegian border. The 6 months Jaeger practice I had is usually done over the course of one year for other Jaegers.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

Eldin wrote:In Norway it is one year where 3 months are basic training. Personally I had 6 months Jaeger practice then 6 months patrolling the Russian\Norwegian border. The 6 months Jaeger practice I had is usually done over the course of one year for other Jaegers.
Jaegers?

So the fastis you can train a civlin in to a combat solder that will be a threat is 6 months. Of all these mas consripts how many are real miltrie and not some civlin with a wepon sent to die and not to fight.

CPO Mzinyati
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

SoB wrote: Jaegers?

So the fastis you can train a civlin in to a combat solder that will be a threat is 6 months. Of all these mas consripts how many are real miltrie and not some civlin with a wepon sent to die and not to fight.
That is the thing with conscripts and why they should be differentiated from enlisted personnel seeing as how the morale of a conscripted soldier tend to be lower than an enlisted soldier.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

Yes but not all conscript are the same i mean with my limted trainig and experince i could train a dieing machin in 1 to 2 weeks but i would want fight along side one because it will get me killed. (or kill me when it derserts)(who will lead them or though you could just put a machingun behind them say run(and see them all defect for tboko to rant about)) Now compair that to conscript who recved 3 to 6 monthes training. The fact is no mater how you get your civie turning it in to a solder taks time

CPO Mzinyati
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

What is a jaeger? Google search reavled nothing relvent

CPO Mzinyati
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Think "light infantry" ,often with a wilderness slant.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Cutlass
Major

Post by Cutlass »

The British Army at the start of World War I was a relatively small, professional, long service force. IIRC their training standard was to be able to fire 20 aimed rounds a minute using a bolt action rifle with a 15 round magazine that could be replenished with 5 round stripper clips. At they very beginning of the war the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) was able to break up German infantry attacks with their rifle fire alone at ranges of around 800 yards. The German units thought they were encountering machine gun fire. Obviously as World War I progressed the rate at which the Brits and the other forces engaged sustained casualties was such that the training standards and the effectiveness of the forces in question dropped through time.

A further digression is that the saying was that during WWI, "The Germans had the best hunting rifle, the Americans had the best target rifle and the British had the best battle rifle."

On another subject IIRC in the German army the "Jaeger Corps" is a Special Forces equivalent unit. Apparently not quite so much in the Norwegian Army, though according to Eldin they're getting about twice the training time the regular Norwegian units are. Still not a unit you'd want to casually mess with.

Also note, just to be persnickety :-) , that while conscript units on average might very well have lower morale than their "regular" counterparts, that might not always be the case. The experience of US combat units during WWII was that the draftees on average had the attitude that they were there to get the job done and then go home. Not feeling overly constrained as a result having years of experience being forced to conform to "military" standards, they tended to be more tactically innovative and exercise more initiative than would otherwise have been the case. Granted that such innovations did not always work that well, but the result was that they tended to be somewhat "unpredictable" from the viewpoint of their opponents. Regardless, I read from multiple sources that the quality of US combat forces declined significantly after the war when the draftees went home, and various different organizational slots were then filled by people who wouldn't have been good enough to get assigned those duties during the war, but they were staying in the military while more capable draftees were getting out.

If the developers wanted to try to take this sort of thing into account, there could be a variable effectiveness factor that could be applied to conscript units based on a region's DAR. The higher the DAR, the more effective their conscript units would be, and vice versa.
Proud member of the Spherical World Association. An organization dedicated to encouraging game designers to create state of the art strategy games in which the actual shape of the world is used.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

I agrea with the DAR since if the public suports the war thene it will not mind the draft. I all so bielf that consciption should lower DAR meaning the longer you coscript the lower low the DAR lower the moral.

CPO Mzinyati
UchihaMadara971
Lieutenant

Post by UchihaMadara971 »

I would suggest conscription in terms of rounding up men to add to reserves or to active military staff. Not a consript unit, nor anything else. I am looking for a way to click a button, then suddenly in 1 in-game week, 800 million men are in service (from China). Can you add such a button of "Levée en Masse", in which mass mobilization of troops is possible?

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”