Trade & Economics

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Trade & Economics

Post by Balthagor »

BlackEagle wrote:Another question about economics, will we see a realistic economic growth, that wasn't assured in SR2020? How are you thinking to assure that? Just through math formulas or with several variables? Will we see elections in the countries that will allow different leaders, with different skills, to assume control of a country and lead it according its own caracteristics boosting or not the country and its growth?
This is another of those questions we simply can't answer at this stage, we're still developing these systems.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BlackEagle
Captain
Human: Yes

Post by BlackEagle »

I ask this because if we are talking about a game that will be played for 50 or 60 in game years, we cannot have an economy that almost doesn't change in this time frame... it wouldn't be realistic. And i understand that it can be difficult to implement this idea, because i don't know if you have math formulas that allow countries to have different growth performances, and that's why i talked about leaders with several caracteristics, that allow them to lead their country in different ways, boost its economy, emphasysing social, military, economic, or other kind of spending...

You could make a data base of party leaders (fictional or not), with different skills, that would be elected or selected, to govern the countries.

Just another idea.
pzkpfw
Sergeant

Post by pzkpfw »

I played a lot at SR2020 and in my opinion the use of the navy isn’t proportioned at the cost that I need to afford to build my ships. The commerce also is too immediate and it isn’t realistic the immediate transfer of goods. My idea is to use commercial route to simulate convoys that I can attack with the navy. Now in my last game at SR2020 with North Korea I destroyed the southern navy and I’m master at the sea but they continue to import, often for free, a lot of goods! In few words this is my idea:
- Nation that aren’t bordering need to use convoy from a port to another
- There are two way to simulate convoy: 1) the first is more abstract and like in HOI3 we can have some route (line in the game) that shows the main convoy route and I can assign ship to attack them. I can assign or build transport ship to assign at the commerce pool, this will give me a transport capacity proportioned at the space that the sum of cargos in commerce pool have. If one of these routes is attacked the player will receive a message with the coordinate of the last attack and the losses. This system don’t need a lot of cpu’s work and the amount bought can be added (or reduced if sell) at the end of the day. 2) Second plan involve the use of the commercial and transport ship that there are in game and put them in navigation across the sea. This solution can be very realistic (think about the creation of convoys) but I’m a bit worried about the work that the cpu need to do to manage thousand or ships.
- An option to decide which nation will use the transports could be also cool. A standard rule can be: the nations that buy the goods need to have the right amount of “cargo capacity” for the transaction. But in some special case like ally or united nation the propriety of cargos can be different.
- Rules of convoy engagement: I can choose three kinds of behaviours for my attack 1) Sunk only enemy cargos 2) sunk all cargos that transport goods to my enemy 3) Threat to sink neutral cargo if they didn’t suspend the transport (the nation threatened can be accept if have good relation with the attacker and not so good with the destination of goods). In last two cases can be added a a casus belli to the nation that lost the cargo ship versus the attacker and a smaller cb for the threat.
I know that is a dream see a convoy system like that (in some aspect is similar to HOI3) but can add a new value at the war at sea! The option of transport pool is very abstract and can be easily implemented, I hope..
nghtmre15
Major

Post by nghtmre15 »

pzkpfw wrote:- There are two way to simulate convoy: 1) the first is more abstract and like in HOI3 we can have some route (line in the game) that shows the main convoy route and I can assign ship to attack them. I can assign or build transport ship to assign at the commerce pool, this will give me a transport capacity proportioned at the space that the sum of cargos in commerce pool have. If one of these routes is attacked the player will receive a message with the coordinate of the last attack and the losses. This system don’t need a lot of cpu’s work and the amount bought can be added (or reduced if sell) at the end of the day.
The HOI3 convoy system works because the world's oceans are composed of large zones, of which there are a fairly limited number. In this way, a convoy traveling from North America to Europe would travel through about 20 zones. Submarines and surface raiders existing in these particular zones inflict losses on convoys that pass through them, so that's 20 extra zones that the game has to check every day for enemy presence. The same convoy in SR2020, as the closest reference point we have, would be over 300 hexes. That's a considerably larger impact that is due to the vast difference in scale between the two games, and that difference would have a very noticeable effect on Cold War's performance. And it goes without saying that there would be a considerable amount of development time retasked to an extremely complicated convoy system that I would much rather see abstracted in another way.
pzkpfw wrote:2) Second plan involve the use of the commercial and transport ship that there are in game and put them in navigation across the sea. This solution can be very realistic (think about the creation of convoys) but I’m a bit worried about the work that the cpu need to do to manage thousand or ships.
I would rather my AI opponents devote those CPU cycles to economic development, diplomatic maneuvering, or putting up a more effective resistance to my armies pouring across their border. I don't even want to imagine how much slowdown tens of thousands of convoy ships would cause, and how much micromanagement they would add to an already fairly micromanage-y game.
In a world without sound, dancing... falling... I was snow.

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”