New Game

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Roland040
Colonel

New Game

Post by Roland040 »

Hello ive just seen the notice on Paradox about your new game. So i just want to say all the best of luck in your new venture. I hope there ll be quite a bit of variety with this period, i hope China will be included as a major power bloc and a potential EU bloc as a possible superpower. Also as an interesting twist you could include an interesting scenario of the world that George Orwell included in his 1984 with four superpower blocs raging eternal war. One final thing i hope there be something in the way of waging wars by proxy sending covert forces into other countries and also a more indepth espionage capability. But good luck anyway.
George Geczy
General

Re: New Game

Post by George Geczy »

Thank you for the good-luck wishes.

We certainly intend to have espionage and proxy-conflicts take a role in the game, as they did in the Cold War itself.

Regarding China and the EU, certainly in the "Sandbox" mode of the game there are possibilities for these influences to have a larger effect, especially if the player changes history in a significant way. In the "Campaign" mode it's less likely, as that is the "NATO-versus-Warsaw Pact" game where the Superpowers are in the "win or lose" situation.

-- George.
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello thats alright. Just some ideas i want to ask; exactly what period or years will it cover? Will there be ICBM silos and theatre nuclear weapons, plus ABMs? And i guess it will be a challenge to start a conventional war without it turning nuclear? Finally will smaller countries start wars and the superpowers can get involved as well. Hope to hear from you soon thanks.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Roland040 wrote:what period or years will it cover?
The plan is to cover 1949 to the early 1990's.
Will there be ICBM silos and theatre nuclear weapons, plus ABMs?

There will be strategic nuclear weapons and weapon targeting. The exact nature of Anti-Ballistic Missiles is still being thought about.
And i guess it will be a challenge to start a conventional war without it turning nuclear?
I imagine we'll give some game startup options in this area... for example, in the Balance of Power game from the 1990s, Chris Crawford designed it so that Nuclear War could be triggered relatively easily, and he felt this was realistic, though many players were not fans of this gameplay mechanic. We'll put in what we believe to be most realistic, but give players some options here.
Finally will smaller countries start wars and the superpowers can get involved as well.
How can you have a Cold War without Korea. or Vietnam. or Afghanistan. or... well, yes, smaller wars are definitely an element.

-- George.

PS - One thing that's important to mention, and that we all will continue to mention over the next few months, is that the design of SRCW is still in flux and things are subject to change. Testing and evaluation will often result in things being modified and sometimes even throw out, so when we answer about potential game features today, those answers may be different when June 2011 arrives. We think this should be obvious, but sometimes the obvious deserves repeating :)
Communazi
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Post by Communazi »

on the subject of fallout, weren't most nuclear warheads capped at a certain yield to prevent any major fallout/nuclear apocalypse? 500kt or something. hence MIRV's and all that..
tedesco
Corporal

Post by tedesco »

George Geczy wrote: The plan is to cover 1949 to the early 1990's.
The date/tech-tree/units will stop here or will I be able to keep exploring the dark future?
Bist du blind, siehst du nicht
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

unknown at this time.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

byt early 1990's that means it must include 1993, so theres a possibility there might be a Bosnia/Somalia UN operation?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Mission Space wrote:byt early 1990's that means it must include 1993, so theres a possibility there might be a Bosnia/Somalia UN operation?
While the expectation is that players (in Sandbox mode) can "play on" past the end of the game's time period, events such as Bosnia or Somalia are not "Cold War" related events and so I can't see them being specifically targeted.
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

George Geczy wrote:
Mission Space wrote:byt early 1990's that means it must include 1993, so theres a possibility there might be a Bosnia/Somalia UN operation?
While the expectation is that players (in Sandbox mode) can "play on" past the end of the game's time period, events such as Bosnia or Somalia are not "Cold War" related events and so I can't see them being specifically targeted.
EDIT: stupid comment, already answered before.
Justice
Lieutenant

Post by Justice »

George Geczy said:
There will be strategic nuclear weapons and weapon targeting. The exact nature of Anti-Ballistic Missiles is still being thought about.

Some thoughts on this one:

Make it a money pit BUT it is a national goal (i.e. perception of complete safety from the other guy's nukes...) by allowing a slider of expenditure on it with a quarterly or annual percentage chance to actually figure it out. Only AFTER figuring it out can you begin to produce and launch the parts necessary to put the whole system into effect.

End result, you could theoretically spend yourself into oblivion and never get the tech, therefore proper expense management is required. On the other hand, you could get reasonably lucky and STILL at great expense, manage to accomplish a national goal.
~Justice

"All men die, few men truly live."
Roland040
Colonel

Post by Roland040 »

Hello what about spy satellites and inner space weapons i.e suppose Star War weapons?

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”