BGForums

BattleGoat Studios | Supreme Wiki | Facebook | Twitter @SRColdWar | Twitter @SR1936 | YouTube
It is currently Jul 26 2014

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 15 2008 
General

Khan,

You are pulling at the limit of my memory now.

I seem to recall two items: first, the general staff of the Turkish Army was all German regular officers. In fact, IIRC, Gallipoli was about to be lost until I believe it was Von Seekt took command away from Enver and solidfied the defense.

Also, Turkey harbored a couple of German battleships or battlecruisers at Constantinople. The Brits wanted to get them, but Turkish forts and mines in the straight held them up.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, a decision was made to back Germany. I also think the thought of "easy" victories against the Russians propelled them into the war.

Of course by 1921, Turkey was fighting France, Britian and the Greeks by themselves!

Regards,
Feltan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan 16 2008 
Corporal

Feltan wrote:
Khan,

You are pulling at the limit of my memory now.

I seem to recall two items: first, the general staff of the Turkish Army was all German regular officers. In fact, IIRC, Gallipoli was about to be lost until I believe it was Von Seekt took command away from Enver and solidfied the defense.

Also, Turkey harbored a couple of German battleships or battlecruisers at Constantinople. The Brits wanted to get them, but Turkish forts and mines in the straight held them up.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, a decision was made to back Germany. I also think the thought of "easy" victories against the Russians propelled them into the war.

Of course by 1921, Turkey was fighting France, Britian and the Greeks by themselves!

Regards,
Feltan

------------------------------------
It's Istanbul !!.. You may know historical info's but you should also know geographical things.. Constantinapole was a dream city at like F(antastic)R(ole)P(laying)

Istanbul is Real City.

Post subject:
General

Spider,

No offense meant.

I know it is Istanbul now, but in the 1914-1921 timeframe of which we are writing about, I believe it was referred to as Constantinople. At least in books, not sure about local usage.

Regards,
Feltan

Post subject:
General

Feltan wrote:
Spider,

No offense meant.

I know it is Istanbul now, but in the 1914-1921 timeframe of which we are writing about, I believe it was referred to as Constantinople. At least in books, not sure about local usage.

Regards,
Feltan

Feltan is right. Even the Palace archives had a double name, Istanbul(Islambol at that time) and Konstantiniyye, which meant (city of Constantine).